Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I found the following to be of interest, seeing as how I quit cigarettes over 2 years ago at age 52. Without vaping I couldn't have done it, believe me I tried for years. And yes, I was a cigalike dual user for about a month before I ran across a vaper using a mod (for clarity I use "mod" to mean a non cigalike) who had also been a dual user before he ran across someone using a mod. So cigalikes can be a gateway to quitting. So what percentage of dual use users stay dual use users? Are we (those that have quit) really such a small percentage compared to perpetual dual use cigalike users that we don't matter so screw us? Beyond that, doesn't even dual use reduce harm? "Quit or die" mentality is hard to squash, especially when big dollars are at stake due to Pharma and the States having squandered Master Settlement money they aren't getting due to ecigs. Throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir here.

<rant over>

<quote>

“And there’s a reason we’re concerned about dual use,” said Brian King, acting deputy director for research translation for the CDC’s Office on Smoking and Health. “That’s because cutting back is not enough even a few cigarettes a day are dangerous.”

Smoking just five cigarettes a day can double your risk of dying from heart disease, according to a CDC report. The good news, however, King said, is there are a lot of benefits to quitting completely.

“With heart disease, your risk is cut in half one year after quitting and that will continue to drop over time,” he said. “Even quitting at age 50 cuts your risk in half of early death from smoking related diseases.”

<end quote>

Reactions: nicnik

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Seems to me the ones who don't recognize the health benefits of cutting down on smoking are the real die-hard zealots, who believe that anyone who smokes even ONE cigarette deserves to die in horrible ways. Fortunately not all are that way; while I was unable to quit smoking when pregnant, I did go from 40 cigs to 4 a day, and my OB was quite pleased with that -- a sensible man who understood that pregnancy does not provide a magic button to enable quitting.

Andria

(ETA: and now we discover that even the die-hard quit-smoking zealots don't really mean it; they get paid to tell people to quit, but if everyone did, they'd be out of a job, so they don't REALLY want ANYONE to quit, they want us to keep smoking so they can keep getting paid to tell us to quit!)

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I think if more people started with better vaping gear, there wouldn't be as many dual users. I think they have over estimated just how many dual users there are anyway. I bought two cigalikes in the past. One was awful. The other was an emergency back up, in case I ever ran out of cigarettes. I had it stored in a little emergency bag I keep on hand. I quit smoking, then 3 days later, I started vaping. The vaping made the quitting cigarettes deal much more tolerable. I was in such a foul mood, that I most likely would have gone back to cigarettes. But then I found vaping, and the rest is history. I haven't touched a cigarette since, and it's been over 6 months now. Luckily I found ECF shortly after I quit. I had some gear issues, that got worked out. This place has been a life saver. Now there is no way I will go back to cigarettes. I already had gone to generic cigarettes anyway, from a Canadian company no less. I was a long time Marlboro smoker. But I have quit on and off, for a long time. This last smoking binge though, lasted a few years. So now that I have vaping, I am quite pleased. It keeps me from wanting a cigarette. I rarely even think about a cigarette. If cigalikes do it for people, by all means go for it. It just didn't do it for me. We don't need more regulations in this country. WE NEED LESS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread