Subtank Mini Vs. Nautilus Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
I have yet to find an e-liquid that doesn't generate visible fog. Even 100% PG is still too visible to use without anyone noticing. (It's added to hospital oxygen precisely because it's visible, so leaks can be detected.) Holding it in for as long as possible, and slowly letting it out through the nose helps, but it's still more visible than a cigarette would be if doing the same.

If anyone knows of a e-liquid that's made to not generate any visible aerosol fog, please let us know!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ck-out-juice-specifically-stealth-vaping.html

pslr2301

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2011
Waco, Texas, United States
Most of you have said that you get more flavor out of the Nautilus. I am the opposite. I was disappointed in the flavor I had picked until I pulled out the Atlantis and threw the .5 in the SubTank. Only at that point did I feel as if I were drinking the juice straight out of the bottle. Nautilus gave me so little satisfaction on flavor that I shipped it off to a friend before the first coil even went bad. I assume it is the sub ohm aspect that did it. In that respect, you can't compare the SubTank to the Nautilus unless you are specifically *only* using the plusOhm coil. Otherwise, as someone else pointed out earlier, you are comparing apples to oranges. :) Anything that works to get off the analogs is wonderful imo.

militantomg

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2015
NYC
You get way more flavor from the Subtank, its not even close to the Nautilus, are we serious guys? The aspire coils can't compare with pure organic cotton and kanthal, its not even really subjective.. unless you prefer muted flavor. In which case, maybe you don't like the juice as much as you thought. These tanks are in different classes though, one is a wide airflow, lung inhaling, vapor producing, flavor dropping machine. The other is a more petite, much tighter draw, mouth-to-lung kind of tank.

FCastle

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2014
United States
Nautilus comparison is incorrect anyway - Atlantis is the competing tank of choice.
Nautilus would be compared more so to the Areotanks/Kayfun RTA's in performance.
Nautilus designed to function on Twist style batteries with limited output.
It is kind of an apples to oranges comparison in that they are different types of clearos, but they're still both clearos. Can be helpful for people to decide which suits their needs. Some people, myself included, simply want the best flavor without messing with rebuildables/drippers. If that means sub tanks, so be it. If you can get similar flavor with a non-sub tank, then they can save themselves some money and get/stick with a cheaper mod and tank. Though it does seem like the sub tanks should have better flavor due to the sheer amount of vapor if nothing else.

elenamylove

Sep 16, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm not saying that this is your issue regarding the flavour problems when using the Sub-Tank Mini, but Phil Busardo does identify an issue with the tanks where he describes the vaping flavour as tasting like "monkey azz" :facepalm: Lol. His observation has to do with the tank's insulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Th2lX8tCU

Wasn't he talking about the Subtank Nano and not the Mini? If I recall correctly he said the Nano tasted bad and the Mini was great... But I could be wrong.

So far I love my Subtank Mini, the RTA part works perfectly.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
You get way more flavor from the Subtank, its not even close to the Nautilus, are we serious guys? The aspire coils can't compare with pure organic cotton and kanthal, its not even really subjective.. unless you prefer muted flavor. In which case, maybe you don't like the juice as much as you thought. These tanks are in different classes though, one is a wide airflow, lung inhaling, vapor producing, flavor dropping machine. The other is a more petite, much tighter draw, mouth-to-lung kind of tank.

Well both the Nautilis and non Nautilis coils are now all cotton. I own a few Nautilis minis as well as Kanger Nano, got that to try subohm .5 vaping. I don't lung hit so it seems subohm is just not for me. I prefer flavor and have read some well written articles on airflow etc. that like many others keep saying how there is more flavor subohming, I have never tasted it with the juices I like. Certainly more vapor, hotter, which I did not like, but I taste more flavor with 1.8 ohm coils at less then 15 watts. That's just me perhaps. Upside is far less juice consumption and less clouds for non vapors to notice.

Well both the Nautilis and non Nautilis coils are now all cotton. I own a few Nautilis minis as well as Kanger Nano, got that to try subohm .5 vaping. I don't lung hit so it seems subohm is just not for me. I prefer flavor and have read some well written articles on airflow etc. that like many others keep saying how there is more flavor subohming, I have never tasted it with the juices I like. Certainly more vapor, hotter, which I did not like, but I taste more flavor with 1.8 ohm coils at less then 15 watts. That's just me perhaps. Upside is far less juice consumption and less clouds for non vapors to notice.

That makes two of us ! My sentiments exactly !

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
As usual,ECF answered all my questions. I was considering buying a Kanger Nano just to test the waters of sub-ohming. I use the Mini now and always do a mouth to lung hit. After reading what I have read today (ironic this thread should be posted today) I think I'll buy another mini. I just ordered some new coils from World of Vape and they do list them as the "new cotton wick" coils FYI. Thanks again to ECF

Look into the Eleaf GS Air and the Ego One. They're not as great as the Nauti flavor wise, but you can have a taste of subohming with restricted airflow.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I agree that it all comes down to personal preference. I have used both and I prefer the Nautilus to the Subtank. Although since I have started doing lung hits more and more, I have tried using my Subtank again and now I do like it a lot more than when I first started using it. I still prefer the Nautilus, but at least now I am using the Subtank "right".

This is the most important post in this thread. The thing about these 2 tanks is they cannot be compared becuase they are 2 different types of tanks with 2 different types of coil heads.

The way I see it, to make it simple, there are 3 types of clearomizers...

- Low wattage vaping 11 watts or less (Aspire ETS, Kanger EVOD, Kanger Aerotanks, Any CE4/5 tank, etc)
    - Medium wattage vaping (12-18 watts) (Aspire Nautilus)
    - High wattage vaping (kanger Subtank (the Nano is a clearo whereas the others are considered RTA's) and any other sub-ohm tanks that are designed for 30W+ vaping - Kanger tanks with a 0.8 ohm dual coil head is not really a sub-ohm tank).

The nautilus is designed for mouth hitting (like a cigarettes) and the coil head (even the new ones with the cotton wicks and larger juice intake holes) is not designed for sub-ohm or high wattage vaping.

All the subtanks and their factory coil heads, even the Nano, are designed for lung hitting and sub-ohm vaping. Yes, I know they make 1.2 ohm coils, but the problem is the smallest airflow hole is too large to mouth hit. Even at 1.2 ohm, you still have to set the wattage up to well over 20W to get 5V. With the increased wattage to get the same vapor from the nautilus at 1.8 or 1.6 ohms, the vapor is MUCH hotter on the subtanks. Then, even if you set to say, half of the smallest airflow hole, there is too little air and this increases the vapor's temperature a little more. It simply was not designed for successful medium wattage vaping for the most part.

So they can't really be compared. It's like comparing an apple to an orange.

I love the nautilus but I would love to have more options for tanks like it.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I just found out that Smok made a tank called the Acro that used their own coil and the Nautilus coils. However, after seeing pictures, it was apparent they did a 1:1 clone of the Nautilus and ran into trouble. they no longer make it. I did find it at a US site, but there are certain vendors I won't buy from. Besides, I don't want a 1:1 clone, I'm looking for a totally different tank in the same class.

However, I found that they make another one called the Micro GDC tank as am alternative to the Nautilus (not the mini). SMOK Mrcro GDC
    However, it appears they are only selling these in overseas markets at this time. Bummer. I really want more mid-level/power tank options.

I also found that Anyvape makes a nautilus-type tank called the Peakomizer V2 which uses Nautilus coils, they don't make their own coild for it. Anyvape Peakomizer 2.0 --A Top Filling AirFlow Glassomizer | Shenzhen Anyvape Technology Limited
    I may look for a US vendor for it, but I don't like the look of it and I hear anyvape quality is only so-so at best. But I may bite someday.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Two completely different tanks, you can't even vape them the same, crazy to even post the thread...

If you read my original post, the whole point was to clarify that they are very different. My intention was to put them side by side, so that those deciding on which to get could make an informed decision. The subtext being that imo it's an easy choice to make, in that the Sub Tank can do everything the Nautilus can do, and much more. Yes the Sub Tank can do MTL, you just need to close off the smallest air hole even more. The only thing (again in my opinion) that the Nautilus has over the Sub Tank is a smaller form factor, and of course aesthetics but that's completely subjective.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2015
    Somerset, UK
    If you read my original post, the whole point was to clarify that they are very different. My intention was to put them side by side, so that those deciding on which to get could make an informed decision. The subtext being that imo it's an easy choice to make, in that the Sub Tank can do everything the Nautilus can do, and much more. Yes the Sub Tank can do MTL, you just need to close off the smallest air hole even more. The only thing (again in my opinion) that the Nautilus has over the Sub Tank is a smaller form factor, and of course aesthetics but that's completely subjective.
    Ahh OK, fair enough, point taken :thumb:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread