Status
Not open for further replies.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
That's very interesting, VapieDan. However, it's not all that surprising. sigelei is evolving the marketing cycle of the V5 by reducing costs and selling it for less. I can't remember how many products I have seen during my life that followed this marketing life cycle but it must be in the thousands, including GMC cars, Maytag appliances and Sony electronics.

A photo of your new V5 next to an older production V5 would be really interesting.

By any chance, have you checked the firmware version of your V5 from vaporbeast? Is it SI V2.0a? Does it have Menu Item #9?

Two battery caps or one? This has varied depending on which batch the vendor is selling for years. Vented top caps appeared on some V5s sold by fasttech over a year ago.

As for the future of any tube APV designed primarily for the less than 20W market, who knows? The market for big, expensive e-cigs is changing just like the market for cell phones has changed. Remember when cellphones didn't have LCD screens on them?

I will get back with more specifics tomorrow. Too tired. Only 1 cap the small one. Argh!

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

This is interesting. Specified only one end cap. I wonder if larger or small?

Includes:

1 Zmax V5 (includes 1 end cap, not 2 like other sigelei apv's)

1 Black USB Cell Charging Adapter

1 Sigelei Gift Box

Reactions: aikanae1

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I know dual end caps were offerred at one time but it's been awhile since I've seen them. I don't know when they cut them out. I guess one of the values of having a legacy zmax is the extra caps since all the tubes and threading seem interchangable.

This is interesting. Specified only one end cap. I wonder if larger or small?

Includes:

1 Zmax V5 (includes 1 end cap, not 2 like other sigelei apv's)

1 Black USB Cell Charging Adapter

1 Sigelei Gift Box

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
The Zmax saga continues. I just received the V5 from VaporBeast that was on sale for $14.97 a week ago. It appears they have cut corners . The stainless has a very slight brass or gold hue. I suspect a cheaper grade of stainless steel. All threaded parts do interchange with older units. The slotted top cap allows a flush atomizer fit however the flat top surface has not been finished to a semi bright polish like the rest of the mod. Chrome like plated plastic button with logo. An oval Sigelei logo above the fire button. The words Sigelei v5 are not etched in the side as pictured. There is no USB adapter but was stated not included in listing. I wonder if this has been factory omitted as a cost cutting measure. More serious no large bottom battery cap. This reall

How does it work?

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I know dual end caps were offerred at one time but it's been awhile since I've seen them. I don't know when they cut them out. I guess one of the values of having a legacy zmax is the extra caps since all the tubes and threading seem interchangable.
It really depends on what batch of V3s or V5s a particular vendor is selling at a given time. The only "legacy" Sigelei V3 or V5 I know of is the first version V3. The first version V3 has a non-removable top tap, brass ego threading, old-style board and display mounts and early version firmware. These were all upgraded during the summer of 2013. There is no early version of the V5. My first V3 purchased in April 2013 (first version) had the tall cap only. A V3 (second version) and a V5 I purchased in 2014 had both battery caps. The V5 I purchased last month came with both battery caps. If there is one sure thing that we have learned from all of the posts in this long thread it's that the Sigelei V3 and V5 will vary from batch to batch as they leave the factory. Some of these specifics may have been mandated by the distributor making the order from Sigelei. Some batches have two battery caps, some don't. The button material will vary as will the laser etched logos. The smokey clear plastic buttons were common at first. A very few stainless steel buttons were seen last year. Clear plastic buttons have been seen and the most common button material lately is chrome plated plastic stamped with a power symbol. Vented top caps began to appear on V5s last year and are becoming more common on recent units.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I should add a word about a word and that word is "discontinued". Discontinued on a vendor site means that the vendor will not restock the item after their in-house inventory runs out. It does not necessarily mean that the device is no longer in production by Sigelei.

I'm just assuming that FastTech sells about as many V3s and V5s as anyone else and they probably have some of the factory freshest units available. The Sigelei factory site lists Sigelei Zmax Mini, V2, V3 and V5 available for wholesale buyers. FastTech currently sells all of these (at non-closeout prices) but have the body-only V2 listed as discontinued.

Various folks on this thread predicted the imminent disappearance of the Sigelei V3 nearly two years ago and the V5 a year ago. It hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
My four Sigeleis pose for a group photo several minutes ago. All of these work. Three of the four are backups so I'm prepped for the vaping apocalypse.
Left to right...

1. First generation V3. Acquired 4-2013. Used every day for a year. The original switch will misfire once in a while but I'm too lazy to install the replacement Omron switch. Paid approx. $60.
2. Second generation V3. Acquired 1-2014. Used every day for several months. Never misfired a single time. Paid approx. $40.
3. V5 with SS button and nice laser etchings. Acquired 4-2014. Used every single day right up to today. Shown sized for 18500 battery. Original switch failed 8-2014 and user-replaced with Omron switch. Paid approx. $42.
4. V5 with chrome-plated button and no laser etchings. Acquired as a backup unit 4-2015 and used for about 20 minutes to test. Paid approx. $20.
069.jpg

fairmana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
I thought I'd throw this out there...

I had a weird glitch happen on my V5 several days ago. For no apparent reason, all of a sudden whenever I tried to take a hit, I got a "Warning!" screen, followed 2 seconds later by a screen displaying "No Smoking!". I had to remove and replace the battery to clear it. After a quick search on the web, I found out that this is the message you'd normally see if you press the fire button while you have the mobile charging feature turned on (menu 9). I wasn't aware of it because I've never used that feature before. Needless to say, the message threw me for a loop. At first I thought it was some kind of Sigelei "Easter Egg" hidden in the firmware, LOL.

It's been several days and it hasn't happened again. The battery was at about half charge when it happened, so I don't think the battery influenced the glitch. The button is working perfectly but I haven't ruled out accidental button presses getting me into that part of the menu while I wasn't vaping, so that's a possible explanation. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it ever happens again.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA

I had a weird glitch happen on my V5 several days ago. For no apparent reason, all of a sudden whenever I tried to take a hit, I got a "Warning!" screen, followed 2 seconds later by a screen displaying "No Smoking!". I had to remove and replace the battery to clear it. After a quick search on the web, I found out that this is the message you'd normally see if you press the fire button while you have the mobile charging feature turned on (menu 9). I wasn't aware of it because I've never used that feature before. Needless to say, the message threw me for a loop. At first I thought it was some kind of Sigelei "Easter Egg" hidden in the firmware, LOL.

It's been several days and it hasn't happened again. The battery was at about half charge when it happened, so I don't think the battery influenced the glitch. The button is working perfectly but I haven't ruled out accidental button presses getting me into that part of the menu while I wasn't vaping, so that's a possible explanation. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it ever happens again.
Crazy... That would have scared me... lol

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California

I had this happen twice with a V5. It happened once when I was running a nearly dead (3.3 to 3.4V) battery. I never found out what really caused this glitch. It wouldn't hurt to check all of your menu settings to make sure everything is the way you want it (including Menu Item #9, which should be OFF unless you are using the cell phone charger attachment).

The other time it happened when I was running a tired old Efest red 18500 that had way over 300 charge cycles on it and wasn't performing well. I also noticed my vape tasting burnt at the same time. Menu Item #8 was set at MEAN instead of the usual RMS.

In truth, I can't really nail down what caused the WARNING! and NO SMOKING messages (I didn't know I could smoke with a Sigelei, anyway). But it happened way back last fall and hasn't happened since.

fairmana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
I'm sorry to hear you've experienced the same issue Yzer, however I'm relieved to know it's not something specific to just my device. The battery I was using has seen quite a few cycles so even though it wasn't what I would consider at low charge, there is still a possibility it was the culprit if it's output performance was degraded (or it's contacts were dirty, etc). I should also mention that I checked all menu settings after clearing the glitch and everything was still set correctly. I wish I had thought to check "menu 9" while the glitch was happening to see if it had somehow been toggled to "ON". At the time, I had no idea that the error message was related to the mobile charge feature so I didn't know to check. You can be sure that if it ever happens again "menu 9" will be the first thing I look at.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
Second time with my new V5 when a battery gets low, the watts suddenly changes to a high number. I always have it at 8 watts. I get a strange vape and check the screen. Last time it showed 12w and this time 10.5 but when I went to the power down menu is was at 15. I think these newer chips are doing strange things when the battery is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread