So I went to 3 doctors...annnnnd I think vg hates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blujess

Mar 7, 2014
United States
Doc #1 Emergency room doc. Went there because for days I felt like I couldn't breathe. It was horrible and terrifying and I felt my lungs were heavy and I couldn't fill them. So scary. It kept getting worse.

Blood pressure, heart rate, everything normal (perfect actually), oxygen levels 100%, lungs sounded great according to doc. Had chest x-ray. Also perfect. Had several blood tests. No thyroid issue, no anemia, none of the main vitamin issues they tested for, no blood clotting factors, nothing.

Sent me home, told me it must be anxiety.

Doc #2 follow up with regular doctor for the ER visit. Blood pressure, heart rate, everything still perfect.
Did an EKG. Nothing wrong there. Sent me home with a rescue inhaler "just in case" and told me to follow up with an allergist for a lung function test but told me so far she suspects it's just anxiety or symptoms of quitting tobacco. The inhaler was basically to cover her ... and also because she said if it is just anxiety, an inhaler won't hurt me either way (might make me breathe better due to placebo alone). I don't think it did but I still have it just in case.

Doc #3 The allergist. I go in and do the lung function test. 3 times. Results are that of a non smoker or even a "never smoker" she tells me. She said my lung capacity is perfect. Never better. She tells me it must be either anxiety or symptoms of quitting tobacco which she says she sees a lot and is common.

So at that point I have no answers and I'm still unable to breathe well. It's horrible.

I start thinking it must be PG since that is the most common allergy/issue. I started at 70/30 pg/vg with no issue then went to 50/50 and the breathing stuff started shortly after that, so what in my stupid head made me think it was PG idk because lowering the PG is when this started but okay, I must have assumed it took place over time as allergies tend to do. So I thought I'd try 100% vg.
Bad idea (for me at least)
After 3 days of that I felt wayyyyyyy worse. WAY WORSE. I even woke up with a heavy chest like someone sitting on it. Interestingly, though, it TOOK the 3 days to make me feel worse. You'd think it would be instant. Well, it took 2 weeks of the 50/50 to get real bad, so 3 days maybe makes sense. Any way...

I finally switched back to my original 70/30 pg/vg.

It's been 2 days and I feel better. Not 100% better, but at least 50-60% better.
I have read, though, here actually, that feeling 100% better after switching can take up to 2 weeks for some, specifically I've read peoples accounts here of the same vg sensitivity and the heavy chest/slight shortness of breath feeling taking 2 weeks to fully subside after going back to high PG so I'm hoping that's true and my feeling better means it's working. Funny enough I've also read that people who are sensitive to VG can often tolerate it at levels of 30% or less so they can still do 70/30 which is what I did and am doing now so that's comforting. I've read a lot of "I can do 70/30 fine but more vg than that and I get heavy chested" here so hmm maybe that's a general magic ratio for the vg sensitive.

Cause docs found nothing wrong! (which is good)

Also, all the juice I've used is high quality diacetyl free in glass bottles, etc etc so I was using good stuff. Yes, rotating flavors after a week of mango wondering if mango was the culprit and that didn't help so I really do think it was the VG but it obv hasn't been long enough to tell for SURE. And I used a couple different vendors too.

All I know is for the past 7 years I've "dabbled" in vaping until this time it became my full time cig replacement, I've bought a disposable here and there, bought a pen a few times and used it now and then to cut down on cigs....I've vaped off and on a little bit for years and always with high PG and never with an issue until I vaped full time and went to higher VG. So logic says, that's probably it.

For the record, I DO have anxiety and panic attacks but I don't think that was the cause. I DO admit it was likely a factor, perhaps even a large one, but certainly not all of it (because it DID improve with anxiety meds, but only minimally).

In any case....omg will I miss the taste and smoothness of VG juice though. Like, wow. I loved it. I wish it agreed with me. I seriously loved it. :/ It was so tasty and magical I didn't even miss throat hit. In fact now I'm mad I have throat hit lol. I want some, but not as much as this pg gives at my usual 3-6 mg.

Well, that's my story! I am hoping within a week or two to breathe 100% better again but I'll take this large improvement for now.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I have to vape 85% PG or I can't breathe at all. When I once tried 67P/33V, I got awakened with an asthma attack so bad, I almost couldn't breathe in from my rescue inhaler. The next day, I went back to 80% PG, and it took about a week for my breathing to come back to something like normal. But I found I still had a lot of mucus in my throat, around my vocal cords, so I tried 85% PG -- perfect.

Andria

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Same here, if i vape 100% VG for a week or so I get the heavy chest feeling. It gets to be very hard to breathe, so much so I couldn't sleep at night. Went back to 70pg/30vg, and after about a week and a half I was back to normal. I can do 50/50 no problem, but I don't like to push it much higher than that on the VG.

blujess

Mar 7, 2014
United States
Same here, if i vape 100% VG for a week or so I get the heavy chest feeling. It gets to be very hard to breathe, so much so I couldn't sleep at night. Went back to 70pg/30vg, and after about a week and a half I was back to normal. I can do 50/50 no problem, but I don't like to push it much higher than that on the VG.
Yeah I am REALLY hoping a week or week and a half is all it takes....if not less! I'm anxious so I am getting all fidgety wanting 100% results NOW lol but knowing it can take time is helpful :) thanks!

blujess

Mar 7, 2014
United States
I have to vape 85% PG or I can't breathe at all. When I once tried 67P/33V, I got awakened with an asthma attack so bad, I almost couldn't breathe in from my rescue inhaler. The next day, I went back to 80% PG, and it took about a week for my breathing to come back to something like normal. But I found I still had a lot of mucus in my throat, around my vocal cords, so I tried 85% PG -- perfect.

Andria
Luckily, if going back to 70/30 doesn't quite cut it for me in a week or two, there are those options. I am having to to change vendors since I don't love the original stuff I started on and the vendors I loved the taste and smoothness and price of are all vg. Gah. But even at 70/30 my throat hurts a bit. That was part of why I wanted to do 50/50 to begin with. Boo :/ I suppose I'll get used to it. If I recall, it did hurt my throat for a few days then that subsided so perhaps it'll be temporary again. I know EC Blend does 80/20 and 100 pg but omg 100 sounds harsh lol. So if 70/30 isn't perfect I can try 80/20. Might I ask where YOU get 85?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
too much vg is known to cause heavy lung feeling, and I can testify to that.
During my first 3 months vaping one of the things I tried was just vaping vg straight; used it in a v-nano - that a cigalike sized tank holding maybe half millilitre; couldn't keep that up for very long; maybe just a few days; the heavy chest feeling can feel downright scary.

I imagine it might be something like condensation causing buildup of liquid in the lungs or maybe a layer of stuff ending up un the walls/surfaces of the lungs like what people report about a layer of stuff on the inside of their car windows/glass from vaping in a closed vehicle.

It does bother me though when it seems doctors can't seem to account for it.

blujess

Mar 7, 2014
United States
too much vg is known to cause heavy lung feeling, and I can testify to that.
During my first 3 months vaping one of the things I tried was just vaping vg straight; used it in a v-nano - that a cigalike sized tank holding maybe half millilitre; couldn't keep that up for very long; maybe just a few days; the heavy chest feeling can feel downright scary.

I imagine it might be something like condensation causing buildup of liquid in the lungs or maybe a layer of stuff ending up un the walls/surfaces of the lungs like what people report about a layer of stuff on the inside of their car windows/glass from vaping in a closed vehicle.

It does bother me though when it seems doctors can't seem to account for it.

That's just the thing, I went to 3 doctors lol. I told all of them about my vaping. All of them thought nothing of it, just thought it was great I quit analogs, which is awesome news I guess since docs not seeming concerned with it means there must be less hysteria about it in some places now and docs are starting to possibly support it (I know my old doc did, he actually TOLD me to switch to ecigs when nothing else worked) BUT the other side of that is that doctors aren't considering it the way *I* had to, to fix the problem. Every coin has two sides :/ Hoping more doctors are getting more educated soon. Oh, but at least the allergist said she thought ecigs were great as long as they kept people off analogs. That's progress.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Luckily, if going back to 70/30 doesn't quite cut it for me in a week or two, there are those options. I am having to to change vendors since I don't love the original stuff I started on and the vendors I loved the taste and smoothness and price of are all vg. Gah. But even at 70/30 my throat hurts a bit. That was part of why I wanted to do 50/50 to begin with. Boo :/ I suppose I'll get used to it. If I recall, it did hurt my throat for a few days then that subsided so perhaps it'll be temporary again. I know EC Blend does 80/20 and 100 pg but omg 100 sounds harsh lol. So if 70/30 isn't perfect I can try 80/20. Might I ask where YOU get 85?

I make my own -- had to start because of needing such high PG, and since I have to add WTA anyway (and more sweetener to suit my own tastebuds)... about a year ago I figured I might as well make my own. I was using 10% WTA then, and that stuff is very costly, so it was a help for the budget; now that my WTA level is down to 1.4%, the juice is less than .10 per ml to make. :D

But I think MyFreedomSmokes uses 85% PG for their "default" (non-VG-blend) -- that was what I started out with, their Virginia Tobacco flavor, but once I had to start adding WTA (which is 100% VG), I had to get creative. Plus, that Virginia was the only flavor of MFS' that I liked -- didn't like any of their sweet flavors I tried.

Andria

Reactions: Katmar

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
That's just the thing, I went to 3 doctors lol. I told all of them about my vaping. All of them thought nothing of it, just thought it was great I quit analogs, which is awesome news I guess since docs not seeming concerned with it means there must be less hysteria about it in some places now and docs are starting to possibly support it (I know my old doc did, he actually TOLD me to switch to ecigs when nothing else worked) BUT the other side of that is that doctors aren't considering it the way *I* had to, to fix the problem. Every coin has two sides :/ Hoping more doctors are getting more educated soon. Oh, but at least the allergist said she thought ecigs were great as long as they kept people off analogs. That's progress.

I think out of those 3 doctors, if they understood that you were vaping glycerine, and the stuff going into your lungs was much like a fog, at least one of them would have a clue what causes the heavy lungs feeling.

blujess

Mar 7, 2014
United States
I think out of those 3 doctors, if they understood that you were vaping glycerine, and the stuff going into your lungs was much like a fog, at least one of them would have a clue what causes the heavy lungs feeling.

True. Just curious though, isn't PG also like a fog? Like, that whole "omg you're vaping fog machine fluid" thing. I like how, btw, someone here at some point referenced how Madonna seems to be fine after all those years around fog machines, lol. But any way, I think everyone who isn't into vaping assumes it's all PG. Mostly due to the whole "omg you're vaping anti freeze" fiasco that still is happening because people are ridiculous. I remember "back in the day", circa 2007-2008 ish, that every company was using pg or peg and I'd never even heard of VG til recently when I became a "dedicated" vaper, so I think most docs just remember them "coming out" in the US and assume it's all PG. I remember mine saying something like "propelyne glycol is probably way better than smoke and tar" so yeah, I think they mostly assume it's all or mostly PG.
PS, I literally checked the PDF "menus" for all the local vape shops and NONE of them carry anything over 50% PG that they advertise at least. Boo :/ Online ordering for me! I'll miss the vape shop tho :/

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
True. Just curious though, isn't PG also like a fog? Like, that whole "omg you're vaping fog machine fluid" thing. I like how, btw, someone here at some point referenced how Madonna seems to be fine after all those years around fog machines, lol. But any way, I think everyone who isn't into vaping assumes it's all PG. Mostly due to the whole "omg you're vaping anti freeze" fiasco that still is happening because people are ridiculous. I remember "back in the day", circa 2007-2008 ish, that every company was using pg or peg and I'd never even heard of VG til recently when I became a "dedicated" vaper, so I think most docs just remember them "coming out" in the US and assume it's all PG. I remember mine saying something like "propelyne glycol is probably way better than smoke and tar" so yeah, I think they mostly assume it's all or mostly PG.
PS, I literally checked the PDF "menus" for all the local vape shops and NONE of them carry anything over 50% PG that they advertise at least. Boo :/ Online ordering for me! I'll miss the vape shop tho :/

PG is very thin, not much thicker than water, and when PG vapor condenses, it's still thin. VG is like glue, thick and sticky, and when it condenses, it's still thick and sticky.

Some people can handle it, just as some folks can handle vaping at .2 ohms on a 200 watt mod; others are tootle puffers because they have to be, and some of us vape high PG because we have to, our lungs don't like inhaling glue, because it glues our airways shut. I feel fortunate that I can handle 85% PG, because I like throat hit, and I can't handle anymore VG than that. Others vape 20% PG and feel like their throats are on fire. Vaping is NOT and never will be "one size fits all."

If you can't handle as much PG as would be required to have a lower VG ratio, you could try thinning the VG with distilled water; it will make the atty spit and pop, but if you can't handle PG, you may have to accept the spitting and popping to keep from suffocating yourself with gluey VG.

Andria

gwapes6

Account closed on request
Aug 12, 2015
Doc #1 Emergency room doc. Went there because for days I felt like I couldn't breathe. It was horrible and terrifying and I felt my lungs were heavy and I couldn't fill them. So scary. It kept getting worse.

Blood pressure, heart rate, everything normal (perfect actually), oxygen levels 100%, lungs sounded great according to doc. Had chest x-ray. Also perfect. Had several blood tests. No thyroid issue, no anemia, none of the main vitamin issues they tested for, no blood clotting factors, nothing.

Sent me home, told me it must be anxiety.

Doc #2 follow up with regular doctor for the ER visit. Blood pressure, heart rate, everything still perfect.
Did an EKG. Nothing wrong there. Sent me home with a rescue inhaler "just in case" and told me to follow up with an allergist for a lung function test but told me so far she suspects it's just anxiety or symptoms of quitting tobacco. The inhaler was basically to cover her ... and also because she said if it is just anxiety, an inhaler won't hurt me either way (might make me breathe better due to placebo alone). I don't think it did but I still have it just in case.

Doc #3 The allergist. I go in and do the lung function test. 3 times. Results are that of a non smoker or even a "never smoker" she tells me. She said my lung capacity is perfect. Never better. She tells me it must be either anxiety or symptoms of quitting tobacco which she says she sees a lot and is common.

So at that point I have no answers and I'm still unable to breathe well. It's horrible.

I start thinking it must be PG since that is the most common allergy/issue. I started at 70/30 pg/vg with no issue then went to 50/50 and the breathing stuff started shortly after that, so what in my stupid head made me think it was PG idk because lowering the PG is when this started but okay, I must have assumed it took place over time as allergies tend to do. So I thought I'd try 100% vg.
Bad idea (for me at least)
After 3 days of that I felt wayyyyyyy worse. WAY WORSE. I even woke up with a heavy chest like someone sitting on it. Interestingly, though, it TOOK the 3 days to make me feel worse. You'd think it would be instant. Well, it took 2 weeks of the 50/50 to get real bad, so 3 days maybe makes sense. Any way...

I finally switched back to my original 70/30 pg/vg.

It's been 2 days and I feel better. Not 100% better, but at least 50-60% better.
I have read, though, here actually, that feeling 100% better after switching can take up to 2 weeks for some, specifically I've read peoples accounts here of the same vg sensitivity and the heavy chest/slight shortness of breath feeling taking 2 weeks to fully subside after going back to high PG so I'm hoping that's true and my feeling better means it's working. Funny enough I've also read that people who are sensitive to VG can often tolerate it at levels of 30% or less so they can still do 70/30 which is what I did and am doing now so that's comforting. I've read a lot of "I can do 70/30 fine but more vg than that and I get heavy chested" here so hmm maybe that's a general magic ratio for the vg sensitive.

Cause docs found nothing wrong! (which is good)

Also, all the juice I've used is high quality diacetyl free in glass bottles, etc etc so I was using good stuff. Yes, rotating flavors after a week of mango wondering if mango was the culprit and that didn't help so I really do think it was the VG but it obv hasn't been long enough to tell for SURE. And I used a couple different vendors too.

All I know is for the past 7 years I've "dabbled" in vaping until this time it became my full time cig replacement, I've bought a disposable here and there, bought a pen a few times and used it now and then to cut down on cigs....I've vaped off and on a little bit for years and always with high PG and never with an issue until I vaped full time and went to higher VG. So logic says, that's probably it.

For the record, I DO have anxiety and panic attacks but I don't think that was the cause. I DO admit it was likely a factor, perhaps even a large one, but certainly not all of it (because it DID improve with anxiety meds, but only minimally).

In any case....omg will I miss the taste and smoothness of VG juice though. Like, wow. I loved it. I wish it agreed with me. I seriously loved it. :/ It was so tasty and magical I didn't even miss throat hit. In fact now I'm mad I have throat hit lol. I want some, but not as much as this pg gives at my usual 3-6 mg.

Well, that's my story! I am hoping within a week or two to breathe 100% better again but I'll take this large improvement for now.
Did you ever try stopping inhaling anything other than normal air into your lungs? Is the nic addiction worth all this trouble to you? I can't even...

Reactions: supertrunker

blujess

Mar 7, 2014
United States
Did you ever try stopping inhaling anything other than normal air into your lungs? Is the nic addiction worth all this trouble to you? I can't even...

Unnecessary. Be polite, please. You could ask the very same question without such...judgment. And, I'm sure you can even. It's just basic math ;)
Two things: One, all 3 docs assured me it wasn't vaping (even though it seems to have been) and two, if my addiction was that simple I'd have quit cigs cold turkey. Most of us probably would have. But I didn't post this for your criticism of my nicotine addiction, I posted it to give insight to others possibly dealing with similar issues and also just to share my story since that's what people do here. And, the worst I'd felt through this entire experience was nothing compared to how bad I felt on cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread