Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I have to disagree. One of mine started acting up almost immediately and ricks' all started failing within a few months. Way too soon to be worn out from cycling through the menu. Most of the stuff that I vape is with a 1.8 to 2.0 ohm coil at 7 to 8 watts so I hardly ever go into the menu system. It's just sigelei cutting costs on the one part that shouldn't have been skimped on. If you figure the cost to sigelei for the buttons I ordered from Digi Key would probably be pennies on the dollar for the quantity they would purchase, it's hard to figure why they would not put a good button in there. Especially after so many documented instances of the button failing. I'm hoping I can successfully repair them. I don't feel like looking for something else!
I've replaced 2 so far. I'm constantly adjusting all my gear. I raise and lower my wattages constantly. From 8 to 12 watts. I prefer a 3 button device over a single one.

Reactions: VapieDan

fairmana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
I have to disagree. One of mine started acting up almost immediately and ricks' all started failing within a few months. Way too soon to be worn out from cycling through the menu. Most of the stuff that I vape is with a 1.8 to 2.0 ohm coil at 7 to 8 watts so I hardly ever go into the menu system. It's just Sigelei cutting costs on the one part that shouldn't have been skimped on. If you figure the cost to Sigelei for the buttons I ordered from Digi Key would probably be pennies on the dollar for the quantity they would purchase, it's hard to figure why they would not put a good button in there. Especially after so many documented instances of the button failing. I'm hoping I can successfully repair them. I don't feel like looking for something else!

Yup, I also believe it's a simple matter of a cheap part. All my switches have failed within the first 2 or 3 months of use (two V3's and one V5). Friends and family members that own these have had the same problem. Needless to say, I've done quite of few of these switch replacements.

Check out my YouTube videos on replacing the button as well as inserting a spacer to prevent circuit board from shifting (parts 1 and 2).

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
It's a shame that Sigelei put such a flimsy tactile switch inside the ZMAX line. Everything else about these rigs are first rate, right down to the stainless steel 510 threading. With a replacement switch the V3s and V5s keep running and looking good just about forever. The Omron switches from Digikey are made in China like the Sigelei switches but are much higher quality. While I am carping about otherwise great rigs that I have used every day for years I'll add that Sigelei should have never cheaped out with the chrome plated plastic button and should have stuck with either the clear plastic or stainless steel buttons. Sigelei should update these rigs with vented top caps, spring loaded center pins and nice laser etchings but I'm not on their payroll and they don't reply to emails.

Original Sigelei V5 innards with black-topped switch.
boardsa.jpg

Switch replaced with $.76 yellow-topped Omron switch.
20140825_152050a.jpg

One of my V5s after switch replacement.
20140825_222615a.jpg

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Here's mine taken apart. My board did not have the cradle. It was a very simple plastic piece that held it in. Mine has the clear plastic button.

Attachments

• 0319151819-1.jpg
    0319151819-1.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0319151819a-1.jpg
    0319151819a-1.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 0321151221b-1.jpg
    0321151221b-1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: molimelight

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Original button still working fine at over a year of adv.

And I was the first to come out and say it sucked the first week I got it. Yzer even deemed it defective at the time. But noalox, and board retainer pretty much solved all the issues. Along with button spin trick...

Original Switch still good on v3 over a year all day every day.

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
Yup, I also believe it's a simple matter of a cheap part. All my switches have failed within the first 2 or 3 months of use (two V3's and one V5). Friends and family members that own these have had the same problem. Needless to say, I've done quite of few of these switch replacements.

Check out my YouTube videos on replacing the button as well as inserting a spacer to prevent circuit board from shifting (parts 1 and 2).

Fairmana I just got done watching the second one and feel much more confident about doing it now. Great videos, especially for your first ones! I find it hard to just take photos of projects because I get one step done successfully and I want to move on to the next one and forget about the photo, so I really appreciate the care you took to walk it through.

It's a shame that Sigelei put such a flimsy tactile switch inside the ZMAX line. Everything else about these rigs are first rate, right down to the stainless steel 510 threading. With a replacement switch the V3s and V5s keep running and looking good just about forever. The Omron switches from Digikey are made in China like the Sigelei switches but are much higher quality. While I am carping about otherwise great rigs that I have used every day for years I'll add that Sigelei should have never cheaped out with the chrome plated plastic button and should have stuck with either the clear plastic or stainless steel buttons. Sigelei should update these rigs with vented top caps, spring loaded center pins and nice laser etchings but I'm not on their payroll and they don't reply to emails.

I wish they would put you on their payroll Yzer. We'd wind up with a working man's Provari! Thanks for all your photos and your sharing your experience in repairing these also. I might PM you with a battery question some time. I just bought two LED lights, one is the Olight Javelot with a 800 meter throw and the other is a tiny Zebralight headlight for working on things. Just wasn't sure about cross use of the batteries for the flashlights and the V3. Oh, and congratulations on you r passing another year off of the cigarettes.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I just bought two LED lights, one is the Olight Javelot with a 800 meter throw and the other is a tiny Zebralight headlight for working on things. Just wasn't sure about cross use of the batteries for the flashlights and the V3. Oh, and congratulations on you r passing another year off of the cigarettes.
Thanks, motimelight. The 18650s you use for rigs like these Sigeleis will work fine for high power LED flashlights that use 18650 but it won't work the other way around. APVs use a much higher amp draw than flashlights. After all, APVs are powering electronics circuits plus a power-hungry heating element. The only way to know for sure is to know the amp draw of the Olight.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I see both of yours (currently on Android/Samsung Tablet) :)
Signatures do not appear on my smartphone. I am using Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and Firefox mobile. Not using mobile version or ECF mobile app. I see signatures fine on the desktop running Windows 7 and Firefox.

Reactions: JeremyR

fairmana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
I had a nice little shortcut on my Firefox toolbar that would take me directly to the latest post on this thread. Since they gave ECF the current facelift, that link doesn't work anymore. Now I have to navigate to the first page of the thread and click the last page. Anyone know how to link the latest post in an ECF thread under the new forum config?

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I had a nice little shortcut on my Firefox toolbar that would take me directly to the latest post on this thread. Since they gave ECF the current facelift, that link doesn't work anymore. Now I have to navigate to the first page of the thread and click the last page. Anyone know how to link the latest post in an ECF thread under the new forum config?

While you're in this thread, click the "watch thread" button at the top right of the page. You can set it up to alert you each time there's a new post in the thread and you can just click on the alert to go to the first new post. If you don't want an alert, just click on the "watched threads" link near the top center of the page to see any of your watched threads that have new posts. Click on the little blue button to the left of the thread title to go to the first unread post. Hope that helps.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Signatures do not appear on my smartphone. I am using Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and Firefox mobile. Not using mobile version or ECF mobile app. I see signatures fine on the desktop running Windows 7 and Firefox.
I hate to quote myself but ECF is now working fine for me on Android including signatures. It helps to be logged on to see the signatures on Android, just like when using a desktop. duh.

Reactions: ricks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread