Single 18650 mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigolac

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2015
I'm very much new to vaping, so please bear with me...

I've got a dozen or so 18650 Samsung/Sony cells that I rotate for flashlights at work. I'm looking for a single cell mod that is cylindrical and would be portable/durable for the job. Any suggestions? I would probably pair this with an Aspire nautilus or maybe a kayfun v4.

Of course, bang for the buck would be appreciated - heck - used would be great as well - I'm just going to beat the hell out of it at work anyway....

Fanciness with displays and such would be appreciated, but not necessary.

TIA - Adam

Reactions: thetrucker

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
If you don't mind the size the Innokin SVD 2.0 is a great tube mod. In 18650 mode it's a bit tall for my taste, but my wife has one and loves it. It's rock solid and works great up to 20W. It also comes with a smaller tube for 18350 batteries if you want something shorter.

innokin-itaste-svd-20.jpg

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY

I've got a dozen or so 18650 Samsung/Sony cells that I rotate for flashlights at work. I'm looking for a single cell mod that is cylindrical and would be portable/durable for the job. Any suggestions? I would probably pair this with an Aspire Nautilus or maybe a Kayfun v4.

Of course, bang for the buck would be appreciated - heck - used would be great as well - I'm just going to beat the hell out of it at work anyway....

TIA - Adam
Hi Adam,
My first recommendation.
The KangeTech 40 watt KBox mod. No fanciness on this one, just 2 rows of tiny lights on the trigger side showing how much battery power remains and watt setting. Watt settings are 5-13-20-25-30-35-40 , controlled with the tiny button at the bottom. Small- Feels hand fitted- Nice looking------
-----COST $24.21 at Fast Tech , SKU # 2153700
My second recommendation. The VAMO V10 Variable Wattage / Voltage VW VV APV Mod. It has appearance of the mods ( Completely Average shows above ) Many fancies,
  • Quickly press the power button 5 times to turn ON/OFF
  • Variable wattage - can be adjustable from 3W to 50W (in 0.5W increments)
  • Built-in ohm meter
  • Puff counter
  • Bottom vent hole
  • 510/eGo threading connector (spring-loaded brass center pin)
  • Removable beauty ring
  • Compatible with 510 and eGo threaded atomizers at 0.3-2ohm resistance
  • Low resistance warning (lower than 1.2ohm)
  • Time limit protection
  • Low voltage warning if the battery needs to charge (lower than 3.2V)
  • Maximum current: 5A
  • Battery monitoring shuts the unit off once battery is fully charged
  • Over current protection
  • Thermal monitoring shuts the device off if over heat
  • Can be powered by 1*18650 battery (battery sold separately)
  • It can work as a power bank after a 510 to USB adapter is introduced
COST $38.78 at Fast Tech , SKU # 2282303
Both of these units work with 18650 battery. NOTE: SPECIAL BATTERIES USED FOR LOW OHM VAPPING TO PREVENT TROUBLES
Hope this helps you out Adam.
VapeOn

Reactions: Bigolac

Bigolac

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2015
How many amp Continuous, are your FLASHLIGHT batteries rated for?????????????

You want regulated or mechanical?
You going to vape at subohm or higher?

Not sure what the lights are rated for, but I have a 4sevens malestrom and some surefire cheapies.... I bought the batteries cheap in a trade from another flashlight weirdo like me....

I would prefer a regulated unit to avoid complications (very new to the concept).

Not sure if I would subohm or not, but I guess if it were an option, I'd go for it. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker if it couldn't. Again - I don't have enough experience to know if I want to try subohm coils or not.

- Adam

sketch804

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Eh bad idea IMO. Those batteries are no where near the rated constant amperage you will need to vape. I tried, dangerous, and worked horrible compared to a good battery like samsung, Sony, or panasonic to name a few. There are some great 18650 mods out there but none for those batteries I hate to say it. You can find some good ones for cheap, and a mod also. I have a sigelei and like it a lot, good quality, takes a beating and still works great.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Not sure what the lights are rated for, but I have a 4sevens malestrom and some surefire cheapies.... I bought the batteries cheap in a trade from another flashlight weirdo like me....

I would prefer a regulated unit to avoid complications (very new to the concept).

Not sure if I would subohm or not, but I guess if it were an option, I'd go for it. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker if it couldn't. Again - I don't have enough experience to know if I want to try subohm coils or not.

- Adam

What are the amp ratings of the batteries?

Even the weakest ecigs are going to draw more than 2A. A VERY weak subohm tank will draw more than 6A. Most regulated mods require at LEAST a 10A battery, and any mod designed for subohm vaping will require at LEAST a 20A battery.

Using a battery that is below the required amperage is dangerous. It could cause the battery to violently vent and possibly explode the mod if the mod can't vent the fumes fast enough.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Based on my experience with pretty much all regulated tube mods out there and since sub ohm is not a priority for you I would get a provari. It is hands down the toughest tube mod out there (exceeds military standards)with top notch customer service and great with your choice of tanks. I went through triple what my p3 cost me in cheaper mods.

Mine has survived a 3 story fall, being run over by a forklift, many hard falls onto concrete and has just a few scratches to show for it. Hasn't failed yet and if it ever does I know I can get it repaired. All the other mods suggested here are good mods and work well but when they fail you are stuck buying a new one.

Reactions: Baditude

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Based on my experience with pretty much all regulated tube mods out there and since sub ohm is not a priority for you I would get a provari. It is hands down the toughest tube mod out there (exceeds military standards)with top notch customer service and great with your choice of tanks. I went through triple what my p3 cost me in cheaper mods.

Mine has survived a 3 story fall, being run over by a forklift, many hard falls onto concrete and has just a few scratches to show for it. Hasn't failed yet and if it ever does I know I can get it repaired. All the other mods suggested here are good mods and work well but when they fail you are stuck buying a new one.
Ran over by a forklift???? SOLD!!

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Ran over by a forklift???? SOLD!!
Yea I had it on a table in the shop where I work while I was welding so I didn't risk an errant 440 shock to it from the tig welder if I hit the welding table while moving around. Rookie lift driver bumped the table coming into the shop to drop a crate and didn't stop to pick up what fell off. He backed up over several tools and my p3. I heared the crunching and looked up to see my p3 shoot out from under the tire and slam through the wall a few feet away. I picked it up figuring it was toast but all that broke was the glass of my kayfun. $900 worth of high end fabricating tools trashed but my p3 survived.

Oh I did have to tap the top cap straight.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I won't agrue battery importance..............but come on guys, some of the regulated mods couldn't handle 5a and many use 3a or less capable switches.

It is really going to depend on choice and need.
A eVic will run in 18350 mode keeping a protank happy and never get a 6a battery warm.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Kahina

Verified Member
May 16, 2015
Land of many beaches.
I won't agrue battery importance..............but come on guys, some of the regulated mods couldn't handle 5a and many use 3a or less capable switches.

I'm sitting here looking at the battery that came with my Hexbright. The light does 500 lumen. The battery is rated 4.8A protected, and that's when new.

I wouldn't put that in anything other than the torches it was intended for.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY

I've got a dozen or so 18650 Samsung/Sony cells that I rotate for flashlights at work. I'm looking for a single cell mod that is cylindrical and would be portable/durable for the job. Any suggestions? I would probably pair this with an Aspire Nautilus or maybe a Kayfun v4.

TIA - Adam

Bang for the buck is gonna go to the Kbox. 17 bucks!!! I bought afew for give aways but tested one. Its one of my most used mods. A little querky sometimes but so simple easy to deal with on the fly. Wrapped in camo duct tape its not much to look at but I could throw it against a wall and vape off it. And for 17 bucks I don't worry about it much.

Heat Invader is a tough mod. Works fantastic and about indestructible.

Toughness is something your gonna have to figger out for your self. I take care of my stuff so I don't worry to much. I work on the loading dock of a busy factory and carry a phone with a large glass screen thats 600 bucks to replace. I guess prolly I can be trusted with a 100 dollar mod.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I'm sitting here looking at the battery that came with my Hexbright. The light does 500 lumen. The battery is rated 4.8A protected, and that's when new.

I wouldn't put that in anything other than the torches it was intended for.

If you keep the build BELOW 4 amps and the batteries OUT of a regulated mod. You should be OK. If used in a regulated mod all safety mechanisms will be nulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread