Asthma question

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Here's another question I've been asked that I can't answer. can anyone help advise my friend here?

oppenheimer said:
Iam a new member on this forum and i have contacted to this forum for its necessary for my Issue ,I wish i could find a good answer for my questions on this forum and from you:First: I have had an asthma and hardening and Cataleptic In my Vesicles and trachea of my lungs So I had to stop smoking and take some curements Like the inhaler Ventoline but with no useful i still have stong Cataleptic in my trachea and vesicles and asthma attack also , So please I want to consult you Is it safe for me to smoke electronic cigarette or not,Please tell me honestly?
Last but not least : Do you know some people who had strong asthma from tobaco cig and they turned to electronic cig with safety and with no any troubles?
Thank you
take care

My best answer is, I don;t know anything about asthma but it's gotta be better for you than the smoking you're doing now. But I assume you are under a doctors treatment for the asthma, so it's probably a good idea to ask your doctor. Here's a thread where it's been discussed before. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/4143-effects-ecigs-asthmatics.html

Anyone else have any more specific info?

Last edited:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
This is how I answered that question:

"... if you've stopped smoking and don't crave tobacco I'd say don't use anything, esmoking might not be good for you.

But if it's a choice of smoking or esmoking I'd say esmoking is probably much better.

People with asthma say it improves when they stop smoking and use ecigs. So give it a go if you would otherwise smoke."

I also added the link Leaford has posted.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
people with COPD typically are treated with nebulyzers and such which create a very similar vapor(excluding the nicotine and adding RX meds) so if anything, the moisture may help open your pathways a little.

On the same hand, Nicotine has a contra-indication for high blood pressure and heart rates which could result in a more serious attack if you have one. It all depends on YOUR risk management plan.

My opinion is that e-smoking is definitely better than cigarettes but not smoking anything is the best way.

CollapsiblePony

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2008
Southern California, USA
I got the ecig specifically because of my asthma. My asthma wasn't terrible, but it had gotten worse after 10 years of smoking. I was probably using my inhaler twice a week or so especially if I was stressed and smoking a lot. After smoking a regular cigarette my chest would get heavy, and sometimes tighten up all together, at which point I would reach for my inhaler, wait for a few hours, and light up again. Stupid.

I've only been vaping for a week but I can say I have not generally had this chest tightening problem so far. My chest feels infinately better than it did when I was smoking. I CAN say though, that I still get that tight feeling in my chest if I spend too long vaping at a stretch. It's also irritating to my chest if I get a hit of burning plastic/fibers at which point I spit all the smoke out and put it down for a few hours.... that's been the biggest drawback for me so far. Besides that, all the "clean" hits have not caused me any problems, in fact, I feel terrific and haven't used my inhaler for a week! So much better than regular smoking. Of course, as an asthmatic, anything is better than smoking.

just my .02 cents worth.

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com
He asked me to, here was my reply

I cannot speak acurately for your particular situation, so, take with that in mind. I have been on albuterol, and advair, for years. My parents were smokers, dad had copd, he just passed a few months ago. I started to esmoke while dad was still alive, he live on O2 for years, and always complained, even just smelling it on me. He did not get affected when I e.smoked with him in room. Did not seem to bother him, WOW. After Dad died 9/07/08, I really decided to cut down, after being on my 5th pack for the day. I immediately cut to 1-1.5 and some days 10. It has been 6weeks since totally quiting. I used to use my inhaler 6-10 times day, I know use it 2 times, maybe. I have quit 100% steroid, adviar. I feel so much better ut is silly. I am sure I would be better NOT smoking these ecigs, but feel alot more alive now, then before.

I hope the best for you. If you can fully quit, do it. If you cannot, these are a miracle.

Please let me know

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
My asthma went away when I started smoking in my early teens. Joked about it all my life, secretely thought it was really the lifestyle change that did it, but then... wow... nicotine *may* help curing asthma. It is called "smokers paradox". So e-cig can be very helpful to those with the condition. I have not soffered it for decades, though, so it is just a very old personal experience.

oppenheimer

Dec 14, 2008
I got the ecig specifically because of my asthma. My asthma wasn't terrible, but it had gotten worse after 10 years of smoking. I was probably using my inhaler twice a week or so especially if I was stressed and smoking a lot. After smoking a regular cigarette my chest would get heavy, and sometimes tighten up all together, at which point I would reach for my inhaler, wait for a few hours, and light up again. Stupid.

I've only been vaping for a week but I can say I have not generally had this chest tightening problem so far. My chest feels infinately better than it did when I was smoking. I CAN say though, that I still get that tight feeling in my chest if I spend too long vaping at a stretch. It's also irritating to my chest if I get a hit of burning plastic/fibers at which point I spit all the smoke out and put it down for a few hours.... that's been the biggest drawback for me so far. Besides that, all the "clean" hits have not caused me any problems, in fact, I feel terrific and haven't used my inhaler for a week! So much better than regular smoking. Of course, as an asthmatic, anything is better than smoking.

just my .02 cents worth.

Ok Did people who feel their asthma to be better with ecig use Propylene glycole or VG in E-liquid? I mean did you feel your lungs and asthma disease to be better with E-liquid with propylyn G or VG?

CollapsiblePony

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2008
Southern California, USA
I have the JC sampler in VG with 0 nic as well as a variety of other PG juices in low nic because I wanted to see if one was better than the other for me. So far, I haven't noticed as much of a difference between them. I do seem to do slightly better with the PG, but that could be because I go a little overboard vaping the JC sampler since it's 0 nic...... I'm pretty sure at this point that heavy vaping sessions are a no-no for me, regardless of PG/VG. Not sure how helpful that is.

Of course, like I said, I've only been at this for a week...

oppenheimer

Dec 14, 2008
I have the JC sampler in VG with 0 nic as well as a variety of other PG juices in low nic because I wanted to see if one was better than the other for me. So far, I haven't noticed as much of a difference between them. I do seem to do slightly better with the PG, but that could be because I go a little overboard vaping the JC sampler since it's 0 nic...... I'm pretty sure at this point that heavy vaping sessions are a no-no for me, regardless of PG/VG. Not sure how helpful that is.

Of course, like I said, I've only been at this for a week...
ok but please tell me honestly did you go to a chest`s doctor and he told you that Ecig is good for you asthma?

last but not least so you felt also very better with PG right?

babylonx

Feb 1, 2012
Greece
I am 25 and I have light asthma since 17. It is very light so I do not regularly use an inhaler.

I was a very light smoker, practically a non smoke since I did 2-3 cigarettes a week. Sometimes I could smoke 10 cigarettes in rare cases (social smoking, going out with other smokers) and some other periods I would not smoke at all for weeks. Defenitelly not a nicotine addict.

When I discovered vaping I really liked it but I think it made my asthma a little worse. Vaping may not even be the cause as it may be just an asthma exacerbation that all asthmatics have from time to time but it definitely does not help with it.

I still haven't found out what the cause is but I noticed it getting worse when using ready pg/vg made e-liquids with nicotine. I used vg only base liquids without nicotine that I did myself before and they didn't irritate me at all. Now I think it has to do with throat hit. If I use bigger atomizers with lower resistance that produce warm vapor and give better TH I can feel my chest and my breathing getting heavy and my airways getting tighter. The next day I may also have some cough. If I turn back to simple 510 atomizers I think the puffs are not irritating anymore. The problem is that I like warm vapor and TH and these atomizers does not even perform the tastes very well!

So for me I think it is the nicotine that creates the problem but I am still doing trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread