Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5 Telescopic: User's Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Here is a thread to report your experiences after using sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic for at least seven days. Please let us know which sigelei Zmax Telescopic you are using. sigelei has cranked out new models so fast it is important to know model specifics. Some features or issues may be unique to certain models and versions.

I have the Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic (flat top). It looks like this.

SigeleiZMV3TFT.jpg

During the first days that I used this Sigelei I noticed that it could take a minute or two for the unit to respond after doing a battery change. That is no longer the case. I power the Sigelei down with menu item #1 before changing batteries. When the battery cap is screwed on the Sigelei name appears on the OLED screen and goes out. After pressing the button three times once or twice the Sigelei name scrolls across the screen, reads SYSTEM ON and goes out. Three more clicks brings the menu up and I use menu item #1 to power up the device fully. I don't know why I encountered longer boot-up times during the first few days.

I have been running the Sigelei with the following settings:

-Menu item #5: LCD Display: Voltage
-Menu item #6: LCD ON/OFF: ON
-Menu item #7: Power Voltage: Power (this selects variable wattage instead of variable voltage mode)
-Menu item #8: RMS & Mean: RMS

With these settings the Sigelei operates in variable power (variable wattage) mode with power and voltage calculated by RMS. When the button is pushed to vape the screen lights up and gives the output power in watts. The menu #5 selection (voltage) means that my remaining battery voltage shows up on menu item #4.

I had problems with switch operation on Saturday evening. This issue has not happened again. I noticed a little white powder on the battery tube right next to the button. I blew this off and blew into the button housing as well. Maybe some plastic dust caused this issue as the plastic button wore-in against the tube. It could be that I wasn't depressing the button fully. My previous APV had a lighter touch on the button.

I've been using flat top E-fest IMR 18650 and 18500 most of time. No problems with flat top versions of these batteries. However, the flat top 18350 was too short to make good contact with the battery spring. I stretched the spring a little to correct this issue.

The battery tube threads were well machined but squeaky and gritty-feeling. I cleaned all tube threads with a damp rag and applied a thin film of Vasoline to the threads.

A week later I'm used to using this excellent APV. The Sigelei Zmax flat top is very nicely detailed in brushed stainless steel. I like the feel and sound of the button. The telescoping battery tube feels solid when the battery spring is properly torqued down. No need to over tighten the spring. The OLED screen on my unit was only slightly tilted and not as bad as the tilt I saw on a unit featured in a Pbusardo video. It's very easy to change vaping power and to check the battery voltage. I can also check atomizer resistance. This Sigelei feels pretty heavy for its size but I like that.

I picked the Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic flat top to celebrate one year without smoking. That's today. I'm very happy with my present and have little doubt that I'll still be using this APV next April.

Reactions: Foggy Road

El_tecolote

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic (flat top): Been using mine now for the last four days and have found it a fairly well built, nicely functioning VV/VW device. My only complaint out of the box was the gritty threads which was remedied with a little cleaning and Vaseline. Not a big fan of the plastic button...it functions as it should but detracts from the overall appearance of the mod. Hoping to see this in the $50 range within a couple months...I'll buy another.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I watched all three of the Pbusardo Sigelei Zmax reviews before buying the V3 Telescopic. He reviewed the Sigelei ZMAX V1, the V2 and did a preview of the V3 Telescopic. I watched them all again last night.

One of the things Pbusardo didn't like about V1 and V2 was the loss of some settings from memory during battery changes. This is corrected in my V3. During a battery change all settings remain in memory if I was using the power mode (variable wattage). This includes the wattage I was using prior to power off. If V3 is used in variable voltage mode before a battery change then all settings will be remembered except one: the voltage setting that I was using prior to power down and changing the battery. In VV mode the user voltage will revert to 3.0V on power up and will need a quick reset to whatever voltage you were using previously. All other settings remain unchanged in VV.

The reason behind reverting to 3.0V in VV use after a battery change is safety. Say you were using a high resistance atomizer device at higher voltage prior to battery change. If you should happen to change out to a low resistance atomizer during that battery change and fire it at that the higher voltage remaining in memory then you could fry the low resistance atomizer.

There is no need for this safety provision if the V3 is used in VW mode. The Sigelei always checks resistance of the atomizing device and selects the correct voltage for your selected power level automatically. Selected power level is saved during battery changes in VW mode. Furthermore, say I'm using 6.5 watts in VW mode, switch to VV mode at 4.0V for a while and change out the battery. When I power the V3 back up I'm in VV at the reset 3.0V. If I go to menu item #7 and switch back to VW it resets to the last power level I used prior to the battery change: 6.5 watts. I like these smarts.

marsos52

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
new jersey
ive had my Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic mod for exactly one week now, before having this i was using a ZMAX no telescoping mod

i like the flat top a lot better for its looks, the first two days i felt awkward getting and keeping my settings, now all is good.
the only thing i learned is that i cant wear sunglasses when checking and adjusting setting on the menu, why? because the screen looks black and can see the digits.

all in all this is a great mod

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
ive had my Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic mod for exactly one week now, before having this i was using a ZMAX no telescoping mod

i like the flat top a lot better for its looks, the first two days i felt awkward getting and keeping my settings, now all is good.
the only thing i learned is that i cant wear sunglasses when checking and adjusting setting on the menu, why? because the screen looks black and can see the digits.

all in all this is a great mod
I checked out the OLED screen while wearing polarized sunglasses and saw the same effect. Good catch!

I notice the same thing with LCD instrument displays on my boat while wearing polarized sunglasses. Like LCD displays, the OLED display on the Sigelei must generate polarized light.

Two solutions: tilt your head until the display appears or rotate the Sigelei until the display appears. Maximum blackout of the polarized displays will be 45 degrees from maximum visibility.

Aikhme

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2013
Adelaide
I checked out the OLED screen while wearing polarized sunglasses and saw the same effect. Good catch!

I notice the same thing with LCD instrument displays on my boat while wearing polarized sunglasses. Like LCD displays, the OLED display on the Sigelei must generate polarized light.

Two solutions: tilt your head until the display appears or rotate the Sigelei until the display appears. Maximum blackout of the polarized displays will be 45 degrees from maximum visibility.

What are you using on top of it? Tank with carto?

What resistance?

Is it a bit funky in 18650 mode?

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
What are you using on top of it? Tank with carto?

What resistance?

Is it a bit funky in 18650 mode?
I'm using it with a single coil 2.0 ohm XL carto and carto tank.

Measurements of Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic flat top (battery cap end to top of 510 connector only)

-Outside diameter is about 7/8" or 23mm.
-With 18650 the Sigelei tube is fully extended at 5 1/32" or 128mm long.
-With 18500 it's 4 7/16" or 112mm long.
-At 18350 the tube is fully closed down and measures 4 1/8" or 105 mm.

The telescopic tube feels solid with very little free play at all extended lengths. The measurements for extended lengths will vary a little depending on battery make. Flat tops that I use are shorter than button tops. Some people may tighten the battery spring more than I do and get shorter lengths. At 18350 I can carry the Sigelei in a pants pocket all day long. 18500 fits in a pocket fine for short trips. I usually use the 18650s only at home.

The photo in post #1 is about right for what the Sigelei looks like with 18650 on the left and 18500 on the right.

Last edited:

pdxtechdoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
pdxtechdoctor
I watched all three of the Pbusardo Sigelei Zmax reviews before buying the V3 Telescopic. He reviewed the Sigelei ZMAX V1, the V2 and did a preview of the V3 Telescopic. I watched them all again last night.

One of the things Pbusardo didn't like about V1 and V2 was the loss of some settings from memory during battery changes. This is corrected in my V3. During a battery change all settings remain in memory if I was using the power mode (variable wattage). This includes the wattage I was using prior to power off. If V3 is used in variable voltage mode before a battery change then all settings will be remembered except one: the voltage setting that I was using prior to power down and changing the battery. In VV mode the user voltage will revert to 3.0V on power up and will need a quick reset to whatever voltage you were using previously. All other settings remain unchanged in VV.

The reason behind reverting to 3.0V in VV use after a battery change is safety. Say you were using a high resistance atomizer device at higher voltage prior to battery change. If you should happen to change out to a low resistance atomizer during that battery change and fire it at that the higher voltage remaining in memory then you could fry the low resistance atomizer.

There is no need for this safety provision if the V3 is used in VW mode. The Sigelei always checks resistance of the atomizing device and selects the correct voltage for your selected power level automatically. Selected power level is saved during battery changes in VW mode. Furthermore, say I'm using 6.5 watts in VW mode, switch to VV mode at 4.0V for a while and change out the battery. When I power the V3 back up I'm in VV at the reset 3.0V. If I go to menu item #7 and switch back to VW it resets to the last power level I used prior to the battery change: 6.5 watts. I like these smarts.

I've had mine for a week as well.. same thing with the threads, very squeaky.. I really wouldn't recommend using vaseline on the threads.. it can't hurt I imagine, but this is a better option..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-No...-Joint-Compound-30-024/202276207#.UXd4g7UqaBw

I picked some up and they are butter smooth..

One thing that aggravates me is that is DOES NOT keep the LCD display setting.. if you change it do display either battery voltage or resistance it always reverts back to displaying the output power.. I keep mine set to resistance so I can check coils after a build...

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I agree that Noalox is a better thread lubricant but I use Vaseline because it is nontoxic.

I just checked menu item #5 LCD Display and you are absolutely right. It won't remember the resistance setting after a battery change and reverts to the Voltage setting (output power in watts). I haven't tried this with the device in VV mode, though.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Here is the MSDS for Noalox. Note what it says about skin contact, eye contact and ingestion.

http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/msds/noalox_anti-oxidant.pdf

Vaseline MSDS looks a lot better. The product is safe to use on the lips. It should last longer as a lubricant on APV threads because it is practically insoluble in glycerol (VG) or water. Noalox is water soluble and APVs tend to produce a lot of water vapor. Vaseline used to be included with gun cleaning kits and was issued to GIs in WW2 for lubricating and waterproofing weapons parts.

http://www.dosha.org/msds/Vaseline Petroleum Jelly.pdf

Last edited:

Rush808

Feb 16, 2013
Socal
I've had mine for a week as well..

One thing that aggravates me is that is DOES NOT keep the LCD display setting.. if you change it do display either battery voltage or resistance it always reverts back to displaying the output power.. I keep mine set to resistance so I can check coils after a build...

I've never had that problem... I had used all settings. Normally keep it on ohms for the first few hours after wrapping a new coil.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Re: pdxtechdoxtor post #13:

Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescopic flat top. Menu Item #5: LCD Display.
In Power mode my unit will not remember settings of Battery or Resistance after a battery change. It will default to Power and remembers the user's last setting for power in watts. In Voltage mode it does not remember settings of Battery or Resistance after a battery change. It will default to Voltage but does not remember the user's last voltage setting in volts, instead it defaults to 3.0V.

Menu Items #6, #7, and #8 are remembered in Voltage or Power modes after a battery change.

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This is a little annoying for me. Somehow, I continue to get into the menu while vaping.

Today it happened right after the first pull. Other times it has happened after chain vaping.

I was thinking that I may have been taking my pulls too quickly (one after another, after another). but after today's issue, with it happening on the second pull, I'm thinking I may have a defective unit....

I'll have to keep an eye on it, would suck if it's defective:(

Otherwise, this thing is a beast and I love it!

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
This is a little annoying for me. Somehow, I continue to get into the menu while vaping.

Today it happened right after the first pull. Other times it has happened after chain vaping.

I was thinking that I may have been taking my pulls too quickly (one after another, after another). but after today's issue, with it happening on the second pull, I'm thinking I may have a defective unit....

I'll have to keep an eye on it, would suck if it's defective:(

Otherwise, this thing is a beast and I love it!

If I am to understand you correctly, the PV is pulsing on its own, as you have constant pressure on the firing button?

- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread