Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The subtext being that imo it's an easy choice to make, in that the Sub tank can do everything the nautilus can do, and much more. Yes the Sub tank can do MTL, you just need to close off the smallest air hole even more.

Not really. The problem with using the subtank (any of them) with the OCC coils, even the 1.2, is that you have to vape it at a wattage that, for some (like me), is too warm in order to get a decent vapor production. Then the flavor at that warmth is too intense (with my juices anyway). But then, to top it off, when you close the smallest air hole half way to get a MTL hit, this increases the temp of the vapor even more to the point of being hot and really kills my throat. (the same exact thing goes for the Atlantis, but more so since they don't have coils with ohm ratings above 0.5 so the wattage really has to be jacked up).

Nauts and Subs are 2 different animals and the design of the 2 tanks and the design of their coils are intended for 2 different vaping levels - which I define as mid level (Nauts) and Subs (extreme level).

I realize that the folks at Kanger don't realize what they made. They would probably side with folks that Subs are OK for MTL vaping, but these manufacturers don't really understand vaping, that's pretty obvious.

Same goes for comparing the kanger Aerotanks with the Nauts. can't be done. The Kanger dual coil heads are not designed for mid level vaping. The aerotanks themselves are designed for mid-level vaping, but the coils are for light-level clearomizers like EVODS.

Smok seems to understand all this. They came out with a Nautilus knockoff (exactly the same tank with their logo on it) and made their own coil heads for it, but was able to use the original naut coils, too. I think thye may have gotten into legal trouble as it is no longer available.

Then, they came out with the GDC tank to rival the Nauts but unfortunately it does not seem to be available in the USA. Only reviews I can find on YT are from overseas users.

I would love for the Sub nano to be an alternative to Nauts. But as it stands, not for me.

I see all these subohm tanks coming out and all these high powered devices. But the 20 Watt(max) mouth hitters are being neglected because there is more money in the younger crowd, who are mostly the demographic wanting sub-ohm vaping gear.

Unless you are into sub-ohm vaping, equipment innovation and product selection are dead in this industry for the moderate vaper/ex-smokers. Extreme/sport vaping products now dominate the market and will continue to be so in the future as far as I can see it. But until someone "pokes and eye out", so-to speak, nothing will change.

Labubs

Jan 26, 2015
    Northeast PA
    I don't know when it started, but newer Subtank mini's now ship with a MTL airflow option. I noticed it when I ordered a second base hardware, RDA, rubber insulator and 510 pin from Kanger's US parts distribution to pinpoint the cause of jumping ohms on my ST mini (something with the center pin, the new base and old one with new insulator and spring loaded pin installed no longer jump around).

This new base is identical to the old except that instead of 3 holes and a completely closed option there's now just 4 holes, 3 the same as the old and one that's impossible to lung hit through, roughly near one of the middle two airflow options on a Naut mini.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Even with the extra smaller air hole, it would still not make this a good MTL tank for most MTL vapers. You can achieve the same thing on the 3-hole version by closing off the smallest air hole by half or more. As stated earlier, the problem with this tank for MTL use is that even on a 1.2 coil head, you have to vape at 20W+ to achieve a 5V+ vapor but then the vapor is very hot for MTL vapers (maybe not all, but for most). Having a 4th smaller air hole or closing off some of the smallest air hold on a 3-hole version only makes the vapor even hotter and unbearable. If Kanger would make a 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coil head for this device, it"could" rival the Nautilus as both a lung and MTL device. They really should do this. If they do this, I think they will see that they will sell more minis and nanos. The nautilus really needs some competition.

As stated before, though, the vaping market has been taken over by extreme, fad vapers who vape as a sport and to be "cool", not for enjoyment or nicotine delivery (as with analog smoking) and we MTL hitters have been left high and dry. If you want an adjustable airflow tank good for MTL hitting with a coil head with a cotton wick that that can handle 15W or 17W or 5-5.5 volts or so, the nautilus is the only widely avail solution. As a former heavy smoker who is not into cloud chasing or high Wattage vaping, I find this wattage/voltage range to be very satisfying. Kanger aerotank coil heads are not designed for 15W+ vaping. You are lucky you can get them to handle 12W successfully. Kanger aerotanks are nothing more than tanks designed to look like mid-level tanks but really only perform at a low level of vaping since the heads are designed for vaping one achieves with ego batteries with fixed air clearomizer tanks. You may as well use a CE4, CE5 etc etc. At least they have a better vapor at low level vaping since they use a top coil. But who wants a CE4 anyway, except for noobs who don't know any better. But CE4s do produce a better vapor than any botton coil clearo out there, especially on a fix voltage ego batt. Too bad they are not made of glass or I would still use them from time to time when I don't feel like carrying around my mini box mods.

noway

Mar 26, 2015
    Omaha, NE, USA
    But who wants a CE4 anyway, except for noobs who don't know any better. But CE4s do produce a better vapor than any botton coil clearo out there, especially on a fix voltage ego batt. Too bad they are not made of glass or I would still use them from time to time when I don't feel like carrying around my mini box mods.

I like my iclear 16's. I have 3 that I try new flavors in. I mainly vape with Kanger T3'D and have 3 of those also along with a Mini Protank 3 which is nice but small tank makes it a pain.

My 2 Nautilus Mini's are in the box. To me they just produce a bad vapor, more like a mist and I just can't use them. I used them for the first 3 months because I didn't know any better. Picked up a Kanger T3'D to try a new flavor and the Mini's were done after that. $6.50 compared to $25, wish I would have known that from the start.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread