Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I've been vaping for 2-1/2 years. I've vaped in fancy restaurants, bars (some fancy some, uh, not so fancy), hotel lobbies, concert hall lobbies, private offices (ask first), other people's homes (ask first), and doctors' offices. Innumerable times. No one has every said "no," I have observed no disapproving glances, and only ONCE was there any objection: an officious 20-something working at an Italian bistro who professed to be a "manager" informed me that it was forbidden at their bar. Fine. I'll never darken their door again. Not one single other person has so much as said "boo" to me about it. Maybe I appear more intimidating that I realized! ;)

Greg__B

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ottawa, ON Canada
I tend to carry a couple eGos with me if I'm out and about and tend to just vape outside out of respect. At home or at work it's my MVP2 with a big protank 2 on top. Not really good for walking around with as I'm not a big fan of having to answer random peoples questions. I must admit that even after more than 2 years of vaping I still feel a bit odd in public sometimes. It helps that here in ottawa there's now at least a dozen B&Ms so it's starting to become more of an open community to it.

Sent from Mars using my Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator.

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
I don't mind vaping in public. There was one occasion when I was vaping in the street with a Semovar in 18650 mode (a quite long device) and a passer-by muttered "Freak..." - I immediately replied "Ignorant!!!" but wasted no more breath on him. Apart from that one incident no one seems to care. I draw the line however at vaping in cafes and restaurants. I just don't feel the need to do it. Some eliquids give off pungent aromas, like the Green Peach Tea I'm on now. If I were eating and some dude was giving off similar vape odours I'd be thinking, come on man, you've had all day to vape, do you really need to do it in here?

I had a hilarious reaction from a couple of smokers in the street once. One of them, she could not take her eyes off my mod. It was like she was hypnotised. She'd obviously no idea what it was. She never broke off her intent mod-locked gaze to make eye contact with me, or maybe I would have explained what my mod was. Too funny.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
I've taken hold of my fears and decided to vape oustide or in the car like it has always been like that. I put my PV in my pocket before entering stores, but I do take a vape just before getting to the door like I did with analogs (with the added benefit I don't have to stop to put it out.)

I haven't felt right to vape inside bars, restaurants or cafes yet as I am probably just too shy to ask for the moment. I also believe we are at a critical stage and need to avoid useless confrontations that could happen with those who have eaten the ANTZ media fodder. I do go out and vape like it's a normal cigarette, but I don't feel the restriction to stay within a smoking area when I do so. I would also consider what my vape smells like if I was to vape inside a restaurant. Even a strawberry cheesecake juice could be considered offensive as it could overtake the smell of a 50$ steak or be considered an indirect form of publicity for the desserts menu :lol:

I vaped shamelessly outside of the airport, a short distance from the smoking area, while waiting for the shuttle and there were 2 women with a baby nearby (if it had been children I would have gone a little further). I just stepped back a bit. I'm sure they noticed me at some point and never said a word. However, when 2 guys started smoking no more than 10 feet from them, one of them made sure to point out how rude and disrespectful that was.

I also vaped in an outdoor area of another airport where smokers go hide, yet there is no sign allowing smoking. I figured if a security agent passed by and said something, I'd first explain and just stop if he insisted. One gentleman came by to smoke a small cigar and asked if it did help quit. I gave him the short version on how fast I quit and told him about the actual scientific studies that prove there is no reason for concern about health issues.

While at the hotel bar, I did go outside to vape. At one point a nice young lady asked to borrow my lighter (shame on me for quitting 2 habits at once) and I just showed her my PV saying "Sorry, I quit". She seemed to understand right away what was going on, yet I didn't see a single other person vape in that city.

I also vape like I belong on restaurant or bar patios where it is permitted to smoke. I'll answer any questions anyone asks me.

I chain vape while driving, traffic or not. I did put the PV down when I stopped next to a police car, not by fear of being questioned endlessly, but mostly to avoid the possible trouble of having to pull over in traffic. Next time I'll just keep on vaping and wave at them since I am not doing anything illegal and I bet they know about it by now.

I know some people might look at me sometimes, I just don't look around to see if it's the case and ignore them if I do spot them staring.

OH... and I do vape proudly out of my Provari with a silver Aspire 510 tank. Why not just embrace it? Looking like we're ashamed of it is also making us look like we're doing something illegal and we're not.

Last edited:
Buses, university class rooms, police stations, court houses, cars, bars, concert halls, most places I go I vape. When I first switched over to MODs I got a little sketched out but that was because it was a beast of a thing, so I got something a little smaller, still 18650 mind you, and stopped paying attention to other people. Every now and again I "have to" (read get to) educate someone on the joys of vaping and have actually gotten a lot of people to at least give them a try and for me, that actually makes vaping in public an encourage-able activity! So go forth and VAPE!

donuts

Verified Member
Jun 21, 2014
United States
Buses, university class rooms, police stations, court houses, cars, bars, concert halls, most places I go I vape. When I first switched over to MODs I got a little sketched out but that was because it was a beast of a thing, so I got something a little smaller, still 18650 mind you, and stopped paying attention to other people. Every now and again I "have to" (read get to) educate someone on the joys of vaping and have actually gotten a lot of people to at least give them a try and for me, that actually makes vaping in public an encourage-able activity! So go forth and VAPE!
vaping in university class rooms sounds like much for me, but to each his own.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If we all vaped most places (this includes non-smoking areas), but respectfully and with common sense, my strong guess (and personal experience) is that there would rarely be an issue.

If we self regulate ourselves and ACT like vaping is the same as smoking, then that is the perception we are presenting to the uninformed. Perception becomes reality which is not good for the vaping community.

Last edited:

donuts

Verified Member
Jun 21, 2014
United States
How So?

_____
all of the try hards would make smear campaigns about it to make them banned for no reason. I only vape outside if I am on campus. not even in the stairs cause of all the cameras lol. but I don't think my nic fix in class is worth possibly getting thrown out of the school as a whole. I value my education, it costs a fortune!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
all of the try hards would make smear campaigns about it to make them banned for no reason. I only vape outside if I am on campus. not even in the stairs cause of all the cameras lol. but I don't think my nic fix in class is worth possibly getting thrown out of the school as a whole. I value my education, it costs a fortune!

Things would have been a Lot Better if Everyone had done what you do. Unfortunately, there were Many Incident involving some Vape-Everywhere Students.

And it took a Lot of Effort just to get Vaping Allowed in Parking Lots once the Ban Policy considerations were Started.

The Vape-Everywhere attitude does Educate People. And I'm sure there where a Few Students who saw that Vaping is a Viable Alternative to Smoking.

But it also Forced the Hand of the Chancellor's Office. And where as before, vaping was allowed in Open Air areas, after people started to want to vape in a Classroom. Or in Buildings such as the Library and the Cafeteria, ALL Vaping was Banned on campus, with the Exception of Parking Lots.

ChurchMouse

Apr 24, 2014
Illinois
I carry (sometimes wear lol) an ego when out and about and unless I forget to take the lanyard off and toss it in my purse, not many even notice. Even if I'm 'wearing' it I rarely get more than a second glance.

I have no problem using it in front of children especially outside (If they're very young and ask I tell them it's 'medicine that helps me not smoke cigarettes' and they usually go "Ohhhh...cool" and wander off). My own kids are old enough to understand and be proud and happy about their mom not stinking anymore, so no issues.

I don't vape in certain places out of what I feel is respectful (around food, in small enclosed spaces, in businesses or other people's homes without permission, etc.) In a bar or similar place I ask permission and usually get it.

Embarrassed? Not at all. Although I do take care to be extra discreet when my kids are with me, there's no need to deliberately expose them to more of the ugliness, lies and ignorance "those" people can dish out than necessary. Thankfully "those" people are relatively few. But if I were ashamed to vape I wouldn't do it.

glycerol

ECF Veteran
Good point - sort of. It makes more sense to be ashamed of a habit that you know may very well kill you.
vaping is not harmless, especially low ohm + lots of vg + certain aromas, let's face it - it's harm reduction, not a magic pill. even exhaled vapour is not exactly mountain air..

69CamaroSS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Upstate, SC, USA
Why be ashamed of doing something less detrimental to your health and that of those around you? As with anything, be respectful of others and don't blow clouds in their direction nor vape in close proximity to people who may be worried (ignorant) about it. Lastly, don't duck and hide as-if you're doing anything wrong so it doesn't appear that you are in fact, using illegal drugs! Respectfully do your thing and don't worry about what the others may think! Vape On! :vapor:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
vaping is not harmless, especially low ohm + lots of vg + certain aromas, let's face it - it's harm reduction, not a magic pill. even exhaled vapour is not exactly mountain air..

Any evidence for your assertions? You can't possibly be saying that vaping is as harmful as smoking tobacco. Can you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread