Tilemahos v2 Plus Flavor Chaser Edition dry hitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been talked about but I searched for about a half hour and could not find anything conclusive.

Just got in the v2 plus FC edition and when the wicks are saturated well the flavor is outstanding, which is what I was hoping for because I really want a new 100 dollar tank to recommend to people looking to get into the higher end world of tanks.

That said I have tried 2 different coil sizes (2.5mm and 3 mm), and multiple wick lengths (just at the opening, halfway down the channel, all the way down the channel), as well as multiple channel locations (almost all the way open to almost all the way closed) and wicking has been very inconsistent and I've been prone to a high number of dryish tasting hits and needing to hard prime it (cover the airholes and pull)

I run higher VG juice, and cotton, but has anyone else had issues with the vacuum in the tank, or what wicking suggestions does anyone here have? Pictures of builds perhaps, I really love the flavor, but I'm really stumped with my issue.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: I vape at 19 to 24 watts typically. I thought this was important to note.

Last edited:
Reactions: tazz and Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I switched to rayon and tend to open my juice control about 8-10 turns for VG heavy mixes. I cut my wicks even with the housing, nothing in the channels. Resistance in the .6Ω-1.0Ω range on Esterigon.
The trick for me was using too little wick so that I got leaks and then make it just a few fibers bigger at a time. step by step.

Best of luck
Cheers
I

ETA: At 19-24 watts I would need to keep the juice control almost completely open. 15-17 "twists", so I can see the bottom of the wicks...almost.

I

Last edited:

tazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2012
Western Massachusetts
I'm right there with both of you, I had mentioned it earlier in the springomizer thread but everyone seems to think that it is me and how I wick but as I've told them I 've been doing this a long time. I feel that keeping the juice control all the way open is defeating it's purpose and yes I'm still getting dry hits with it and I have since packed them away until a later date or I possibly sell them as they are not doing me any good.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
tazz, did you do as I mention before? I mean that springomizer works well when you do these:

1. not tight wick inside spring.
2. open the juice control as much as it is required. Purpose of juice control is not defeated if you do the rest of the things
3. make resistances above 0,65 ohm
4. Cut wick totally flush to the channels

tazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2012
Western Massachusetts
Yes Imeo, I've done everything with no success. Running resistance close to 1ohm juice control open till I can see the bottom portion of the wick, wick totally flush and when I'm using cotton I make it nice and easy to slide through the coil along with trying all combinations of looseness to somewhat tighter, nothing works for me with this. I've also used it on both V1 and V2 bases.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
I'm right there with both of you, I had mentioned it earlier in the springomizer thread but everyone seems to think that it is me and how I wick but as I've told them I 've been doing this a long time. I feel that keeping the juice control all the way open is defeating it's purpose and yes I'm still getting dry hits with it and I have since packed them away until a later date or I possibly sell them as they are not doing me any good.

tazz, if you are using rayon, try this in your Springomizer, it has been working great for me:

2ltq6b9.jpg

I noticed that rayon tends to compress with the liquid, I mean, if I use a small quantity of it, it works good at first, no wicking problems, good flavor... after more or less one tank the dry hits starts. Experimenting with it, I noticed the wick was loose: the spring wasn't making good contact with the wick.

So I use a lot of rayon, it fits kind of tight inside the spring, then I do what is explained in the picture.

After the wick is installed, you can fluff up the ends.

* The blue text reads: "Pull the wick from B end, so A end doesn't pass the red line."

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
now that you said this Ariel, maybe its a wick issue? I make my experiments using cotton bacon bits"" and I never had any issues

It could be, I use rayon, and if I use a small amount of it (just enough to touch the spring) it works fine for some time, but later the dry hits start, first reaction was to open and open the liquid control, but it didn't help.

So investigating it, I noticed the dry hits were because the wick was compressed and loose inside the spring, it was fully moisturized, but it moved freely from side to side.

Following the wicking method I described in the picture solved the problem, currently vaping a 70% VG / 30% PG mix, 0.58ohms resistance at 22.4 Watts, liquid control opened 1 to 2 turns.

Reactions: imeothanasis

taxnail

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
allways near ... where my dog is
In my experience there are two main factors regarding dry hits with Tilly.
First: the wick ... the less the more ... as imeo says
second: if you fill it to the rim you schould open your liquid control more and try to give your atty some opportunity to get some air in the tank. you'r producing a vacuum. So liquid is held back. When a quarter of the tank is empty you can close the liquid control to normal and vape on.

I normaly open my liquid control not more than 1mm to max 2mm in height. This works from 1,0 to 0,7 ohms ... for me.
If I need to open it more I have done something wrong ... taste is then, by the way, accordingly.

Reactions: imeothanasis

mrZoSo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2014
GA, USA
@Understudy77 - I run use VG juices also, close to 100%, if the maker can do so, and haven't had any issues, with same size builds you use. Use straight battery though, max power,,heh
You just need to find the "sweet spot" with wicking material. What you describe sounds like your cotton is to thick in the coil. Less is more when using cotton, even more so with the springomizer. You should feel very little resistance when threading it through the coil, it will expand when saturated. If it's to thick and when it expands when saturated, it actually chokes the flow of juice.
I only had one juice that gave me dry burns, it was 100% VG and was almost like syrup! A few drops of water solved that problem ;)
Once you find that "sweet spot" you'll know it for sure! And I only have to open the juice control 3 to 5 turns, depending on the juice, to get max flavor.
Oh yeah, one other thing. Try different brands of cotton too. I use to use KoJenDo and another brand of organic Japanese cotton. Then I tried Cotton Bacon V2, what a world of difference in performance and flavor. I also use rayon for some builds as well.
What type of wire, and gauge are you using?

@tazz- What I've noticed, the Springomizer is really sensitive, or should I say not as forgiving as a hand wound coil, to wicking.
Springomizer brings a new build style to vaping, in a way, it looks familiar but reacts a different way. So you have to think a little outside of the "how it used to be" box.
Just keep experimenting with the wick. Also like I mentioned above, try different brands of cotton too. I have V1 with the Springomizer too, and it took me a couple tries to get it just right ;)

Captain_Vapor

Oct 11, 2015
I just got my tilemahos v2 flavour chaser edition today and lots of extras I ordered ha, BooM ha it's got all the goodness of my v1 with extra flavour, I'm using ... cotton as I have boxes of it and it works well as a flavour carrier and fast wicking too.
The only time I have had dry hits out of a tilemahos is when I have been lazy in wicking or in a rush lol, even the slightest too much can cause little problems, I use the absolute minimum and looking at it you would think it's not enough lol, but you don't need to Phil the hole gap in the channel slot, I mean from were the slot starts I barley fill it half way up over as the juice control isn't going up that high so u only need to cover it length ways not hight ways to rim of channel top, I also split the wick and drop half down on deck at each side to catch any over drips and to be honest Iv never had any problems with wicking this unless I have been careless lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread