Public Vaping Nervousness

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
An usher told me I couldn't "smoke an electric cigarette" inside the new event center here in town. In the club section mind you, during the final period of the game. Not a single other employee had said anything for the whole game until she did. First time I've ever been told that, anywhere. I'm actually not sure that this is a company policy either, I think she may just have decided it all on her own, so I sent them a letter and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I just want to know if I am ever going to another game or performance there again. If anyone tells me I can't I definitely want to know why, and lacking an acceptable answer I won't be giving them anymore of my money.

Some people might think this is strange, because I'd never have tried to light a cigarette at the game, and I wouldn't stop going a place just because it was non smoking. I didn't, because smoking was bad for you, and I felt like they were justified to slowly strangle away smokers rights, or at least they made me feel guilty enough about it that I didn't want to argue. vaping isn't dangerous, so I'm not going to feel guilty about, and I'm not going to sit there and let them try to regulate me into some antisocial hole with the smokers.

DummyMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
North Carolina
I envy you people in states that allow indoor vaping. My state, NJ, doesn't. I gotta go out with the smokers! I'd rather not. I always go as far away from the smokers as I can. Of course, if I'm stuck indoors for long periods of time, I do the bathroom stealth move. Sure, it's against the law, but peeking under the bathroom stall is too!

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
Personally, I vape everywhere I am. This includes work, retaurants, bars, etc. One of my "favorite" experiences I had vaping where you would normally not be allowed to smoke was the maternity ward of a hospital! The only response I got that day from non-smoking nurses were asking how well it worked and where they could get one for their family members.

Basically, you are not doing anything wrong, and if you remember that while vaping, the initial "guilt" you feel will dissipate as quickly as your vapor.

Stasis

Mar 28, 2012
Montreal
I envy you people in states that allow indoor vaping. My state, NJ, doesn't. I gotta go out with the smokers! I'd rather not. I always go as far away from the smokers as I can. Of course, if I'm stuck indoors for long periods of time, I do the bathroom stealth move. Sure, it's against the law, but peeking under the bathroom stall is too!

I wasn't aware that states actually had laws about it. In Montreal I don't think it's popular enough for that yet... at least not in the areas I frequent. Good to know though, I'll be in NJ this weekend!

OneDayIllQuit

Mar 23, 2012
Kent UK
In the UK the Smoking Ban legislation, smoking is defined as: -
(a) “smoking” refers to smoking tobacco or anything which contains tobacco, or smoking any other substance, and
(b) Smoking includes being in possession of lit tobacco or of anything lit which contains tobacco, or being in possession of any other lit substance in a form in which it could be smoked

Although 'tobacco' features heavily in this wording, the inclusion of 'any other substance' extends the scope of the ban. The key words therefore are 'smoking' and 'lit'.

The electronic cigarette is not lit and it does not produce any smoke.
It is therefore legal to use an electronic cigarette in a public place
Also, the ecig does not go against the rationale and goal of the ban to protect people from second-hand smoke – as it does not produce any.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
In the UK the Smoking Ban legislation, smoking is defined as: -
(a) “smoking” refers to smoking tobacco or anything which contains tobacco, or smoking any other substance, and
(b) Smoking includes being in possession of lit tobacco or of anything lit which contains tobacco, or being in possession of any other lit substance in a form in which it could be smoked

Although 'tobacco' features heavily in this wording, the inclusion of 'any other substance' extends the scope of the ban. The key words therefore are 'smoking' and 'lit'.

The electronic cigarette is not lit and it does not produce any smoke.
It is therefore legal to use an electronic cigarette in a public place
Also, the ecig does not go against the rationale and goal of the ban to protect people from second-hand smoke – as it does not produce any.

What!!! You Brits must be crazy! Only 2 paragraphs?
Go to the legislation form and take a look at the definition that some U.S. states have for smoking.
Sixteen paragraphs that conflate smoke, combust, vapor, tobacco, material, chemical, nicotine, substance, burn, heat, mist, lit, hold, carry, deliver, possess, implement, tube, machine and device.
If it is any of those objects, that does any of those functions, by means of any of those methods, while you're doing any of those actions, then you're "smoking".

Last edited:

MarkFLL

Feb 11, 2012
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've only been vaping since Feb. 10th on my Kr808's. Only had maybe 3 analogs since. I just got back from a trip to the northeast using the autotrain from Sanford, FL to Lorton VA. Amtrak said that ecigs are banned like analogs. Anyway, I had a roomette and vaped all the way up and all the way back. I tried to use the designated smoking room below the lounge car and was totally smoked out by all the analog smokers. It was like a thick fog. I also stealth vaped while out of my roomette.

In any event, my Kgo and new supplies are suppose to arrive today! Can't wait!

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada
Personally I think it it really helpful to ask first in places where smoking is banned. And I would use the term "nicotine vaporizer" or something (plus an explanation), as opposed to just "vaporizer" because (at least where I live) "vaporizer" has drug connotations, such as vaporizers that are used for (EDITED). Unfortunately you can also end up with people not understanding what it is simply because they have only heard the term "e-cigarette" before, like:
"What is that?"
"A vaporizer."
"Um...what??"
[long explanation follows]
"Oh! You mean an e-cigarette!" lol

However, I still agree that it's best not to call it a "cigarette" of any kind, due to the associations and assumptions made regarding that word.

And I think it's highly important if someone asks you what it is or asks you not to use it to remain polite. For all of our sakes. Even if someone just comes up and says "e-cigarettes are forbidden here", please don't get mad at them. That is not going to help the situation or change anyone's mind and it just gives the vaping community bad publicity. Explain what it does, why a smoking ban should not apply to it, and how it isn't affecting anyone other than you so it really doesn't make sense, but remain super nice and friendly about it and respect their wishes. It's way better to educate them and get them thinking and potentially on your side, than to alienate them with rudeness. Write a cordial letter to the owner of a business explaining how PVs work, rather than storming out in a huff. In the latter case all you'll get is the employee telling a story about how rude some "smoker" was, not an educated or changed mind.

*EDIT: Also, personally I think an even better choice as to liquid flavour used in public is any liquid that gives off as little scent as possible. Not everyone likes cherry ;) and people can use the scent as a reason to forbid it (as ridiculous as that is since perfume/cologne is not banned and it smells way stronger)

Last edited by a moderator:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Since we're creating our own lingo as we go, maybe we should turn the word vape into a noun as well. It's my vape. Like "it's my ride" when you're talking about your car. Anything is better than cigarette. In a lot of places, even if the word vaporizer has a drug connotation, it's still better than cigarette.

I don't ask in most restaurants and almost never ask in bars. If there is someone very close by, I usually don't bother vaping in a restaurant. My "vape" could never be mistaken for a cigarette by anyone close enough to notice the vapor. I take a puff. Put it down right on the table and blow the vapor under my own table or toward my lap. If you ask in a restaurant, chances are very high that they'll say no, especially if you ask a waitress or waiter. They don't know and they'll go into CYA mode. If you just do it, they won't bother you about it. If they ask you to stop, which they never do if you're not blowing your vapor at anyone else, just stop. I've done this a hundred times and no other diner has ever complained. That's why it's important to have something that is clearly and unequivocally not a cigarette and can't be mistaken for one.

As for scents, right. Low scent is best, but whatever you do, not tobacco. Try coffee or pie or something that matches the ambient scents. Breakfast? Vape bacon. Seafood? They have crab juice. LOL!! I mean, your in a restaurant for chrissake. Can you imagine someone complaining because, if they get right on top of you, your vapor smells like coffee?

There you are, in an iHop. Suddenly you hear, "OMG!! What's that smell?? Ewww...Blueberry Waffles!! Waitress!!"

Last edited:

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
Well I used my ego in the stands at a hockey game tonight . Only a couple of puffs at a time and I did hear a person in the background comment but only to his friend to say what I was doing . I felt uneasy the first couple of puffs but after that it was fine . I found it better to lean forward so the vapour didn't go into anyones face . Not that that would have been all that bad I was vaping a nice caramel at the time .

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
One point I need to emphasize is that, if you choose to vape in public, you don't want to look like you're smoking. Use soemthing that is obviously not a cigarette. Be prepared to explain what it is and why it's not harmful. I've never had it happen but, if someone objects, explain what it is. If they still object, don't vape around them. That's plain courtesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread