Status
Not open for further replies.

iKN0WaGH0ST

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Northern Virginia
I've only been vaping since Feb. 10th on my Kr808's. Only had maybe 3 analogs since. I just got back from a trip to the northeast using the autotrain from Sanford, FL to Lorton VA. Amtrak said that ecigs are banned like analogs. Anyway, I had a roomette and vaped all the way up and all the way back. I tried to use the designated smoking room below the lounge car and was totally smoked out by all the analog smokers. It was like a thick fog. I also stealth vaped while out of my roomette.

In any event, my Kgo and new supplies are suppose to arrive today! Can't wait!

Off topic...I live in lorton and that train station is a mile away from my house, and the railroad is right across the street from me =P

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I've been thinking that it might be useful to give the anti-smokers something they can relate to. Say something like "I can't stand being out there with all the smokers and breathing all that second-hand smoke. Would you?" I bet you'd gain a lot more allies with that. Come to think of it, we should probably be pushing this issue when we fight against the anti-vaping laws. You know, the "right to clean air" and all the rhetoric the anti-smokers have been using for years. We might just be able to win over some legislators with that approach.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
That would make too much sense. The anti-smokers would just tell you that if you don't want to breathe second-hand smoke, quit using nicotine. That's the problem with the antis. Those who are the most threat to vaping are not just anti-smoking, they're anti tobacco/nicotine.

As for fighting for the right to clean air, I'm afraid you'd be met with the same retort. No one is forcing you to hang out with the smokers. Just quit your nicotine use, or go vape over there, away from the smokers, by yourself. Of course, the idea of 0 nic vaping would never occur to them.

If it was as straightforward as a right to clean air, it would be easy. You could file suit against any municipality that forced you to vape with smokers.

That approach might work with normal non-smokers, but those aren't the people we need worry about. Those people are easy to educate. They're the ones that listen. The mere sight of something that looks like smoke coming from your mouth doesn't send them into a rage. Fortunately, they outnumber the ANTZ (anti nicotine and tobacco zealots) by a long shot. That's why it's important to vape in public. The ANTZ have had some success in turning non-smokers into anti-smokers. Once they convince a non-smoker, or ex-smoker, to become as zealous as themselves, there's nothing we can do or say to change their minds. We have to get to them first. We have to immunize them against the ANTZ propaganda. We have to prevent a non-smoker from becoming an anti-smoker and then a ANTZ. To do that, you have to catch them in the first stage, when they will listen to reason and might even have smoking loved ones they'd like to help quit without necessarily demanding they go totally nicotine free.

Last edited:

Mythus2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
San Diego, CA
So I've been vaping for about 3 months now and don't really vape in public too much because I'm used to not smoking in public. For example running into the store...I can not vape for an hour or so, besides I should spent some amount of time during the day without my PV stuck in my face. But I recently went with my family to a local "old town" touristy place and I took my trusty PV...I have an LT so looks nothing like an analog...I was vaping away walking down the sidewalk (respectfully, of course) no one said a word...but my hubby was ready for anything, I was ready to educate :laugh:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
You'll get a friendlier reception and genuine interest, rather than random hostility, if you vape in public something that doesn't look like a cigarette. A rabid ANTZ will zero in on a cigarette look. A LT simply confuses them.

I couldn't agree mone and the two most common questions are:

Do those things work?
When are you going to quit that thing?

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
Had someone at a bar ask me to not smoke once, I told him it's a vaporizer - for my COPD. He looked embarrassed and walked away. Of course he was just a busy body who wanted to act superior so I had no qualms making him feel like an idiot. Had the owner or manager asked me to stop I would have (then finished my drink and left).

Jag :vapor:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I've only been accused of smoking once, by an old lady who could only see my vapor, not my PV. I informed her I wasn't smoking, showed her my Baby bullet and she walked off.

I usually take any opportunity to answer questions, but sometimes I'm not in the mood or the person is obviously hostile and trying to act nonchalant about it. In those cases, the medical excuse works beautifully, every single time. Nobody wants to continue a conversation about your medical condition, not even the most hardcore busybody.

That alone is reason enough to never vape an analog lookalike in public.

Maybe if I ever get a Darwin and I'm approached in a bar, I'll tell them it's a personal breathalyzer. :D

Last edited:

Sheriff420

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
NC
I used mine in Applebees and no one said a thing.
I asked the waitress at a bar and grill another time and after confirmation from the manager I sat there and enjoyed my meal engulfed in a cloud of vapor.

I've educated a few people on e-cigs and pointed them to this forum for more info on different models and juice and stuff.
When people that don't seem interested in learning more about them but ask what it is because they see the "smoke" I just say "(EDITED)" and leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I used mine in Applebees and no one said a thing.
I asked the waitress at a bar and grill another time and after confirmation from the manager I sat there and enjoyed my meal engulfed in a cloud of vapor.

I've educated a few people on e-cigs and pointed them to this forum for more info on different models and juice and stuff.
When people that don't seem interested in learning more about them but ask what it is because they see the "smoke" I just say "(EDITED)" and leave it at that.

(EDITED) would be more my response. Then if they wanted to push it further or go for help I'd explain it. Imagine how relieved they'd be.

My nephew is an Applebees manager and was using a Blu for a while. He'd be on your side.

Last edited by a moderator:

HowlingBadger

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2012
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
I brought my ego out to the pub with me for the first time last night. After the initial period of nervousness (and the first few drinks.. ;) ) I was vaping the same as I would in the comfort of my home. I was surprised by all the positive reactions I got and chuckled to myself when I heard people at the tables around me explaining to their friends what I was doing. Here in BC, Canada at least the general public is pretty informed about pv's and vaping. Glad to say ill be vaping in public a whole lot more often now :)

CyanideKitty

Mar 28, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Last night went well. I openly enjoyed my pv while I was at the laundromat. Had no problems other than some creepy old guy staring at me funny. I chose not to educate him though, didn't want to talk to the creepy guy. Applebee's went fine too. Slow night and the waitress didn't say anything. Last night gave me a little boost of confidence when it comes to public vaping! Can't wait for the next experience!

Pelagic

Mar 23, 2012
Canada
Here in BC, Canada at least the general public is pretty informed about pv's and vaping. Glad to say ill be vaping in public a whole lot more often now :)

What?? Where do you hang out? I live in Vancouver BC and I've never seen another person vaping (here or on Vancouver Island or elsewhere in the Lower Mainland) and people either don't notice it and/or think I'm smoking (even smokers standing 2 feet away from me, or people trying to bum cigarettes). Most people do seem to know what "e-cigarettes" are in conversation, but most of my friends have never tried one or even seen one being used in person before.

Last edited:

HowlingBadger

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2012
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread