The Real Victim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Marx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
attic
I've been here a few months now and I have developed a feeling for what is going on in this community. I have come to realize that there is a victim here and it is the person who is addicted to cigarettes for one reason or other but feels completely trod upon by everybody. They can't smoke at home; they can't smoke at work; they feel wretched smoking on the street―and yet they still NEED to smoke. vaping is a great solution for them (for me). Now what happens: Buy this juice; buy this device; blow smoke; blow smoke in public places; don't do that; get the flavor; cut down on the nic; get more nic.

Cigarettes weren't like this. Sure most people hated you because you smoked but you understood that. Now people hate you if you aren't Mech enough or if you are too VG or 0 nicish or 36 nicish and still the civilians hate you because you seem to be still smoking. It's quite a club. Probably it will all balance out when all of the old vapers die out and the kids lose us in a giant cloud.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
I'm at a loss for words... I have never seen what you are describing.

Sure people may be very enthusiastic when they find gear that best fits them. They sing it's praises, shout from the rooftop, recommending it to anyone who may still be looking for their own happy spot. Same with pg/vg ratios, nic levels, and flavors, but I have not seen anyone looked down on for what they use.

There is playful banter between the Provari, mech, VV/VW and Ego camps but it's just opinions.
Even those who are dual user's have a home in the forums. Not everyone is able to eliminate combustibles from their life. That's why one of the most repeated phrases you will see is "It's not the ones you smoke that count, but the ones you don't".

As quickly as struggling vaper's start receiving responses, I guess I can see where so many people adding their opinion or experience in a matter of minutes or seconds could seem overwhelming, but hate??? not here.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
Playful banter is fine. However, I have see quite a few posts where the poster has had a bad experience with equipment, or an eliquid, or a vendor, and then bashes the heck out of said equipment, eliquid, or vendor, instead of saying "Well, this did not work for me. This is what I found was best for me". It is one thing to recommend something to someone looking for advice. It is a whole other kettle of fish to respond to someone who is posting about the equipment, or eliquid, or vendor, that is helping them quit smoking, or asking for advice about something, and say that what they are posting about is trash, and they will not get the "full vaping experience" unless they have such and such equipment, or eliquid, or use this or that vendor.

We need to remember that we are all here to help and support each other, and that everyone progresses at their own pace. Some of us will be happy using cigalikes for a very long time, and some of us will need the newest and best mods in order to quit or stay quit of analogs. Some of us do not have the budget to spend on "gourmet" eliquids or fancy dancy mods. Some of us do not have the physical dexterity to rebuild anything. We need to remind people, and ourselves, that, wherever they are in their journey to quit and stay off of tobacco, they have a very caring, helpful group who want nothing more than to see them succeed, no matter what equipment or eliquids they choose to use.

jensy

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Fort Nelson, BC, Canada
Wow I don't see this at all. I read where people love what they are using to vape and they are hyped about it but I don't see people hating on others if they are using ego's, VV/VW or the what not. I think when people are reading on the internet because it lacks affect it may come accross that way. As a whole I think ECF has the most friendly helpful group of people you can find.

Megs

Verified Member
Apr 10, 2014
Oswego, NY, USA
This thread actually kind of shocks me. I'm pretty new here - first posted a few days ago but I made my account on April 10 and had lurked a while before that. I have never noticed anything along the lines of what's being described. I've gotten a lot of help from informed folks in just a couple posts, and am getting a better vape through suggestions and how-tos and answers I've found here. It's a little jarring to hear this description of what I have thus far seen as a welcoming - hell, a LOVING community. I've either been missing a lot more of what goes on than I thought or my perception is just not tuned to that kind of thing.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Nope. I don't see it either. Sure there are people around with fixed views and a glint of zealotry in their eyes. The Provarinati seem to have calmed down in recent months, now it's more likely to be Reo or other drippers and mechs that are pushed. But that is just over exuberance, not hate.

The Forum Incompetency Theorem applies.

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I've seen it happen a few times. It seems to be when 2 high D personalities differ in opinion and get their hackles up. But it's usually brief and most times ends amicably. We're not perfect and this ain't Nirvana. What it is, is a cross-section of society from around the world. We're all here with a single purpose, to try to stay tobacco free (and maybe have a little fun while we're at it). So, if you feel a bit put-off by what's going on in one thread, don't condemn the entire forum. Just move on to another thread where you feel more comfortable. Remember why we're here, and don't judge us too harshly. Because when you look closely we all have some warts and maybe a few scars. Hang around it will get better.

Last edited:

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Wow I don't see hate either! What I perceive, people being very helpful and helping other people achieve the very best experience that they can, with what they have. Also if someone is searching other helpful folks steer them in a positive direction as to best suit their desires and need. It wasn't that long ago I was new, lost, and searching. I'm personally very very great full to the people who have helped steer me in a direction where I am much more satisfied with my vaping expirence. For the people who are content with where they are at I see others being happy for them, but for the others who have a desire to move forward to a different experience I see very helpful peoples. Without their help I couldn't do the things I desperately wanted to do such as save money by making my own juice, or reach a new level in satisfaction and flavor by building my own builds. I'm very greatful. I think you could be looking at things wrong. Im sorry but I've never ever seen hate.! If someone is content where they are at that's wonderful! But others who want to achieve a different expirence should not be put down either for trying to learn and grow into what might be a more satisfying expirence for them. I think you might be perceiving things incorectly. I've seen nothing but helpful well meaning people. It almost sounds to me YOU have a hate for people who have mods, do builds, and other things. I've not seen the hate your speaking of any where else but in your words. Forgive me if that sounds harsh but most really go out of their way to be helpful and I'm shocked it would be perceived as hate.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'm fortunate in that I've been able to experience people and cultures not only around the US, but also in many countries around the world.

We all have different life experiences, attitudes, and opinions. Words and phrases that would be completely acceptable in a bar conversation in Brooklyn would get me a ....-whoopin' in Houston. Accidental gestures that mean absolutely nothing to you are an insult on the other side of the globe.

That being said, never take anything on the Internet as personal except the good stuff. As often as we disagree (and sometimes very strongly at that), just because we disagree differently doesn't mean we won't help our fellow vapers.

(And if you think you've seen a fracas, you should check out a few forums that aren't as well moderated as this one)

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Agree with your assessment.

I was watching a video this morning where the presenter suggested Cloud Chasing was an ART FORM and a SPORT.

I had to post my thoughts on that and then turned it off. I almost unsubscribed from his channel. I still might.

Recently I did unsubscribe from another channel because the presenter is always talking about Mech Mods and blowing clouds. Two things I am not interested in at all. What put me over the edge was he has giveaways but to participate you have to have a Facebook account. I don't and don't see a need to support that activity.

YMMV.

Thanks for your post.

Tmg666

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2014
Green bay, Wisconsin
If you say you haven't seen this your not on here enough. Most of the time its playful banter but their are some that go to far with it. I have also seen veteran members and newer members that come into threads looking to argue over almost anything. This forum is like the rest of the world. You will find good, but you will also find bad along the way.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I think that much of the problem is this. We have a board full of some very experienced hobbyists, and those who are brand new and just coming from cigarettes. The hobbyists naturally think that all of this is easy and simple as they are surrounded by like minded people here. The newbies think this is rocket science compared to simply lighting a cigarette. Add in the fact that most people are withdrawing from the other addictive substances found in cigarettes at varying degrees, and the fact that so many factors in vaping is subjective and you are bound to have some heated arguments.

Vaping is still very much at a DIY stage. It has a technical aspect that not all people are suited for. That doesn't mean anything about their intelligence level. Just that as with anything else, some people will take to it and others won't. The more advanced vapers could do well to remember that some people absolutely need the simplicity of a cigalike and a prefilled carto. That some can't go further then an ego and a clearo. That some are just in it for the nicotine and nothing else and there's nothing wrong with that. Vaping is just a means to smoke without the serious health concerns to probably the vast majority of people who vape. They don't care for, or are commited to any one company. They just need their device to work with as little fuss as possible. Even the more technically inclined may need something simple to start with and work their way into it.

New vapers would do well to remember that most in this industry are small mom and pop companies. They can not fly out to help you with your device. They can not know all the ins and outs of everything out there, and some may simply be unable to help you. This technology is in its infancy, and as such, there is a learning curve to a lot of what is out there, and that learning curve is unavoidable in many cases if you are looking for top performance. It's harder then smoking in some cases to some people. If you are one of those people, please try and be a little patient. Help can be found if you are willing to try and learn. Yelling at people trying to help won't get you help. Even spending a lot of money doesn't ensure that what you get will work 100% of the time with 100% of what you want to use with it.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Well I'm old (65) and certainly hope someone isn't hoping I die anytime soon! LOL.

OP, you've got to realize that this is a public forum and you will come across all kinds of people with different personalities and circumstances. I have noticed in the two years I've been a member of the forum that there's a tendency for "on your face" type of postings starting on Fridays and lasting through Sunday night. It could be that some people start celebrating their weekend early and start imbibing beer or whatever and as a result their personality traits shine a little stronger. There's also the anonymity of the internet and some people "let it all hang out."

I've made it a point to not get emotionally involved with such posts and sometimes even avoid them altogether. Overall, the majority of people in the forum are on their best behavior throughout all subjects and it's an invaluable source of information especially for new vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread