Seriously..... When Did Vaping Get Taken Over By The Scene Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John R. L.

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2011
Milwakee
You are not alone..... I walk into my fav. vape shop, and even they know me well they look at me as "Hey Dad is here" Not a bad thing but kinda odd (in a way) I don't blow clouds really I am too a flavor chaser and have my mods and tanks and juice I like .... I have been vaping for over 5 years and have seen so many things .... Just wondering where this all going myself ... :vapor:

Reactions: OlderNDirt

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Many times this has come up; how we present ourselves and it is a big concern for me. I know that not everyone that walks into a B&M does so because they vape. The information gatherer also does. For their own awareness, an article for the public or just fact-finding so they can make a decision. Sadly, I do say fact-finding but it is more likely an impression, too.

As has been said, the appearance and presentation of the establishment is a big part of our legitimacy in the opinions of the community. Presenting a professional shop, in the business sense, is very important to the overall impression and opinion of us.

I like to go into vape shops to try flavors...and to visit and relax. I always buy something for that, but I do notice cleanliness, professional dress and behavior, and the tolerance of the shop at the moment. I travel a bit and always research and look for time to be able to visit a local shop.

As I do these things, I wonder what an information gatherer would think. I hope that all vapers and employees keep that in mind. At least step away from people rather than blow a cloud in their face.

Have courtesy.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I guess we can agree to see things differently. The way I see it, you can either have a business or you can have a hangout for a bunch of kids to play video games and vape up all your house juice. If that's how they want to run things, so be it but I don't see any of the shops in this town lasting long at that rate. And no, they're not the Hell's Angels. More like a bunch of little Chihuahuas ...... on everything to mark their territory.

As far as driving further to go to a different shop that would be an hour trip to KC. No thanks. If that's my only other option, I'd rather just spend the extra money for overnight shipping. Which is what I'll probably start doing.

We don't really see things differently, I just have a different approach with life's many challenges, any shop with a juice bar is going to be a hang out for some or even to talk shop / show off, but the shop you are explaining is obviously poorly run and they don't make you feel comfortable, and when final deeming or your state sin tax hit they probably will shut the doors.
I will tell you this, I have dined in some very posh high dollar establishments as well as craft cocktail bars that treated me the same way but in the end, I still manage to have a good attitude and experience.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
I can relate to most of what has been said within this Thread. But I too can have a conversation with just about anyone. Grim Green made a statement on one of his recent videos reviewing a Flavor type RTA that was a MTL type and stands true for most of the younger Vapers;" I've forgotten what it is like to MTL and how rewarding it can be to enjoy the flavor of the Vape; I just straight Lung inhale anymore."
It's there style of Vaping, just like the body piercings, Ear Gages, Baggy drooping pants, and so on. And I don't think it's judgmental as much as an observation of facts. A right of passage if you will, as we had ours.;):) And as for Cloud Chasing they are entitled to do so as long as they don't blow the cloud in my face as same with smoking. Respect gets respect.:cool:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Many times this has come up; how we present ourselves and it is a big concern for me. I know that not everyone that walks into a B&M does so because they vape. The information gatherer also does. For their own awareness, an article for the public or just fact-finding so they can make a decision. Sadly, I do say fact-finding but it is more likely an impression, too.

As has been said, the appearance and presentation of the establishment is a big part of our legitimacy in the opinions of the community. Presenting a professional shop, in the business sense, is very important to the overall impression and opinion of us.

I like to go into vape shops to try flavors...and to visit and relax. I always buy something for that, but I do notice cleanliness, professional dress and behavior, and the tolerance of the shop at the moment. I travel a bit and always research and look for time to be able to visit a local shop.

As I do these things, I wonder what an information gatherer would think. I hope that all vapers and employees keep that in mind. At least step away from people rather than blow a cloud in their face.

Have courtesy.
right, but unfortunately we can't dictate how business are run. These things usually work themselves out. If they don't have a good business model, they fail. Are they helping "the cause?" Maybe not, although 100 "scene kids" vaping is still 100 people not smoking.

Having a vape shop right now has to be a scary proposition. If the owner is at all aware of what is going on, they have to be considering whether or not they'll still have a business in the coming years.

Most of the vape shops I have seen that don't cater to the crowd that like to hang out, are pretty empty. I have no idea if the people who do hangout actually spend money though.

I'd rather just spend the extra money for overnight shipping. Which is what I'll probably start doing.
Which is what you should do. Spending local is admirable, but spending at a bad business promotes bad business. Maybe you don't want to be THAT guy who complains at a store, but maybe the owner doesn't know what happens when they aren't there. Bad service is bad service, but it doesn't usually change on its own.

wvloony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2015
There are 6 or 7 older guys (65ish) in our local place every Friday afternoon with their Vape pipes. They come for tea and to meet each each other / see new flavours etc. It's nice to see in my opinion. Yeah the price matching is great to be fair! Bought a Koopor Plus for £30 2 days ago, quite a nice mod as it goes, for the price anyway!
Didn't realise just how lucky I'm am!

Kanger KBOX 200 + Sub Tank Mini / Uwell Crown

75 Watt on my .24 26g twist coil - Mutation X V4 / Alliance V2

Battery Safety and Ohm's Law - onVaping Vape safe guys and gals!
Now this I swear sounds like a bumch of guys I would just love hanging out with. That to me sounds just so much fin, and relaxing

Reactions: mauricem00

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Even though I may catch grief for this, but I am afraid "excellent customer service" may be headed for the "endangered species" list. Its demise is not limited to vape shops.
Don't get me started...

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I call customer service to ask a question...
And the answer is preceded by the words, "I think..."

If I wanted an OPINION about something, I'd just use my own.
If you don't know the answer, say so, and then go find out!

wvloony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2015
I've seen all sorts of "What Not To Wear" episodes when going to job interviews. Sweats, pajama bottoms, stained t-shirts, etc, etc..... And yet these people continue to get hired. :blink:
Was actually interviewing for a job with lowes, and the young college student after me wore just that. I had five years experience working for their competitor, and didnt get hired, I bet that kid did, but cest la vie

snkrumble

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
Port Huron, MI, USA
I'm soon to be 47 years old. I've been successfully vaping for over 2 years now. I've ordered a vast majority of my stuff online but every once in awhile, I have to resort to running out to one of my local shops to get something that is an immediate need. (Ran out of cotton or my next juice delivery hasn't arrived.... etc.) Every time I go in these shops, I feel like the creepy old dude that shouldn't be there. They're filled with a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids with shaggy mop tops, gauged ears, pierced everything and skinny jeans. This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I almost never see people my age vaping out in public unless it's an eGo stick or some other similar device. No one has mods or tanks except for the young kids. Then there's me with my little IPV D2 and Smok TFV4 mini. Meanwhile, the youngsters are all sucking on 200W mods with massive quad coil drippers and puffing away on such tasty sounding flavors like Dying Unicorn Blood and Sasquatch Poop.

I've been vaping off and on practically since vaping first became publicly available. I finally found stuff that worked for me and got off analogs completely. Now I feel like some old dinosaur trying to fit into some scene I'm not a part of just to get some cotton or a roll of wire.

So seriously, when did this become a "scene" thing?

ROFL 34 here and I know exactly how you feel. I absolutely can't stand it. Sad part is I would probably buy 100x more from the shops if they "cleaned" it up a bit. Instead I only enter when it's a vape or death situation. Last time I went in the place (I have nothing against people with gauges or anything at all have plenty of friends that are covered in tattoos with piercings all over) guy at the counter basically ignored me for 5 minutes and this fruit cake that was probably no older then early EARLY 20's was leaning over the counter and just kept kept laughing like a damn hyena for no reason. Then when I asked a few questions this guy would just started laughing. Finally I ask the guy at the counter WTF is with this guy? lol.

Reminds me of this IDK but how it felt lol.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA

iStock_000074988843_Medium-624x416.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread