Should i start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typexx

Jun 21, 2017
Hi Everyone!

First of all let me introduce myself. I'm 22 ( soon 23 ) y/o guy, studying, working, doing some sports. I used to smoke cigarettes, mostly pack per week for 2 years but stopped 5 months ago. I am smoking hookahs like 3-5 times per month. To be honest I don't feel any need to smoke cig. again. True is that cigarette smoke is totally disgusting for me right now.

Why the hell you want to start vape right now, when you didn't smoke for 5 months, you might ask. There are more factors which attracts me on vaping. So I will briefly cover the most interesting for me.
First of all, the whole thing about building your ultimate setup, and especially building your coils seems really interesting to me. There are so many coils you can build (at least what i read) and every single coil will have different properties, one will be on flavor, one for clouds, and next will be good mix of both of these things.
Next thing which attracts me is that "ritual" (i would say only thing i am really missing from smoking) when you go out on terrace or balcony, light a cig. and just turn off for 5 mins., thinking about nothing, just enjoying the moment. I think this gets whole new dimension with vaping, where you actually enjoy the taste, have fun with vapor etc. I can say that I need (" I want " is better expression) some not-so-time-consuming stress relief while I'm working, I'm in some intense studying session or when life gets harder. With that being said, i don't want to vape all day all night. Just for example 4 times per day for 5-10 mins, as I say, just for stress relief.
Flavors, so many flavors. Next big reason why i want to start vape. I really like the possibility of endless number of flavors you can try while you vape or even you can mix your own flavor. I think that there is right time to say, that i want to use 0 nic. only, maybe go for 3mg in really hard times, but 99% of time 0 nic.
So guys, What do you think? So far what i saw on this forum you are being extremely helpful and you seems like such awesome community. Please, give me your honest and unbiased opinions about my situation. I know, It's totally up to me, but i want opinion of someone experienced in this topic, what are ups and downs of vaping, if there are some proved long term effects, i want to hear opinions of people who actually vape and have years of experiences with it!

Thanks for reading and thanks for your time,
Have a Great day!

PS: Sorry if there is some grammar mistakes or some unclear things. English is not my native language.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I don't think so, personally.

If it were me, I would be loathe to add additional habits to even occasional hookah smoking. Likewise, I'd hate to feel like I was taking a big step backwards after quitting smoking, and taking up vaping would certainly be a step backwards in my view.

The majority of people here are also former smokers, and the majority of those former smokers tried every which way to quit and couldn't until they started vaping. That's not you, though. You managed to do what most here could not. As such, I just can't in good conscience say it's the best idea.

Plus, you are obviously completely upfront that you are interested in vaping mostly as a hobby. There are SO many hobbies that fulfill all the things you think you'll like about vaping. You could cook. You could weld. You could woodwork. etc. etc. etc. Point is, vaping is by NO MEANS the only hobby that allows you to work with your hands, to allow you to be creative, to allow you to taste the fruits of your labor, etc.

If you feel that you are going to smoke again, then sure, yes, get an e-cig instead. If you feel you can continue without doing so, I would.

As you said, no one can stop you and I'm not fear-mongering here. It's not like there's anything so wrong with any adult picking up vaping if they want to. But you said you wanted honest opinions, and mine is that you are already in a spot many vapers wish they could get to, not using anything at all the majority of the time.

Meinxerces

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2017
Colorado
I find it interesting that the first two told you not to pick it up as a hobby because for me personally, I started vaping to quit smoking and it quickly turned into a hobby for me. Which is one of the reasons why I don't think I'll stop vaping any time soon. There are juices you can get that have no nicotine or very very low nicotine that you could start off with so you "don't go backwards". I love vaping and if someone wants to pick it up whether to quit smoking or because like you, they like hookah but don't want to go through the hassle of getting the coal hot and buying shisha, and what not. I say do it. Obviously putting nothing in your lungs is a much healthier way to go about it but if you think you might even pick up a cig out of boredom or stress then vaping is the way to go. Maybe start off with a simple kit for now. Nothing too expensive just to give it a go and see if it's for you. You can find lots of good starter kits for under 40$ most places. At the end of the day it's your decision so do you. Welcome btw.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi Everyone!

First of all let me introduce myself. I'm 22 ( soon 23 ) y/o guy, studying, working, doing some sports. I used to smoke cigarettes, mostly pack per week for 2 years but stopped 5 months ago. I am smoking hookahs like 3-5 times per month. To be honest I don't feel any need to smoke cig. again. True is that cigarette smoke is totally disgusting for me right now.

Why the hell you want to start vape right now, when you didn't smoke for 5 months, you might ask. There are more factors which attracts me on vaping. So I will briefly cover the most interesting for me.
First of all, the whole thing about building your ultimate setup, and especially building your coils seems really interesting to me. There are so many coils you can build (at least what i read) and every single coil will have different properties, one will be on flavor, one for clouds, and next will be good mix of both of these things.
Next thing which attracts me is that "ritual" (i would say only thing i am really missing from smoking) when you go out on terrace or balcony, light a cig. and just turn off for 5 mins., thinking about nothing, just enjoying the moment. I think this gets whole new dimension with vaping, where you actually enjoy the taste, have fun with vapor etc. I can say that I need (" I want " is better expression) some not-so-time-consuming stress relief while I'm working, I'm in some intense studying session or when life gets harder. With that being said, i don't want to vape all day all night. Just for example 4 times per day for 5-10 mins, as I say, just for stress relief.
Flavors, so many flavors. Next big reason why i want to start vape. I really like the possibility of endless number of flavors you can try while you vape or even you can mix your own flavor. I think that there is right time to say, that i want to use 0 nic. only, maybe go for 3mg in really hard times, but 99% of time 0 nic.
So guys, What do you think? So far what i saw on this forum you are being extremely helpful and you seems like such awesome community. Please, give me your honest and unbiased opinions about my situation. I know, It's totally up to me, but i want opinion of someone experienced in this topic, what are ups and downs of vaping, if there are some proved long term effects, i want to hear opinions of people who actually vape and have years of experiences with it!

Thanks for reading and thanks for your time,
Have a Great day!

PS: Sorry if there is some grammar mistakes or some unclear things. English is not my native language.

Hi and welcome.
At the risk of depriving the local e-cig shop of your $€£250.00 sale;

Pick up some disposables or a pod system with 0 nic if you are just "gonna" anyway.

Hobby
1: Photography- digital or otherwise. Find interesting subjects to capture.

Cheers
I

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Of course I'm going to say don't start.. lol.. so there is that.

It's certainly not as healthy as putting nothing but clean air into your lungs, but I'm sure you know that.

That said, I've smoked hookah.. that's like putting a whole pack of smokes into your lungs in a 30 minute sessions.. lol.. paired with a nice turkish coffee or two.. I understand it well..

That said, you can get the experience if you will, from vaping, plus you can get the flavor if it's hookah you like.. I actually vaped some tobacco flavor recently that was so reminiscent of hookah that I went straight away into the kitchen and made myself a nice Turkish coffee..

If you want to do it, then do. There are worse things out there for certain, such as hookah for one.. :lol:

Anyway, your choice.. I enjoy vaping, although it is something I want to quit someday i picked it up to get off the cigarettes, smoked for 32 years.. it's a hard habit to break at one point, and vaping is quite helpful as I am now a non smoker..

Your breathing is better if you don't vape or smoke, but your breathing is worse smoking than vaping, so don't expect to feel the same as a non smoker if your vaping.. (I quit vaping once for 5 months, and I can tell you there is a difference..)

That said, stay with a zero nicotine level if you can, or keep it very low nicotine if you find you want or need the nicotine for any reason.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

Asking that question here will get opinions on both sides of the argument. Therefore, it probably won't help you make a decision.

You're an adult so you can decide for yourself.

I think vaping isn't a life altering thing (except for helping people get off tobacco) like many other things you might do at a relatively young age. It's not like getting a face tattoo, for example.

Some people believe that nicotine is very addicting. I believe that nicotine is only mildly addicting. Inhaling smoke from burning tobacco is very addicting. Most likely from the combination of the chemicals in tobacco and the additives tobacco companies put in to insure you'll get addicted.

I think, even occasional, hooka is probably worse for you than vaping.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Typexx & welcome
You are asking a bunch of people, myself included, who only wish they were in your shoes of being able to live their lives without having to absorb nicotine into the bodies every few minutes. Are you really expecting us to say that vaping for a non-smoker is a good idea? Come on and get real.

You want to vape, vape. You want your lungs clean and healthy, don't. Your lungs, your choice.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay, but he's using a hookah. Unless there's no nicotine in his hookah sessions, then he's still absorbing tobacco, and god only knows what's in hookah flavorings they seem totally disgusting and perfumey to me.

On the other hand, I think it's a bit ridiculous to come here and ask everyone "Should I start?" I mean, of course, the answer is no. Take up extreme hangliding, that's a nice, stress-relieving experience. Take a sculpting class, that's interesting. If you have a musical bent, I can tell you that as a youth, some of my most peaceful times were spending 8 hour days practicing the violin, though it became MORE stressful when I informed my parents (primarily my mother, who was convinved she had the next virtuoso on her hands, and WANTED that, LOL, I was not virtuoso material, but I did like to play, sing, and etc,) that I would not be attending Julliard as planned... I went to college instead.

The point is, you're asking a rag-tag bunch of folks who vape for a variety of reasons, using a variety of equipment, and for various lengths of time, if you should vape? Sir, you are an ADULT. If you think you should vape, vape. That's totally ON YOU. I'd advise no nic if it's a "hobby". You will quickly see whether you WANT nicotine or WANT a hobby. Because, one time I quit smoking I was quite convinced I could smoke herbal cigarettes as a "hobby." I DID NOT finish the first pack, and quickly returned to smoking.

Personally, I think that you're asking a bit of a manipulative question. Do you really want to vape 0 nicotine for *fun*? I don't find myself sucking on tailpipes for a *hobby* I vape out of *need* due to the dangers of cigarettes. You're going to have to ask yourself if you have pure motives here, especially as you are still putting burning by-products into your system that contain nicotine. IMO, you have switched delivery systems and are now asking for "permission" to switch to ANOTHER delivery system with the caveat that OH you will MOSTLY use 0 nic, OR POSSIBLY 3 mg of NIC, and if you make your own builds as you say you want, that nic will be *potent*.

Look, you seem like a nice kid Why not make giving up hookahs your hobby and get on with your life?? Or, yes, if you want an opinion that e-cigs are safer than hookahs and cigarettes, IN MY OPINION they probably are.

I am not a doctor. I am not a pharmacist. I am not Big Tobacco. What I am is a person who has made a multitude of terrible decisions in my life and the one I would *most* take back would be SMOKING. I don't want to be an ex-smoker, I'm THRILLED to be a vaper as I was LITERALLY dying at the age of 43 as I am so succeptible to tobacco. I want to be the person that has NEVER tried a cigarette. I am SERIOUS. If I could take back anything, it would be that.

I'm going to have to concur with many here who state it isn't the greatest plan. Give up hookahs and go out on your balcony and learn to play the flute-- You will be inhaling, and exhaling, it will be great. Trumpet. Whatever floats your boat.

The taste is better than cigarettes, e-cigs are safer than cigarettes. THEY ARE NOT SAFER THAN FLUTES. That said, do what you want, you are going to anyway, and I can support THAT, as it's Only You in Charge Here, it's Your Very Own Life.

Good luck!

Anna

Reactions: Opinionated

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Okay, but he's using a hookah. Unless there's no nicotine in his hookah sessions, then he's still absorbing tobacco, and god only knows what's in hookah flavorings they seem totally disgusting and perfumey to me.

He didn't actually tell us what he was putting in the hookah, your guess wasn't the same as mine which is why I didn't comment on it.

Reactions: stols001

Typexx

Jun 21, 2017
Wow guys, Thanks for all of your replies! All of them were really helpful! I don't really know how to react on all of them ( or maybe i can't express myself, because of my language barrier). I will just make some points clear:

Learn to play an instrument
I'm playing on violoncello for 15 years now.

He didn't actually tell us what he was putting in the hookah
I'm using flavored tobacco leaves and coco hookahs coals

1: Photography
Check. Already take +-10 courses on different type of photos.

You could cook.
Done. Again, lots of different courses taken.

This is not some justification! Just telling you that i have different types of hobbies and i know how they are helping me. As you said, and that is effin' good point: why the hell should i put something into my lungs what doesn't belong there. I already knew that, but hear it from different people really opens your eyes, Thanks for that.

I don't want to suddenly start to vape because i think its cool or whatever. Probably just remember those times when i used to smoke, when times get harder, stressful or i got tired i just walk out, get a hit, turn off for 5-10 mins and suddenly everything was kinda better. So i thought ( and get hyped probably ) that vaping without nic. and couple of times per day for 10 mins will be a " good idea " ( don't get me wrong, i don't think that it's a good idea to start vaping after that milestone " stop smoking " ). As i say, i only want it as stress relief ( besides that builds and flavor thing) that doesn't take 2 hours from your day, and you can do it basically anytime you want to ( unlike cooking, photo session, or instrument training ).

That leads me to my next question for you. That " walk out, get a hit, turn off for 5-10 mins and suddenly everything was kinda better " thing was only nic. kick from cigarette, right? Do you think that it's even possible to get this feeling from vaping without nic? Probably not, am i right? You will be just convincing yourself that it helps you ( Like placebo effect ). Is that true?

And as i say in the beginning, thanks for all replies! Means a lot for me!

Reactions: Opinionated

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Do you have a friend who vapes? Buy a small bottle of 0 nic and ask if you can try it? I don't think you'd get the same feeling of satisfaction that you get from a cigarette which has thousands of chemicals besides nicotine, so vaping at 0 nic would be a kind of placebo effect (EXCEPT that you haven't quit nicotine yet and ALSO, until you do, starting vaping is a risky move, you will quickly start using nicotine, I can almost PROMISE because I hear myself in YOU, actually. If I wasn't smoking, I had desperate desires for all sorts of things that might be "healthier" than a cigarette. Is it worth it?) Believe me, I understand your desire for something different when it comes to substituting for a cigarette, there IS no substitute for a cigarette. And, you are already STILL SMOKING via the hookah. Is this some quick convenience thing for when you can't go suck on a hookah (the most disgusting nic device known to man, my opinion only).

If you were up for killing off the hookah, I'd go that route. If you can't do it without vaping 3 mg nic, then you can't. But, whatever you decide, be honest with yourself. YOU are LOOKING for something "like" a cigarette, and you haven't even quit yet. Not completely. If you want to transition to vaping from a hookah, it MAY be safer, and/or YOU may find yourself vaping MORE than you wanted under the impression that it was safe.

Look, you're so well rounded and have so many hobbies, why don't you join a local tobacco cessation class, a COLD TURKEY one. Then, (no hookah) reevaluate in 6 months? You have your whole life ahead of you. Vaping 0 nic is going to suck for you, it's NOT what you're looking for, IMHO. Be UPFRONT. I think you want a safer alternative to smoking and you're hoping you'll get reassured, here. Looking in my little crystal ball, I don't see my own future, let alone YOURS. Who KNOWS what will happen with vaping, for you? But, you can't justifiably hookah it up and then say you'll vape 0 nicotine. I.Do.Not. Believe. You.

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Please, give me your honest and unbiased opinions about my situation. I know, It's totally up to me, but i want opinion of someone experienced in this topic, what are ups and downs of vaping, if there are some proved long term effects, i want to hear opinions of people who actually vape and have years of experiences with it
Welcome and glad you joined.
If the benefits of vaping out way the negatives (possible life long expense commitment/habit), you have to decide.

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Wow guys, Thanks for all of your replies! All of them were really helpful! I don't really know how to react on all of them ( or maybe i can't express myself, because of my language barrier). I will just make some points clear:

I'm playing on violoncello for 15 years now.

I'm using flavored tobacco leaves and coco hookahs coals

Check. Already take +-10 courses on different type of photos.

Done. Again, lots of different courses taken.

This is not some justification! Just telling you that i have different types of hobbies and i know how they are helping me. As you said, and that is effin' good point: why the hell should i put something into my lungs what doesn't belong there. I already knew that, but hear it from different people really opens your eyes, Thanks for that.

I don't want to suddenly start to vape because i think its cool or whatever. Probably just remember those times when i used to smoke, when times get harder, stressful or i got tired i just walk out, get a hit, turn off for 5-10 mins and suddenly everything was kinda better. So i thought ( and get hyped probably ) that vaping without nic. and couple of times per day for 10 mins will be a " good idea " ( don't get me wrong, i don't think that it's a good idea to start vaping after that milestone " stop smoking " ). As i say, i only want it as stress relief ( besides that builds and flavor thing) that doesn't take 2 hours from your day, and you can do it basically anytime you want to ( unlike cooking, photo session, or instrument training ).

That leads me to my next question for you. That " walk out, get a hit, turn off for 5-10 mins and suddenly everything was kinda better " thing was only nic. kick from cigarette, right? Do you think that it's even possible to get this feeling from vaping without nic? Probably not, am i right? You will be just convincing yourself that it helps you ( Like placebo effect ). Is that true?

I have to echo most of the people here to a degree. In my opinion, it's better not to partake in any of the above habits (smoking, hookah, vaping).

Having said that you are an adult and it's your choice. I quit smoking 6 years ago. I quit nicotine 5 years ago. I still vape, not as much as I used to but regularly.

If you really think it's something that will help your stress level while keeping you off of cigarettes (and hookah? I am uneducated on the safety of that habit) then go ahead.

IF you choose to do so, I recommend like you said using zero nicotine juice even though I don't believe nicotine by itself is all that addictive. My two cents, best of luck to you.

Grimmthoughts

Jun 21, 2017
From what I read, it does seem that the nicotine is the part you enjoy, and in my opinion if its something you don't think you'll get "addicted" too in the sense of absolutely needing it to function than why not? There are plenty of other hobbies that you could do instead of building coils to learn/use knowledge of electronics as others stated but if your going to use nicotine either way it's a good alternative.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Do you have a friend who vapes? Buy a small bottle of 0 nic and ask if you can try it? I don't think you'd get the same feeling of satisfaction that you get from a cigarette which has thousands of chemicals besides nicotine, so vaping at 0 nic would be a kind of placebo effect (EXCEPT that you haven't quit nicotine yet and ALSO, until you do, starting vaping is a risky move, you will quickly start using nicotine, I can almost PROMISE because I hear myself in YOU, actually. If I wasn't smoking, I had desperate desires for all sorts of things that might be "healthier" than a cigarette. Is it worth it?) Believe me, I understand your desire for something different when it comes to substituting for a cigarette, there IS no substitute for a cigarette. And, you are already STILL SMOKING via the hookah. Is this some quick convenience thing for when you can't go suck on a hookah (the most disgusting nic device known to man, my opinion only).

If you were up for killing off the hookah, I'd go that route. If you can't do it without vaping 3 mg nic, then you can't. But, whatever you decide, be honest with yourself. YOU are LOOKING for something "like" a cigarette, and you haven't even quit yet. Not completely. If you want to transition to vaping from a hookah, it MAY be safer, and/or YOU may find yourself vaping MORE than you wanted under the impression that it was safe.

Look, you're so well rounded and have so many hobbies, why don't you join a local tobacco cessation class, a COLD TURKEY one. Then, (no hookah) reevaluate in 6 months? You have your whole life ahead of you. Vaping 0 nic is going to suck for you, it's NOT what you're looking for, IMHO. Be UPFRONT. I think you want a safer alternative to smoking and you're hoping you'll get reassured, here. Looking in my little crystal ball, I don't see my own future, let alone YOURS. Who KNOWS what will happen with vaping, for you? But, you can't justifiably hookah it up and then say you'll vape 0 nicotine. I.Do.Not. Believe. You.

Anna

Now why not tell him how you really feel Anna. :lol:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh, I could have been much more emphatic than that :) I just.... it's such a great idea to go into this with some ah, spatial awareness, is what I will deem it, about what and why you're doing it.

I still think he should vape if he wants, I just think, hey, know why you're doing it. Maybe 0 nic will work. Maybe.

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

The relaxing thing about smoking isn't the nicotine or the other chemicals that are in tobacco.. all that has the opposite effect. (Unless your adhd)

So what is relaxing about smoking is the fact you go somewhere quiet, sit down and take several large deep breaths over a period of several minutes, and just stop thinking/doing.

THAT'S something you don't need nicotine, vaping or smoking to achieve.. you do it without inhaling anything but air..

You can go out on your deck or wherever you used to smoke, and just sit and take some deep breaths, do deep breathing exercises and relax and don't think about anything.. :)

See if that works for you because THAT'S why smokers feel calmer.. (again, unless they are adhd)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I'm ADHD so I can't comment on that theory. I think some of the other stuff (the MAOI effect) can be relaxing for non-ADHD folks. I agree on the taking a break, going outside, and deep breathing and meditation. I did all those things while smoking, and none of them were the same as smoking. But, it's worth a try. I'm still enjoying the idea of the guy relaxingly playing the flute off his balcony, though.... That will do the trick with deep breathing and it's hard to play a flute while obsessing about anything other than playing the flute. :) Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread