Public Vaping Nervousness

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanideKitty

Mar 28, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
I'm sure this sounds totally stupid but I get nervous when I vape inside public places. While I'm pretty sure Wisconsin has no laws against indoor public vaping, it still makes me nervous to vape inside a restaurant or bar. There are a couple of bars I feel comfortable doing it at. One I used to go to all the time, the other is the one I go to on those extremely rare occasions when I do go out now. I'm new to vaping, a month and a half, so I'm wondering will the nervousness go away in time, the more I do it, etc?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Hi and Welcome!

It's not at all a stupid question. I wish more newbies would ask. Yes, it should go away, but for some it never does. It helps if you're not vaping something that looks like a cigarette. You have to get over the idea that you're smoking. Some people have a hard time with that and feel like they're doing something wrong and vape in the smoking areas and generally sneak around. That convinces people that vaping is just like smoking, and we vapers don't need that.

Most people will just be curious, especially if they don't think they know what you're doing (again, a non-cig PV helps). Some might ask you, so just take the opportunity to inform them. That's one less person to support a vaping ban in your city or state. Carry some cards, like from CASAA that explains what an e-cig is. Avoid the use of the word cigarette. Call it a vaporizer and explain how you quit smoking with it. The word cigarette has bad connotations for non-smokers and that's who we need on our side. Never slip up and say you're "smoking an e-cigarette". That's the worse thing to say.

At restaurants, do it when there aren't people really close to you. In that case, it's usually best not to ask first. Most restaurants don't really care, unless they get a complaint. So they don't have any policy. It's a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. Bars are easier. I've never had a problem in a bar. Sometimes, I'll ask a bartender, but usually not. Most of them don't like smoking bans anyway. That's a good place to get used to answering questions. Plus, you can have a couple drinks first. :D

If someone gets hostile, or accuses you of smoking, just politely inform them that you're not smoking. Don't just immedately comply with some random stranger who can't tell vapor from smoke. Of course, it's different if they own the place or something. In that case, let them know you weren't smoking but you'll stop anyway. If you vape something that doesn't look like an analog, you can always tell people who are just being buttholes that it's a medical device. That shuts them up quick.

You'll get used to it. It starts in your own mind. You are not the one doing anything wrong. Don't blow your vapor in anyone's face and no one has any legitimate reason to complain. Few people will. Consider it your chance to possibly save someone's life. Don't be a sneak vaper. You're a non-smoker now. Spread the word.

Last edited:

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
Smoking bans hurt the bars and restraints where I live . Some even defied the law to a point so they would actually welcome it but they might be hesitant because of the ignorance that the non-smokers have . Educate them that is the only way to get ahead . I am not the type that wants to attract attention but I have used it in a lunch room at work and have done some educating of the masses . Most are just curious I have not had a confrontation yet . Yes it is a vapourizer that I am carrying .

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
This response needs to be stickied. I couldn't have said it better!
Hi and Welcome!

It's not at all a stupid question. I wish more newbies would ask. Yes, it should go away, but for some it never does. It helps if you're not vaping something that looks like a cigarette. You have to get over the idea that you're smoking. Some people have a hard time with that and feel like they're doing something wrong and vape in the smoking areas and generally sneak around. That convinces people that vaping is just like smoking, and we vapers don't need that.

Most people will just be curious, especially if they don't think they know what you're doing (again, a non-cig PV helps). Some might ask you, so just take the opportunity to inform them. That's one less person to support a vaping ban in your city or state. Carry some cards, like from CASAA that explains what an e-cig is. Avoid the use of the word cigarette. Call it a vaporizer and explain how you quit smoking with it. The word cigarette has bad connotations for non-smokers and that's who we need on our side. Never slip up and say you're "smoking an e-cigarette". That's the worse thing to say.

At restaurants, do it when there aren't people really close to you. In that case, it's usually best not to ask first. Most restaurants don't really care, unless they get a complaint. So they don't have any policy. It's a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. Bars are easier. I've never had a problem in a bar. Sometimes, I'll ask a bartender, but usually not. Most of them don't like smoking bans anyway. That's a good place to get used to answering questions. Plus, you can have a couple drinks first. :D

If someone gets hostile, or accuses you of smoking, just politely inform them that you're not smoking. Don't just immedately comply with some random stranger who can't tell vapor from smoke. Of course, it's different if they own the place or something. In that case, let them know you weren't smoking but you'll stop anyway. If you vape something that doesn't look like an analog, you can always tell people who are just being buttholes that it's a medical device. That shuts them up quick.

You'll get used to it. It starts in your own mind. You are not the one doing anything wrong. Don't blow your vapor in anyone's face and no one has any legitimate reason to complain. Few people will. Consider it your chance to possibly save someone's life. Don't be a sneak vaper. You're a non-smoker now. Spread the word.

I vape everywhere comfortable, and I have only been asked once not to, then I showed them it was an "e-cig" and they did an okie-dokie hand gesture and said have a good day. I then went ahead and continue to vape.

This was an armed security guard at the hospital. The chief of cardiology in the hospital didn't care either, as long as fire alarms didn't go off (they wont from vapor) nor any of the 100+ other hospital staff I spoke/showed to. Little backstory, this hospital is very anti-smoking, not even in the comfort of your car if it's on the property.

Thus being said, the worst thing that could happen is someone tells you to stop, and even then it's almost always an understanding because they thought it was a real analog.

Also, if you're not being a .... by blowing your vapor at people, or at someones table in a restaurant, then no one will care most likely.

Last edited:

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Do what I do...use a PV in public that does not look like a cig. Take it out. Take a puff or two. Wait a few seconds. Let it be obvious to people that it is not a real cigarette. Hold it where people can see it and see there is nothing burning.

If I am in a busy restaurant, I blow my vapor down towards the table so it isn't making a cloud over someone else's table.

Feel the "vibe". If it feels comfortable I vape more freely.

kren

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2012
PA
Stealth vaping rocks. Just hold it in forever and exhale discreetly -- I often just exhale down my shirt :) .... Yes, the psychological trigger of seeing "smoke" is muted, but you get your nic fix. And frankly, being able to vape in these places is more than I've been able to do in years anyway, so it's a bonus, not something being taken away.

CyanideKitty

Mar 28, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Thank you all for your words of encouragement!! I will think of them the next time I'm out to eat or out for a drink. I made sure to get a pv that didn't look like an analog. Partly so people wouldn't mistake it for one and partly because I didn't want to look at it and start wanting an analog. Plus with me being me I like having the option of color coordinating my battery with my outfits. It's silly, I know, lol.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I vape openly everywhere I go. Admittedly, I go fewer places than most people. Today, while grocery shopping at King Soopers, where I've been vaping while shopping for a couple years, the manager chased me down and ask if "that was a pipe". I said no, he ask what it was, I stated it was my Personal Vaporizer. He stated he didn't think that it was allowed to use it in the store. I stated, if he were smarter he'd be selling them rather than trying to ban them. I then left my full cart of groceries, stating that Safeway would probably take my money, and departed the store. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread