Tobacco Flavorings and Enhancers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabriellyon

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Philadelphia, PA USA
There are two problems with most of the current recipes I am finding. One is that they assume you are using some percent of ejuice. This is not going to be the case. Instead I am trying to recreate ejuice from raw ingrediants. The other problem is the Lorann flavors do not have anything I have found to allow the creation of either flavors I am aiming at. Since they are both tobacco in nature this leaves me with the dilemma of how do I create a juice from scratch that resembles French pipe or captain black WITHOUT using any Ejuice in the recipe or extracting a base from real tobacco (which would give me the nicotine, and I do not want that).

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I was thinking of doing the same thing so I e-mailed Seedman.

He replied that none of his flavorings or enhancers have any tobacco essence or flavor at all. They are used strictly to alter and enhance the flavor of raw tobacco.

I think that's why most here started out with a tobacco flavored juice....to somehow enhance the flavor. But it will be interesting to see if it does anything when used alone. I have some flavorless liquid here that I meant to try with it but just haven't really gotten into it yet.

Lu

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Those who tried and liked the Seedman commercial cigarette flavour - was it the 2oz spray bottle of top-note that you bought (TOB 506), the smallest unconcentrated one ?

Sounds like this is much stronger than other flavouring brands and so a good choice. Is that so, stronger ?

Still liking it after a wek or so ?

Thanks!

gabriellyon

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Philadelphia, PA USA
That email you sent to seedman may have helped me save a lot of time. I am going with tobacco essence as my base flavor (natural extraction) then planning to add seedman flavoring and adjust with Lorann. This should take care of everything and make up for seedman products not having any tobacco base to contribute to the mix. With any luck I will have a strong 0mg juice cheaper and tastier than the commercial variety that I can vape all day long.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
SambucaLu - have you tried the Seedman flavours with flavourless juice yet?

No, not yet but hope to this weekend. I have the the commercial and English flavors. I did try a dab on a cart that I was using but really need to mix it up and try on a new cart to get the real flavor. I'll post here after I try it.

BTW...it was the 4 oz liquid I got, not the spray.

Lu

NicoNut

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Those who tried and liked the Seedman commercial cigarette flavour - was it the 2oz spray bottle of top-note that you bought (TOB 506), the smallest unconcentrated one ?

Sounds like this is much stronger than other flavouring brands and so a good choice. Is that so, stronger ?

Still liking it after a wek or so ?

Thanks!

Hey Kin-
I used the 4oz. (TOB506) commercial cig flavor, and I also have the 2oz. spray bottles of Vanilla and Black Licorice. All 3 of the bottles say "pre-mixed and ready to spray onto tobacco".

Yes, the Com cig flavor is pretty strong IMO and I still liked it enough to finish up about 25ml of juice, that I otherwise would have wanted to trash,:p because it was so bland to begin with. Start small, until you find what you like...I was mixing only around 4ml at a time, and liked it best adding only 3 drops of the com. flavor. The original juice flavor was coffee.

Have fun and let us know how it comes out!

Julie

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
I think this has been discussed on here somewhere but I can't find it at the moment:

http://www.herbsmoke.com/tasty_puff/

The Top Note flavors look particularly useful, however I would expect that the tobacco enhancers are the products there have been warnings about.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere on here:

Tobacco Smoke Flavoring Contains Hazardous Chemicals

Tobacco Smoke Flavoring Contains Hazardous Chemicals

ScienceDaily (May 9, 2000) — Compounds May Pose Additional Health Risk to Smokers

Scientists have new data that toxic flavoring chemicals found in cigarettes are reaching smokers through cigarette smoke and may pose health hazards of their own. The finding is reported in the April issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, published by the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society.
The flavoring chemicals, known as alkenylbenzenes, are found in tobacco additives used to enhance the taste of cigarette smoke. Until now, no one knew how much of the compounds entered cigarette smoke, according to lead author David Ashley, Ph.D., at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.
The researchers used a new detection method to analyze the cigarette smoke of eight U.S. brands. Previously, no method existed to easily and accurately measure the flavoring compounds in a single cigarette.
Long-term health effects from inhaling alkenylbenzenes directly or by second-hand smoke are unknown in humans, though earlier research associated them with cancer and lung damage in laboratory animals.
The National Academy of Sciences deems flavorings containing alkenylbenzenes safe for human foods. The additives, when eaten by humans, are thought to be safely eliminated by the liver. Cigarette smoke, however, delivers the chemicals to the lungs, where they spread through the body before the liver can screen them.
In the study, smoke from all types of cigarette — filtered, unfiltered and menthol — was tested for flavoring chemicals. Brand names were not released. Varying levels of five alkenylbenzenes were found in each, according to the researchers. In previous CDC research, researchers found one or more flavoring compounds in the tobacco of 42 of the 68 U.S. cigarette brands they examined.
One of the chemicals was found at levels up to four micrograms per gram of tobacco. Higher levels were found in the smoke when ventilation holes in the cigarette’s filter were blocked.
In animals, exposure to the chemicals can cause cancer and lung disease. In rodents, for example, animals inhaling one flavoring compound — eugenol — show far more serious adverse health effects than animals eating it, according to previous research.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread