Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5 Telescopic: User's Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairmana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
Second time with my new V5 when a battery gets low, the watts suddenly changes to a high number. I always have it at 8 watts. I get a strange vape and check the screen. Last time it showed 12w and this time 10.5 but when I went to the power down menu is was at 15. I think these newer chips are doing strange things when the battery is low.

If the battery is low in the V5, it's not uncommon to see a lower wattage displayed on the screen because the device can't provide enough output to reach the existing setting. The V5 will only display the power that it is capable of providing, so that's likely why you saw 12 watts and then 10.5 watts displayed when the power setting was actually set at 15 watts. I see this all the time when my battery is getting low. I'll have my V5 set to 8 watts, but I'll get a crappy hit and look down and see that I'm only outputting 6.5 or 7 watts. Time to change the battery. You'd think you'd get a low battery warning before this happens, but it's probably because the battery is at a point where it's not low enough (3.2 volts?) but at the same time can't handle the current requirements to meet the existing power setting. This likely happens more often with batteries that have seen quite a few charge cycles (which mine have) or are not the "high drain" batteries. Just a guess on my part.

As far as how it got set at 15 watts, are you sure your switch isn't starting to fail and you're accidentally getting into the menu when you're holding the fire button down? I've had that happen to me multiple times when my switch was starting to go bad (3 different Zmax's). A failing switch can can act intermittently causing the device to see multiple button presses when you're actually just holding the button down. This can cause you to scroll through the menu and change your power values without knowing it. Many times I'd discover that my power was all of a sudden set to a much higher wattage exactly as you are describing.

I'm not saying it isn't possible that your chip is doing strange things, but I recommend that you first verify it isn't a failing switch. Hopefully your switch is the problem since you can always replace it. If the chip is bad there isn't much you can do about it unfortunately. Best of luck and I hope you get this straightened out.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Sounds more like the common switch issue. Try a switch rotate a few times by pushing hard on the button and spinning while powered down. This cleans contacts.. Continue ocassionally till it fires better. Mines still original and working well over a year old.. no issues at all.

And my friend I loaned it to still uses it daily, no complaints. Still original button.. These tricks work.

If the card slid it will need to be retained to maintain alignment.

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
hello all.

I finally upgraded to a mod and recieved my zmax v 5 earlier this week. I have been reading up on battery safety a lot but some things still go over my head. I am still using the stock batteries it came with but plan on buying some aw imr's next payday from kidneypuncher. I have been pleased with my orders from them in the past. I just want to be sure that i am getting safe batteries.

This is the battery I am planning on ordering
AW IMR 18650 20A - Kidney Puncher

Also what charger should I get?

I have to say I am very happy with my sigelei. It is leagues better than my ego twists!

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
I've bought several batteries from KP. Seem authentic and at their prices no need to give counterfeit ones. That one will be fine but get at least two so you have one to swap.

The VP4 is highly thought of around here and has a two year warranty. Of course it is out of stock.

I have an emailed discount code MayTenOff good until 5/22

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
I've bought several batteries from KP. Seem authentic and at their prices no need to give counterfeit ones. That one will be fine but get at least two so you have one to swap.

The VP4 is highly thought of around here and has a two year warranty. Of course it is out of stock.

I have an emailed discount code MayTenOff good until 5/22

Thanks. You have put my mind at ease. I will be buying one 18650 and two 18350's. I like using the shorter batteries when I'm just at home and the large batteries for when I am on the go.

Unfortunately pay day wont be until next week for me but thanks for the code offer.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
hello all.

I finally upgraded to a mod and recieved my zmax v 5 earlier this week. I have been reading up on battery safety a lot but some things still go over my head. I am still using the stock batteries it came with but plan on buying some aw imr's next payday from kidneypuncher. I have been pleased with my orders from them in the past. I just want to be sure that i am getting safe batteries.

This is the battery I am planning on ordering
AW IMR 18650 20A - Kidney Puncher

Also what charger should I get?

I have to say I am very happy with my sigelei. It is leagues better than my ego twists!
AW batteries are a very good pairing with the V5. Keep in mind that the current is limited to 5 amps on the V5 so a 20 amp battery is giving you a lot of safety overhead.

I vape 6.5 to 7.0 watts and have been perfectly happy using Efest red IMR batteries. My favorite is the 18500. When I bought some of these last year they cost $6 and change apiece. Also very happy with the Nitecore I-4 battery charger I've been using for two years.

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
AW batteries are a very good pairing with the V5. Keep in mind that the current is limited to 5 amps on the V5 so a 20 amp battery is giving you a lot of safety overhead.

I vape 6.5 to 7.0 watts and have been perfectly happy using Efest red IMR batteries. My favorite is the 18500. When I bought some of these last year they cost $6 and change apiece. Also very happy with the Nitecore I-4 battery charger I've been using for two years.

Thanks for the info. SO the Efest batteries are just as good as the AW? They are a lot lower priced so I may go with them instead of the AW's.

Reactions: aikanae1

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The AW red IMRs are better batteries with higher continuous amp ratings than Efest reds but they cost more. Are the AWs safer than the Efests in the V5? I doubt it. Will you notice better performance with AW in the V5 instead of Efest? I doubt it. 101 Vape has good prices on Efest and that's who I purchase from most of the time.

With the red Efest IMRs you have the choice of V1 or V2. V1 is flat top, V2 is button top. You can use either one in the V5.

solipsistic xerophyte

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
southern california
The AW red IMRs are better batteries with higher continuous amp ratings than Efest reds but they cost more. Are the AWs safer than the Efests in the V5? I doubt it. Will you notice better performance with AW in the V5 instead of Efest? I doubt it. 101 Vape has good prices on Efest and that's who I purchase from most of the time.

Awesome thanks for the help.

Reactions: yzer

fairmana

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melbourne, Florida
I remember reading in this thread that not everyone is receiving both battery caps when they order their Zmax. Which one are they getting? The short or the long battery cap? I can't remember, but I'm assuming (hoping) they are getting the short one. The long battery cap doesn't seem to provide much spring tension with the shorter 18350's. It's unfortunate that you can see the threads on the telescopic portion of the tube when using the short cap and an 18650, but at least that cap can achieve good spring tension for all battery lengths.

By the way, how do we search this thread now that ECF has gotten it's recent facelift? I can't seem to find a link on this page anywhere like we used to have. Sorry if this was already mentioned and answered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread