Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi Rhia!

Regarding liquids, I would strongly suggest you get small -5 ml - sample bottles to sort things out. And get one each in 100% PG and 100% VG. The only way to rule out a problem, should you encounter one, will then be to eliminate the PG or VG by switching liquids.

Me? Allergies and mild asthma. I found out within the first four days of vaping that I had allergy issues with propylene glycol. My allergic symptoms included intense itching on my hands & forearms, nausea and difficulty breathing. My allergist confirmed this as symptoms of a PG allergic reaction. But I did buy both 100% PG and VG liquids in my first e-cig order. After I got over the scare of what happened, I switched from PG to VG and never had another problem.

For some of us, unfortunately, there is some trial and error we have to go through. But to me it was worth it. I feel much better, and haven't used my albuterol inhaler once since I quit smoking and switched to vaping.

And do remember you have options. If you find yourself feeling something you don't like: STOP! put the PV down and see what happens. You can stop for 20 minutes, stop for 2 days like I did, switch from PG to VG or vice versa and try again...

Best wishes with your e-cig trial. I hope you do not have any allergy or sensitivity problems. But if you can sort it out it will be so much worth it to your health - and your wallet!

VapRVixN

Feb 7, 2012
USA
Thank you all again for the advice so far. I have been looking at the links of recommended sellers that was given earlier in the post and I've nearly decided on what I'm going to get. However just have a few questions...

I've decided to go for VG based as I've done some further searching on PG and think it might not be best for me because I have sensitive skin, I also suffer from eczema and I've read that PG can possibly dry the skin out so just to be on the safe side I'm going to try VG eliquid. However I cannot find a mini starter kit to just try it out that is VG based, the mini starter kits seem to be all PG based. Is there a VG based starter kit that I can try?

If there isn't I've looked at other starter kits and found this one that I'm considering buying here: The Elegance Starter Kit - Cloud 9 Vaping

Now the thing is I will have to buy my own eliquid to go in, and I'm unsure on what strength to go for. I've been smoking for a heck of a long time and I suppose I'm a heavy smoker, especially at times when I'm really stressed out I do tend to smoke ten times more than I normally do. Should I go for the highest strength first? I'm not going to get a flavoured VG eliquid just straight and I think the highest strength on cloud9 website is 3.6%, is that the strength I should try?

Lastly I'm really confused about the look of it, is it fiddly setting it all up?

Thanks again for all the advice I've received so far. Sorry to keep asking questions but I want to make sure that I get the right product. Don't want to just buy what I think I should get and realising I've made a mistake and bought the wrong thing!

Rhia, I'm new here on the board too, hi! I have severe allergies to just about everything, but nuts and shellfish, don't seem to have a problem eating things, just hives, wheezing, nasal issues. I've been asthmatic for a long time and use an inhaler from time to time.

I've been smoking since I was 18 (almost 32 now) and I've always had issues with wheezing if I smoke too much. As a writer I tend to smoke and write at the same time...sometime chain smoking....but average a pack to a pack and a half a day. When I quit for 8 months while I was vaping the first time, using the small Joye 510 battery kit. I was just using regular attys with the drip down carts in them, didn't know anything about dripping at that point, all the wheezing went away. I could be more active before I felt wheezy (I've always had activity and cold air induced asthmatic symptoms.)

The first three days fully on vaping I was dry, kind of coughing, and not the most pleasant of lung butter in the morning. My mouth tasted like an ashtray for three days. Finally, on the fourth day I woke up, no morning cough, I could breathe and smell and taste! The smell of cigarettes bugged the crap out of me too, almost right away.

Batteries started dying, attys died, things vaping just got unpleasant as things needed to be replaced...went back to smoking for a while. It's been several months and I'm ready to stop smoking. So I ordered all my kits and I'm ready to go back to breathing clear.

I've used pure PG, PG/VG blends, and pure VG based e-liquids. The straight PG does tend to burn attys out faster, cause it's thicker. Even a 20/80 PG/VG blend last better than pure VG.

I really don't think this will worsen asthma if you have it, if anything, comparing it to smoking...there is no comparison. Smoking leaves a heavy feeling in your lungs, vaping leaves you fresh as a spring morning. I have found vaping too much with too low of a nic level will leave my throat dry and scratchy for a day.

With my smoking habit, 24 mg of Nic is what I go with. Sometimes 20, sometimes even 18, but never more than 24. If you're a two pack a day smoker, 24-34 mg range might be better. If you want the act of vaping more but don't want as much nic per hit, lessen the dose, but the dose will also be what creates the throat hit. I have my DIY kits coming in with my new order, I'm looking forward to playing with the dosage a little, see what works on what systems.

One thing, having tried the small cigarette shaped PV's, I don't know if I'd order more of them. I was thinking since the Bloog one seemed to get pretty good reviews, I might try it at some point down the road, but for now I wanted a mod that was affordable. My darling man wanted something small but with battery life. I got him the 1100 mah k-go, based on all the reviews I saw, it appeared to be the better choice over the 900 mah e-go. I got him a tank to go with his k-go, a 6ml one, with extra cartos. The way he vapes and smokes, the a fully charged k-go with a full tank should last him a day. He'll take an extra charged battery to work though, just in case.

The little batteries = short battery life. It feels like you are constantly charging those little buggers. That's one of the biggest annoyances with them that I had. Sure it feels like a cigarette but it's about as bothersome as rolling your own with papers.

geekswife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
Bartlesville, OK
I'm another asthmatic who smoked for 16 years! SockMonkey said something that I could totally relate to. Every other time I've tried to quit (or have quit for a period of time), I hack and cough for days. I would normally give up, simply because I felt that smoking helped me breathe. I didn't understand it... and the friends/family [[ie. non-smokers]] that I would try to explain it to, certainly couldn't understand it! I'm actually a little bit relieved to hear that others have had this physical withdrawal symptom! There were times I truly thought it may have been all in my head. :unsure:

I never thought I would be able to just walk away from analogs. It took quite a bit of trial & error to get the mod/nic that worked best for me, but I had a very patient hubby who was willing to find me one. Some had too harsh of a throat hit, others I couldn't feel at all. I'm happy to say that I've been analog free for three full days and I feel just fine now. I'm still using my control inhalant (Asthmanex) twice a day, but I haven't had to use my emergency inhaler (Ventolin) even once in the past 3 days. I normally used it at least once a day. I'm still using Flonase and my allergy med.

I hope you figure out what is causing the allergic reaction and find something that works for you!

Rhia

Feb 5, 2012
United Kingdom
thanks again for sharing all your experiences with ecigs, it's helped me make up my mind what I'm going to get to try. Now before I order all the stuff I need I just want to make sure I get everything I need to get me started.

Anyway, the ecig starter kit I've finally decided on is this one here: 510 Tank Starter Kit

And the ejuice I'm getting is this one, between 22-28mg of nicotine VG based: Un-Flavoured E-Liquid - Items - FreedomVape (UK)

I was also thinking maybe I would need this as well but not sure: 5ml Filling/Mixing Syringe and Blunt Needle

Now, the question is have I got everything I need to get me started or is there something else that I need. The ejuice that I've linked up, that can be used straight in the cartridges without mixing anything in with it, is that right? You've all been a tremendous help to me so if I've left anything out that I need could you please let me know with some links as some of the abbreviations people have used on these forums are confusing to me at the moment!!

Thanks again in advance!

DaiAlchemy

Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Inverness, Scotland
Hi,

I've just been reading through your thread and I was wondering how you got on. Looks like it was some time ago.
My wife is asthmatic and quit a couple of months ago. While she was smoking she used an inhaler several times a day
and was very wheezy.
For about the first 3 or 4 days after she quit, her asthma got worse but she stuck with it and now she will often go
all day without needing her inhaler.

If you're still checking in on the forum, let us know how you go on :)

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread