The Echo Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloveHunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
NYC
That said I'm getting a plastic taste from the carto that came with the Echo. Will this unpleasant taste go away with refills?

How much ml did you put on your carto? Just to make sure you were not under-filled.

If you are sure you weren't then, try Echo clearos (It's CE4 like Stardust but for Echo) - or any 808 cartos will do just fine.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
If you look at the bottom left insert in the picture it shows it to be an 808/901 thread.

Errol

I looked at them closely when I first saw them and that one did look like an 808 clearo but I don't really trust web site pics of vaping equipment because some vendors are prone to cutting and pasting just to get the customer to purchase. Just another reason to stick with vendors you know.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Received my new Echo from cropduster901 today. Great service! Shipped an hour after I ordered Wednesday and it's here on Friday.

That said I'm getting a plastic taste from the carto that came with the Echo. Will this unpleasant taste go away with refills?

Are there other carts that I can try?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If it's your first time filling them, they do take patience. Echomizers take about 3.4ml to fill the first time and if you under fill them they don't wick right at first. Fill till you get a drop from the bottom and let it sit for awhile then blow it out and clean up the threads.

They take a day or so to break in. The vapor is harsh at first but not plastic tasting.

See if that works. We can troubleshoot more, if we need to. There's a couple more things that can result in a nasty taste in horizontal coil cartos. When you get it right, you'll be a very happy vaper.

beindeb

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2012
TX
Yep I'm afraid I would too Kren. I would have to destroy them or smoke em!
I will be traveling for the next week or so and don't know how much I'll be online. I just got a call from my sister and my mom has taken a turn for the worse and I'll be heading back to Texas. She is 92 and had a stroke last year but rebounded pretty good. It looks like she might be getting down to the end of the trail. I will sure miss her. She is a very special lady and the best mother a man could possibly ask for!

Have a safe trip tx...prayers for you and your family.

beindeb

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2012
TX
Since I'm loving my Echos so much (have 2-650's and 2-1300's), as well as being on a budget, I'm wondering about doing all I can to prolong battery life. Is it better for them ~ as far as extending their lives as much as possible ~ to drain completely and then charge? Or would it be better to charge before they're dead? I'm unabashedly quite ignorant, as to all things electrical.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Well.....lithium ion technology does not like being drained all the way. There's technology in these that keeps that from happening though. They also don't like being stored long term fully charged. But unless you have several of them like me, I wouldn't worry about it. It's only the ones I don't use very much that I store half charged and charge them up when I plan on using them. I have one battery that only gets used once a week when I'm out so I put it away when I get home and charge it up only when I want to use it.
Lithium ion batteries still only have a shelf life of 2-3 years even if they go unused.

Store them cool and dry and they will last you for a year or so. Clean the threads and charger with isopropyl every couple of days. I use a toothbrush or sometimes a toothpick when I want to give it a good detailing between the threads.

Last edited:

Nwit

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2009
CloveHunter.....I filled with exactly 3ml the first time......I just now re-filled until I got a drip...let it rest for half an hour and fired up....still getting an unexpected off taste...I used a syringe to measure and fill....

Charlz.....I'm not very good at taste descriptions.....LOL.....I do not get the same taste when I use a V4L cool cart...

I love the look and feel of the Echo 1300 .... I hope this works out...

Thanks for the kind replys...

Last edited:

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
keep using the cool carts until you get it figured out. The second thing that can happen with horizontal coil cartos is the coil can be off center. (either through manufacturing or during shipping) Kanger horizontals are notorious for this and is where I learned before getting to the echomizers.

If you look down the center tube with the right light, you can see the coil. Sometimes going at it from underneath with a pin can put the coil back in the center. If you have a manual battery, you can do a pulse burn. If the caro hasn't been filled yet, you can see the glowing wire and see if it's in the center and if any part of the coil looks like it may be sticking out the side. Let go as soon as you see it glow. If it's off to the side, you don't want to keep it on long enough to burn anything.

Other than that, it may not be wicking properly. Take a straw so it's around the center tube and tamp down the filler a little. This is actually the most common cause of a burnt taste at first so try this before anything else.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Of cource, the echomizers come apart very easy. If you tried all this and are ready to give up. You can take it apart and check to make sure the coil is perfectly inside the tube. If it wasn't wicking right, you will see burn holes in the inner filler. I simply reuse it by turning it upside down.

Here's my post on taking the echomizers apart. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ego-type-models/189567-echo-thread-330.html
Post #3292

kren

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2012
PA
Yep I'm afraid I would too Kren. I would have to destroy them or smoke em!
I will be traveling for the next week or so and don't know how much I'll be online. I just got a call from my sister and my mom has taken a turn for the worse and I'll be heading back to Texas. She is 92 and had a stroke last year but rebounded pretty good. It looks like she might be getting down to the end of the trail. I will sure miss her. She is a very special lady and the best mother a man could possibly ask for!

tx, so sorry to hear about your mom. All the best to you as you go through this difficult time.

I was sorting out some standard 808 horizontal coil cartomizer.
The ones I had laying around with no clue what was in them, You know how that goes:laugh:

Then I remembered something, I read in this thread about, removing the filler and using it as an atomizer.

Well I popped the the cap on one and pulled out the filler, Came out easily, Rinsed it out with hot tape water and blew it out.
Then add three drops of some juice that I had that was OK, but not something I would vape every day.
It worked amazingly well.

Wile I am not going to give up my 3.5ml tanks any time soon.
This is something to think about using for the times you want just something different.
But don't want load up a tank, Echomizer or even a standard cartomizer, Or when just trying out new a juice.

Three drops seems to be the limit before you risk leaking. It is kind of surprising how many drags you get before you need to add more. It will be interesting to see how long they will hold up.

Methinks there is a Youtube video in this, for those of us who are visually inclined :)

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
I was sorting out some standard 808 horizontal coil cartomizer.
The ones I had laying around with no clue what was in them, You know how that goes:laugh:

Then I remembered something, I read in this thread about, removing the filler and using it as an atomizer.

Well I popped the the cap on one and pulled out the filler, Came out easily, Rinsed it out with hot tape water and blew it out.
Then add three drops of some juice that I had that was OK, but not something I would vape every day.
It worked amazingly well.

Wile I am not going to give up my 3.5ml tanks any time soon.
This is something to think about using for the times you want just something different.
But don't want load up a tank, Echomizer or even a standard cartomizer, Or when just trying out new a juice.

Three drops seems to be the limit before you risk leaking. It is kind of surprising how many drags you get before you need to add more. It will be interesting to see how long they will hold up.

If you put back in the inner cotton filler, you can get a good vape session out of it. You're so close to popping the base off. It's so much easier than it seems. How did the inner cotton piece look when you took it out. Was it burnt at all?

edit: oops I see your talking about a kr8 carto. Nevermind

Last edited:

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Um....no. not a standard size. I have popped off the shell of an xl, though. I need a stronger grip for a standard carto. Or smaller hands. You're making me think though. The xl was kanger. The standard size was SI. Gonna look around for a kanger and get back to you. I don't think it's worth the trouble though but I'll try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread