The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Discussion in 'Travel and E-Cig' started by 13ways, Aug 31, 2009.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. noanaforme

noanaforme Full Member

Apr 20, 2013
    manitoba, canada
    Travelled Winnipeg to Vancouver (just got back). eGo-Ts in my eGo-T case and clearomizers and e-juice in my zip lock bag with all other small liquids - all in the security bin and no questions and away I went. Did not vape in the airports but stood outside on the fringe of the smoking areas and spent most of my time talking to airport staff and travellers out there smoking so little time for vaping.

2. uberpollo

uberpollo Full Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Boulder Colorado
    How about a VV/VW (specifically the Vamo) As well as clearos flying into Colombia. Will I get Questions and when I return, will I be cleared.
    (I know Colombian Air security is out of your job description but hey might as well ask.)

Cheers
    Uberpollo

3. Ganesh8

Ganesh8 Full Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Great thread for travelers. Thanks.:thumb:

4. GLBrocks

GLBrocks Full Member

May 16, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the information, I am actually traveling tomorrow on a flight and want to take my e-cigs with me. My question is, how should I explain the device if the questions arise? Also I want to take my iTaste and Vamo as well as two 30ml bottles of juice as I use different juices in each device. Is this ok? Thanks again for explaining some things to me and I am glad I came across this thread, it helped me a lot to understand what I can and cannot take on a plane or through security. I just want to clarify what I should say if they stop me for bringing these through security?

5. Barto

Barto Moved On ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2011
    Kapetown
    I also have never had problems when going to Vancouver.

6. DocFox

DocFox Full Member Verified Member

May 28, 2013
    Sultan, WA, USA
    I flew from SeaTac to San Francisco last month, and had no problems. I had googled TSA info before I left and was quite paranoid about it. So I didn't take all my models with me, just in case it got confiscated. On the departing flight, I put the battaries into a vape case and had my brochures with me. I put the tanks in the plastic baggy with my other liquids. No-one questioned it. So on the way home, I just put the battaries in my travel bag, and again, the tanks in my plastic bag. Again, no-one questioned it.

7. DocFox

May 28, 2013
    Sultan, WA, USA
    When I was googling travel with Vapes, I learned a term "ghosting" the vapor, and practices quite a big in the car on my way to the airport. For me, anyway, I have to hold the breath for a count of 10, then there is really no sign of a cloud.

8. DocFox

May 28, 2013
    Sultan, WA, USA
    How did your trip go?

9. DocFox

May 28, 2013
    Sultan, WA, USA
    I heard this too before my last trip. So what I did was re-assembled my models once I got on the plane, and put them in my shirt pocket. When ascending and decending, I unscrewed the mouth pieces to un-seal it, so the pressure could normalize. Worked for me.

10. DocFox

May 28, 2013
    Sultan, WA, USA
    Vaping in the bathrooms- I did not take the risk of just vaping openingly at either SFo or SEA, but I did vape in the bathrooms at both airports, just ghosting the vapor. I also Vaped in the bathroom on the plane. Same thing, I just ghhoswted the cloud. I also didn't take more time int he lavatory than would be expected, so as not to raise suspicions. I had no issues.

11. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    Thanks for sharing your experiences guys!

12. Stanglyfe

Stanglyfe Full Member

Sep 16, 2013
    United States
    How should i go about taking an evic on my carry on,should i remove the liquid in my clearo and take the battery out and head off?

13. DocFox

May 28, 2013
    Sultan, WA, USA
    I am not familiar with an eVic model, but on the eGo, I just unscrewed the clearo and put it in the clear quart size baggy with other liquids. Now, I don't usually carry other liquids on carry on, but I made sure to just as a distraction. Then I put the batteries in a carrying bag, and I made sure to also have the instruction booklet just in case. But it was not needed.

14. girlsdrivetoo

girlsdrivetoo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Ive not flown much and am leaving on a last minute flight to recover a semi truck for my company. Flying from Kansas City to Tampa tonight. I have my Provari with a PT2 in mypocket. Will security give me any trouble over this. Not taking a carry on bag, Im checking them both but will be stuck at the Tampa terminal for a while. Dont plan n vaping on the plane. Im flying Southwest.

15. gammaxgoblin

gammaxgoblin Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Utah, US
    I'm heading to London, France and Germany over Christmas. I realize you can't answer for them but other than doing what I can stateside, any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

16. cmknight

cmknight Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2013
    China
    I think part of the reason for the TSA's and customs in Asia allowing them through may be because they have been told by their higher-ups not to bother the foreigners about them (they don't want the foreigners creating a big ruckus over the matter, aka "International Incident"). As well, it may be that in some countries (like Hong Kong) where it is illegal to buy PV's and their accessories, it's not exactly illegal to own them.

Also, when I'm travelling here in China, I have my Vamo with me. When they ask me if it's an electronic cigarette, I tell them, "No, this is a Personal Vaporizer". They're usually ok with that.

17. DocTonyNYC

DocTonyNYC Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I wanted to say "thanks" for the FAQs. This is incredibly useful info. I travel quite frequently, but I'm flying tomorrow for the first time since I started vaping. I was pretty sure that I would be okay taking my stuff through security (I'm not checking a bag), but it was reassuring to read this.

I do have to say, though, it amazes me so many people seem to ask questions that are clearly answered in the very first post! I can guarantee that it would take less time to read that post than it would for another person to come along and answer questions that have already been answered. . .

I really hope I don't sound cranky. Instead, please take this as a friendly reminder to just look at the first post!

18. DanCullen

DanCullen Full Member

Jan 9, 2014
    PA, USA
    Are APVs, batteries, and chargers allowed in checked bags? I read somewhere that batteries were not.

19. DanCullen

DanCullen Full Member

Jan 9, 2014
    PA, USA
    On a recient trip from Pittsburg to California (LAX and SanDeigo) I Vaped in the terminal - I got a few strange looks but no confrontation and no problems with security or airport personel. I did not vape on any of my flights as I thought it would be inconsiderate in close quarters of an aircraft cabin - even though I do not believe there is any health hazard from secondary vapor! In the airport I did not stand close to anyone so as to inconvience them.

20. Impulso

Impulso Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    Some of the airlines have updated rules in the books. Noise canceling headphone allowed at all times, iPads/phones on but on airplane mode etc.

they however do state clearly that e-cigs not allowed at all at anytime on the flight. I specifically saw this stated in southwest today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk