Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Over the 5 years no doubt your costs have come down and are a lot cheaper but I am just a month or so away from being a year for the two of us and we have spent a fortune.
I think its easier for those in their 20s-30s that are part of the vaping scene for they all hang out together, chat about the latest gear, methods, deals, best places to get good deals from and so on.
I and the hubby didn't know anyone that Vaped. I suspect there are many others in the same boat as we but when we started to Vape, I went to a store and we bought a starter kit but then we were steered incorrectly, I feel towards many products that were not at all right for us OR if something caught my eye, rather than suggest it wasn’t right, they just said sure and sold it.
I was also told to change coils once a month or so. After a while I kept finding that my gear was all clogged up, wasn’t satisfactory and in hindsight i don’t know why I never thought of the coils but I didnt and i just became increasingly frustrated and would buy anew tank instead.
Never once did they think to ask me why I might be buying so many, which I understand is not their place to do but since they knew me, knew i was new, I would have liked to have though tthye might have steered me correctly but they didn’t.

Who knew there were Vape groups online? Why would i? I never had Smoking Cigarette groups, or drinking alcohol groups so it never occurred to me to do a search on Vape groups.
Suffice to say, around September I was fed up of the money were were spending. We have spent, in my opinion, far more than we should have had to.
It was only when I fell into a Vape group, purely by accident, that i had a place to ask questions, did i begin to understand why I was feeling unsatisfied. I began to smoke i was so frustrated with them.
While this was happening, Long story short, I also purchased from this store, a store with a good name, a fake Nautilus Mini Tank. They refused to take it back although the owner clearly told me on the phone he got a bad batch, which I now understand as that he likely got a batch of fakes but he said hed look at it. They did, changed the coil, it worked, until I got home and didn’t work again. Changed it again, gave up and gave me a small Nautilus hollowed out cover for the glass on the tanks.
At the same time, I discovered that the coils i had bought from them, I believed to be fakes as well. I don’t believe any of it was done intentionally. I believe someone started to Vape, was a newbie himself and decided to open a Vape store and made plenty of mmistakes with other peoples money, mine included.
I than started to buy from fasttech and never had one problem. Everything I ordered was legitimate and I started to enjoy it again and quit cigarettes after having relapse d for about 2 months.
Anyhow, I don’t have any guilt for i have spent my money and more........but shortly after all of this, and not too long ago, I discovered various FB groups on Facebook that you had to join.
I remember how nice I thought everyone was, until i realized that anytime I asked about something I had 20 different people jumping on me trying to sell me their gear.
Dare I mentioned something such as, I need a new mod and I was swamped.
Dare I mention that i wanted to buy a mod at Fasttech and people had the audacity to give me the speech that i should be ashamed of myself for buying from China nad not supporting my local Brick and Mortar Vape shop. Followed by all sorts of scare tactics, suggesting that anything you bought there might blow uup in your face and so on...LOL

So, cant say my experience with the social end of vaping, as well as the stores i dealt with has been the best. I cant believe how many people out there quit smoking, open Vape stores and seem to feel we all owe it to them to keep their store open.
No, thats not how sales work. Its up to the store to attract customers due to their great sales help, good pricing great products etc but in my city of Toronto, its not like that at all. These people honestly get angry with people that buy from FT or any website outside of North America.
None of them pay my rent, and I dont personally feel its up to me to pay theirs.
Yet somehow they actually expect me to pay double what i do to b uy from them although I have no loyalty to them, or they to I and get angry when i don’t.

LOL
So I do have to say I have come outside of my city to approach a forum such as this one, so far, which has not shown me any of the negativity I have seen online from a lot of the hard core 20/30 year old Vapers in my city!

The point after i typed that all? I completely understand the need to be "cheap" and i happily am so myself. In my case because we are both Vapers, I don’t have to deal with a wife that doesn’t and might not like money spent in that direction.
So for myself, I just happen to sometimes spend a bit more to buy something that will last me many years but as stated, I am not using this only to steep juice but for many household items. I am also 55. I doubtfully have 30 years ahead of me so I prefer to buy something that might last 20 years or even, possibly, outlive me.

If I were 20, 30, etc, I would not be as concerned about it lasting a long time but i just come from a generation that never purchased goods that broke 2 years later, for if it did, you had shops to go to that would fix it for you.

But I am a firm believer that it costs you more money in the long run to buy cheaply thani t does to buy quality first time out.

Hope that explains it a bit better for i am in no way suggesting what I am doing is right for you, or anyone else. Its just whats right for me. Thats all :)

In Any Event, we are going off topic so best to stick to STEEPING questions :)

Last edited:

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Very suprised to hear that tap water is ok but thats fine with me if it is. That said, I wonder if it makes a difference on the goods used? The one I now have is all stainless steel yet the $45 version was plastic so perhaps that makes a difference??!!

I developed bouts of Vertigo. It was being caused by sleeping on my side so I started sleeping on my back only and with that came Sleep Apnea LOL
Having one of those machines, you have to put water in each night and they INSIST it must be distilled water otherwise the container thay say will be ruined.
So suprised but also understand you have been at this long enough and if it were going to cause a probem, you would have known about it by now.

So tap water it is ;( Thanks!

Toastyroadie

Mar 18, 2015
CO, USA
Very suprised to hear that tap water is ok but thats fine with me if it is. That said, I wonder if it makes a difference on the goods used? The one I now have is all stainless steel yet the $45 version was plastic so perhaps that makes a difference??!!

I developed bouts of Vertigo. It was being caused by sleeping on my side so I started sleeping on my back only and with that came Sleep Apnea LOL
Having one of those machines, you have to put water in each night and they INSIST it must be distilled water otherwise the container thay say will be ruined.
So suprised but also understand you have been at this long enough and if it were going to cause a probem, you would have known about it by now.

I only use distilled water. :)

I also had bouts of vertigo, scary stuff when you don't know what it is. Anyway, after much researching on the net, I discovered it was vertigo so I looked for natural cures as a friend had it and she went to the doc for 3 mo's with no resolution. After discovering it was likely a magnesium deficiency, I bought some magnesium lotion and started taking the other cofactors to magnesium which include vitamin d3, vitamin k2, zinc, calcium and boron. I haven't had any more issues, also told my friend and she found immediate relief with the application of topical magnesium.

Good luck on your vaping journey, I'm looking forward to making my own juice, I currently use old kanger T3 clearomizers and ego-t upgrade batteries with no problems at all.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Very understandable. My tap water has very heavy lime and calcium and will coat the stanless steel tank if not cleaned well.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi All,

My liter of 100mg nic is just about gone. It's about time. I bought it on May 8th ... 2012. Time to head back across the border and pick up another liter or two in case there really is a FDA fueled Zombie Vaping Apocalypse. In other news ... Just finished my latest e-cig video:

It's quite a nice combo. The Odin tank really punches out the flavor.

Bob

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Great video man!!! Highly entertaining. Has anyone ever told you that you sort of sound like Donald Sutherland???

Not once. But ... a couple of years ago the family was at Disneyland and a guy walked up to me and asked for my autograph. He thought I was The Amazing Randi.

Who was I to burst his bubble? Of course I signed "The Amazing Randi."

Toastyroadie

Mar 18, 2015
CO, USA
Hi ShelaghDB,

That's it. It's called "bioavailability." A couple of ounces a day keeps colds/flu away. You can get everything you need, Non-GMO Lecithin and Vitamin C powder here: Vitamins and Supplements, Natural Health Products, Organic Foods - Swanson Health Products And shipping to Canada is very reasonable (no matter how much you order ... $10).

I've also been making the liposomal vitamin C in a UC, love it, unfortunately the big one I bought didn't even last a year. I used aluminum foil to test it after my lipo C was coming out sour.

Thanks. I will have time today to check it out.
Fortunately I never get ill or have colds.

My husband that had bronchial problems as a child, colds ever year, pneumonia once didn't have one cold this year, although everyone was sick and attributes that to having quit smoking.

I will have some time laster do do so, thank you.

From what I understand, smoking does deplete vitamin C as well as vitamin E levels. Smoking and vitamin depletion.

After going back and forth and buying one suggested here and then cancelling it, I finally decided to go with a more expensive one, slightly more proffesional but I have more to do with it than just juice, I have juice in 250ml bottles and the smaller ones meant i had to run out and buy some small bottles and transfer them BUT most importantly for me, I wanted one I knew would most likely last me 10+ years and not burn out in 2-3 if that.

So I did spend a bit more, after shipping, taxes and so on for $215 in all but as stated I am pretty sure it will last me as long as i need it to do.

Now its arrived, I am pretty impressed with it. Its made exceptionally well and anything I have read about it suggests that everyone loves it. I looked for a similar one by Kendall on amazon.ca a few days ago and c out not find one.
Today I see one for the same price by Kendall on amazon.ca as well but this one offers me a great warranty so I am not worried about it at all. (listed below)
I purchased a 4L model in May of last year because I wanted to make a gallon of lipo C at a time. It worked great for the first 9 months but now not so great, the performance declined and my lip C was coming out sour. Unfortunately the manufacturers warranty is only 90 days so it looks like I'm out $300.00 :(

Hope you all have better luck than I did with your UC's. :)

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I have a question about UC, I have a small one that has started blowing it's 1amp fuse. It does run when bypassing the fuse (hard wire the fuse connectors)
Obviously I know this is not safe, but what could be the problem?

I'd google the make and model number followed by blows fuses and you just might stumble on others talking about it and if your real lucky also find how they fixed it. If that doesn't help I'd take the UC with the original fuse to a good electronic shop and see if that have a slow blow fuse the same rating or one rated slightly higher. I WOULD NOT run it unattended!

Does it sound any different then it did when new? Is there a cooling fan in the case and is it working?

Don't know what else to suggest, good luck with it.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey GUCE-ers,

I made a video for the complete noobs re: vaping. Actually for pre-noobs. I wanted to answer most of the basic questions I had when I started 5 years ago. This video's for all the folks that I've recently helped start vaping with their questions. Y'know how you start someone off with vaping and you become their tech-support for the next year(or two)? Like that. Anyway ... here it is:

Next video will be all about my experiences with DIY jooce and speed steeping with the UC.

Bob

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Hey GUCE-ers,

I made a video for the complete noobs re: vaping. Actually for pre-noobs. I wanted to answer most of the basic questions I had when I started 5 years ago. This video's for all the folks that I've recently helped start vaping with their questions. Y'know how you start someone off with vaping and you become their tech-support for the next year(or two)? Like that. Anyway ... here it is:

Next video will be all about my experiences with DIY jooce and speed steeping with the UC.

Bob

That video is freaking awesome.
I'm certain that it will help lots of new vapers.
Congrats on a job superbly done.
Do you work in video production?

Last edited:
Reactions: SlickWilly

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Do you work in video production?

Nope. But I've got a great (cheap) video editing program. PowerDirector 11 (They're up to 13 now). If I was rich (or insane) I'd spend $1,000 on Premiere. But you can get PowerDirector for $120. I edit the sound in Adobe Audition and record the narration with the Zoom H2 Handy Recorder. I shoot the video with a Canon HF M500. Everything else is found footage I dug up from The Internet. Vaping has morphed from the way to quit smoking into a very strange hobby.

Reactions: SlickWilly

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Nope. But I've got a great (cheap) video editing program. PowerDirector 11 (They're up to 13 now). If I was rich (or insane) I'd spend $1,000 on Premiere. But you can get PowerDirector for $120. I edit the sound in Adobe Audition and record the narration with the Zoom H2 Handy Recorder. I shoot the video with a Canon HF M500. Everything else is found footage I dug up from The Internet. Vaping has morphed from the way to quit smoking into a very strange hobby.

Well you do an incredible job sir, you have a real talent and a great voice for it. I love your videos!
eclipsee_gold_cup.gif
I love how you use vintage clips and I find myself trying to place where I had seen them so many years ago.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
... I find myself trying to place where I had seen them so many years ago.

I have an uncontrollable fixation on (what my kids call) Old Movies. How can they be old if I remember seeing them? Thanks to The Internet all those snippets from the planet Weird are "out there" if you have the will (and time) to go looking for them. If you can remember a goofy moment from a movie ... chances are someone has put it up on YouTube.

Odd discovery: Back in the 40's the reason to quit smoking was to get away from The Dangers of Nicotine. At least now we know the danger is in the smoke.

MotorN

May 23, 2014
Canada
Very understandable. My tap water has very heavy lime and calcium and will coat the stanless steel tank if not cleaned well.

Have you tried steeping recipe flavor concentrates alone in your UC similiar to the "kicker" concept?

I may revert back to the Crockpot steeping method but elect to go with a digital cooktop, does a standard compared to an induction model produce different results?

As far as Seed steeping goes does the VG/PG ratio and NIC/NICless level effect the results?

TIA

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Mixed 120ml of Wizard Labs 20.5mg 80/20 unflavored and vaped it - it's weird but very good!
I read through this thread a couple of times and it makes sense.
Drove down to HF and got a 3 minute cycle $30 UC
It hums and heats and I have to keep turning it back on.
I used a chunk of dog food under a rubber band to keep it on for a an hour.
I figure it's a POC so it'll burn out that way so now it's 3 minutes at a time.
I'll see how the juice turns out after a few hours.
I'm using all glass and it's as full as possible so I'm not expecting to get too relaxed tonight.
I'll hit it every 6 minutes or so following someone's suggestion here to use/rest/use...
The bigger HF unit looked a little more serious but this should be good until it burns out.

Keep calm and GUCE on :)

TBT - over 2 years and that POC $30 UC still cranks 30-45 minute cycles using a piece of dog food kibble to keep the on button depressed. Works great. I'll say I got my money's worth.

That was 24mg & 18mg jiggling in this pic from June 2013. 4mg now.

It's on it's 2nd rubber band and only the 4th or 5th chunk of kibble lol.

9096720687_32a8724c26_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread