Smoktech Vmax Owners - tips, tricks and quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
As this is my 1st vv mod I'm not exactly sure if this is 'normal' so I'd appreciate some input.

Currently I'm using a 2.5ohm Smoktech DC. If the battery reading on the vmax shows say, 6.9v, when I depress the fire button you can see the battery voltage drop...and drop....sometimes it dips below the 6.0 and activates the 'Lo' cutoff from time to time. Generally I recharge the batteries when I see this happening. Is this battery voltage drop of approx. 1.0v considered normal? I'm curious as to whether other vv devices display this characteristic.

Could it even be my batteries perhaps? Again, mine are the cheaper non-AW non-branded IMR 18350's. Any insights, particularly from the more experienced vv'rs among us would be appreciated.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
As this is my 1st vv mod I'm not exactly sure if this is 'normal' so I'd appreciate some input.

Currently I'm using a 2.5ohm Smoktech DC. If the battery reading on the vmax shows say, 6.9v, when I depress the fire button you can see the battery voltage drop...and drop....sometimes it dips below the 6.0 and activates the 'Lo' cutoff from time to time. Generally I recharge the batteries when I see this happening. Is this battery voltage drop of approx. 1.0v considered normal? I'm curious as to whether other vv devices display this characteristic.

Could it even be my batteries perhaps? Again, mine are the cheaper non-AW non-branded IMR 18350's. Any insights, particularly from the more experienced vv'rs among us would be appreciated.

Mine drops no more than 0.2-0.3 and stays there,or your batts are weak,or your atty is on its way.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
does anybody use or intend to use the Vmax for dripping? if so, what atty resistance do you all recommend?

I just tried a 1.8 bridgless atty on 3.2V shown and flavor/vapor was humonguous..but a few drops only lasted a couple draws,so 2.4-3.0 as per VV rules :)

Otherwise,I dont give much life to this atty...burnt it will be

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
Those figures were from ultrafire XSL 18350 protected batts;fresh AW IMR drop 0.1V holding the button 10 seconds

Note to self: Never buy cheap batteries again. At least I hope that accounts for the significant difference. 0.1 vs 0.8 is massive.

These were the only batteries this particular vendor had available when I bought the unit. I'll be looking for decent AW replacements then chucking these ones I think. Not sure how comfortable I feel with them now.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
I have a gripes about those AW IMRs;

They are unprotected.

Not talking about potentially blowing up,but in a pure mechanical APV,it seem you can easily underdischarge them and basically ruin them.

Protected is also against underdischarge and overcharge,and at the price those 18650 sells,I am bummed.

On the other end,excellent batts to use on electronic APVs which wont let the batts go under 6.4 (for stacked)

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.

Fuzzi, .... that's probably happening due to your batteries not being able to handle the amount of amperage the VMAX is asking for as it's running a DC. I'm using AW IMR 18350 "ONLY" (VICTORY) and both of my VMAX's initiate the Lo display at 6.3V, and no matter what carto I'm using it never drops below .5V even when the batteries are getting kinda low.AW IMR's have a much higher "constant sustained amperage output" which is what this device ABSOLUTELY NEEDS, people putting all these other type of batteries that have low constant amperage output (cheap IMR's and ICR's) are risking burning up the switch in a big way, guys it's just not worth risking killing this device to save some bucks on batteries as I'm sure you all agree. You, victory, and anyone else not using the best batteries you can buy need to get some AW's, "here's your sign"...www.supertmanufacturing.com.....best prices and service and CHEAP shipping that's super fast too !!! Ok, as I've tried A LOT of different batteries with both of these units here's kind of a short summary of batteries that WILL NOT FIT THE VMAX :

Trustfire 1200 maH button top (I wouldn't put trustfire batts in my flashlights)
Ultrafire XSL (yellow) (they seem to work in some but not all VMAX's so I listed it )
Some red off brands are too big in diameter (watch out for those their everywhere)
Pretty much ALL ICR type protected batteries (Victory) lol (thats why they recommend IMR high drain batts, their smaller)
This is my opinion as stated before, if your using a LR atty or carto on this device (single coil) your kinda defeating the purpose of buying and having a V V device, do yourself a favor and your VMAX and put a 3 ohm atty or carto on it (single coil) or a DC with coils above 3 ohms and see just how much better it performs in all aspects,not to mention taking all the risk out of damaging it. LR attys/cartos were merely designed to ""simulate"" a 5 volt vaping experience before Variable Voltage was around and all their was , was 3.7v devices. Food for thought. Tell a friend.

So far thats all I got for non-fitters. On a side note just so everyone is crystal clear and knows this "IMR BATTERIES ARE THE SAFEST BATTERIES MONEY CAN BUY, not to mention the best power source for your nice expensive new mod. " YOUR DEVICE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE BATTERIES INSIDE IT !!!!! I really hope this helps atleast 1 person out there,if anyone has further questions about anything and you would rather not post it here please feel free to PM me and I would be glad to lend a helping hand, take care everyone. .............................J

Last edited:

VictoryNotVengence

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
USA
I'm using 900 mah 3.7 ICR 18350's in my vmax. I've been using the same set of batteries for 2 days without a recharge. My dual 18650 vv box mod didn't last this long with 1600 mah batts. Will this thing ever die? I wish I hadn't bought 3 sets of batts for it.

Yup it was 2 days, at the end of my day yesterday they died. 2 days of vapin off those tiny batteries is pretty damn good.

Last edited:

wultan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
Singapore
Alright.. I dropped my V-max. Twice!
Once from my bedside table @ around 3'. Landed on the battery cap so all is good. Everything working fine.

Just 30 mins ago, i dropped it on my table as in, it was standing on its battery cap, i pushed it a little, and it toppled over. On its switch!

Now, I have a "touch button" Vmax. No more "click-y" button. All i need to vape now is to gently push on the button and it fires. Checked with supplier and it is still covered under warranty. BUT, i bought it from Malaysia and its too much of a hassle to send it over and wait, etc etc especially since this is my only PV right now other that my SDKs.

Gonna use it as it is for now. Behold... the silent Vmax. "Stealth" vaping on steroids!

fuzzione

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2012
GTA Ontario
Alright.. I dropped my V-max. Twice!
Once from my bedside table @ around 3'. Landed on the battery cap so all is good. Everything working fine.

Just 30 mins ago, i dropped it on my table as in, it was standing on its battery cap, i pushed it a little, and it toppled over. On its switch!

Now, I have a "touch button" Vmax. No more "click-y" button. All i need to vape now is to gently push on the button and it fires. Checked with supplier and it is still covered under warranty. BUT, i bought it from Malaysia and its too much of a hassle to send it over and wait, etc etc especially since this is my only PV right now other that my SDKs.

Gonna use it as it is for now. Behold... the silent Vmax. "Stealth" vaping on steroids!

Well that sucks. Hard to believe a little table top tip would represent the primary offending blow. Possible that the initial 3' drop caused the real harm and the button was just waiting to die after that. In any event thanks for taking one for the team in your quest to discover that new touch-sensitive option :)

wultan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
Singapore
It's actually not much of a hassle to me. I always make it a habit to disconnect my cartos from the PV every time I need to put it in my bag, a habit I picked up when I was exclusively using the SDKs which are damn sensitive to leaks.

I will be getting it changed the next time I meet my supplier to get the SS Lambo. At US$70 for a full kit including 2 18650s, charger and atomizers, it's looks too good to pass over.

Somehow, as much as I will always want the Pro, I seem to be always drawn back to the "cheap knockoffs" which seems to satisfy my vaping needs as much as when I was on a Pro for 3 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread