Travel and Vaping The TSA "stole" me silver bullet... well, half of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
New York
I took a flight from ny to orlando. No pronblems. However, on the return flight, I packed my e cig the same way i did on the way south. batteries packed seperats in a plastic bag. Charger with no batteries in it, seperate. Liquids, cartos, attys, seperate plastic baggies. Silver bullet, broken down into 2 pieces with no batteries obviouslly. Ok I check the bag with all of this stuff in it. I get on the plane and fly back north. I retrieve my bags from the carousel, and proceed home. When i return home i unpack my bags. I notice that my bags have a "card" in them stating something like "your bags have been randomly searched". I think "figures i get randomly searched, but whatever". Unpacking my bags, i realize that the top half of my silver bullet is missing. I carefully check all bags as i figured it was possible it got placed into one of my other bags. Nope. So, the TSA took 1/2 of my SB, with no notice to me. Not even pull me aside and ask "what is this?". I email the TSA and of course I get a form letter with an attachment saying fill out this claim form. How can anything be removed from a checked bag without justifiable cause, and NOT letting the owner be aware of it? Completely bull :censored:. So now i have to file a "claim" that will probably be denied.

PS... Jet Blue

Last edited by a moderator:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
wow. sucks is right. makes one pause about flying and taking along PERSONAL vaporizers.
This makes it not worth the risk to take an expensive PV along for the ride... I mean really; I'd consider taking nothing more expensive or hard to replace (i.e. one them new fangled bottom juice feeders) than a TorneGo.

Last edited:

Stu99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
New York
I can uderstand that it may look strange to someone not farmiliar with a PV, but why was i not questioned as to what it was in my bag. If they thought it was a danger to "airport security", why was I not questioned? Why was I not informed it was removed from my bag? That is larceny. Trust me I know. Im considering going the all the way with this, but I dont know if it is worth it.

Heatherport

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Newport, RI, USA
www.cloud9smoking.com
What a DRAG. I guess it's a good lesson learned. My advice would be to keep that stuff in a carry on, that way if they search it, you are present, and can explain and hopefully prevent seizure. If it were me and they were trying to seize some expensive vaping gear I'd be saying "First let me talk to you manager" and so on and so forth until I left w/ that thing!

Stu99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
New York
What a DRAG. I guess it's a good lesson learned. My advice would be to keep that stuff in a carry on, that way if they search it, you are present, and can explain and hopefully prevent seizure. If it were me and they were trying to seize some expensive vaping gear I'd be saying "First let me talk to you manager" and so on and so forth until I left w/ that thing!

I considered the whole carry on thing, but decided that it was a short enough flight that I could get by without needing to stealth vape, so I put everything in the checked bag. obviously I wont be doing that again, but what right do they have to just remove something I own with no just cause? Absolutely none.

tornado9015

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Braintree
I considered the whole carry on thing, but decided that it was a short enough flight that I could get by without needing to stealth vape, so I put everything in the checked bag. obviously I wont be doing that again, but what right do they have to just remove something I own with no just cause? Absolutely none.

What right does the government have to hold "suspected terrorists" without charging them with any crimes? What right do hospitals have to quarantine an individual before any tests have been performed? What right does the FDA have to say that e-cigarettes are dangerous because they have ingredients found in anti-freeze?

You start worrying about what is right or fair, and you're going to lose your mind pretty quickly.

Stu99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
New York
What right does the government have to hold "suspected terrorists" without charging them with any crimes? What right do hospitals have to quarantine an individual before any tests have been performed? What right does the FDA have to say that e-cigarettes are dangerous because they have ingredients found in anti-freeze?

You start worrying about what is right or fair, and you're going to lose your mind pretty quickly.

Tornado,

I guess the whole thing is that i'm not a terrorist and not quarantined by a hospital, but I do chose to vape. Something I OWN was removed from my posession with no explination of any kind. That is what annoys me. Like i said earlier, I understand it can be strange looking to someone who doesnt know what it is, but it was taken from me for whatever reason.

Heatherport

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Newport, RI, USA
www.cloud9smoking.com

They don't CARE about YOUR rights. Sorry, that's Big Brother in post 9/11. I do hope you get it back, just keep hollering and asking for boss after boss, lol.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
Sorry to hear about your loss. Major bummer.

I have packed my GLV 5v on separate trips to the Philippines in my checked bag, and had no problems. I always wrap an eCig vendor card around it as well, by the off chance it gets searched. On my last trip to the Philippines, Delta lost my bag. Filipino Customs had to search my bag when it arrived in Manila, so they definitely saw my GLV2, but it was still there when I got my bag. Maybe the business card did me well?

Regardless, I would press the issue with Jet Blue and the TSA as much as you can.

Stu

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Queens, NY
I HIGHLY doubt ill get it back.. best case scenario, they reimburse me for it. Worse case, they dont do anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do anything. It's definitely worth trying though. That stuff isn't cheap.

Last time I flew I brought basically by entire arsenal of e cig stuff in my carry on. Never had any questions asked and was never searched, which is funny because for some reason I almost always get "randomly" searched at the airport.

Another vaping Stu in NY huh?

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
These goons and thugs have no accountability. Some jerk saw something that looked cool and snagged it. I'm surprised all the parts weren't taken and that they left a card.

It wasn't scoffed because of any security issue or imagined threat.. they just use that excuse to dig into your life.... you want national security, don't you? It's for the safety of the children after all....

There's no accountability and they steal stuff all the time.

bitey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Central Ohio
Last time I flew, a month or so ago, I had all my gear in my carry-on. They kept sending it through the X-ray machine over and over and announcing loudly that they were seeing something suspicious. Of course, everyone in line was staring at me.

I kept saying, let me show you what's in there; but No, they had to keep scanning it. Finally, they dragged it aside and started digging in it with me insisting that they had to be careful because I had my acrylic bite plate for sleeping inside on top and it is expensive and fragile (I'm a clencher, not a grinder in my sleep.) Ok, they pull that out carefully and then dig like crazy. Finally, they triumphantly pull out 3 Ego batteries and demanded to know what they were. I show them the identical one that they passed through in the shallow bin fully visible and tell them what it is. I offer to demonstrate, but they say No. Then, they scan the bag again without them and then again with the Ego batteries back in place in my bag. Then, and only then, am I allowed to leave, but I at least got to keep my batteries. They said it was the "shape" of them that looked "bad" to them.

Coming home, I packed them the same as I had coming to Chicago, but they didn't bat an eye at them. I have flown many times with no problem, but I always put them in my carry-on so I at least would get to argue. I think my biggest fear given my Ego battery "scare," is that my name has been added to some secret list somewhere. Aw, maybe not. I remember when flying used to be fun. Yeah, right.

Very sorry about the loss of the top of your silver bullet. I would definitely file a claim. Legally, once they saw it wasn't anything harmful, they had to put it back in your bag. Of course, they can always claim that the wiring looked like it could be part of a bomb to them. Let us know what happens.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Remember who we are dealing with folks. TSA = could not get a job at the mart as a greeter or as mall security. Half of them are outside smoking away on their breaks when I fly! Pretty soon we will all have to submit to full body and cavity search to board a plane!

As stated earlier I am suprised they didn't swipe the whole unit. Or maybe they grabbed the other half from another travelling vaper! Sorry to hear about your troubles and I wish you all the best as you try to retrieve your property. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread