Pictures..... need I say more?:vapor:

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Hi fellow BAMers!
This may not be the right forum but wanted to get some beginner advise from you folks.
Okay, so, I am relatively a noobie when it comes to regulated & TC world. Now that I have my "Black Magic" I want to broaden my horizons. I have been using mechanicals for years and while I do in fact have a custom Turbo regulated Woodvil I have just been running it in wattage power mode with kanthal coil and just adjusting by increasing and decreasing wattage & atty air adjustments to suit warmth and cloud production so basically VV mod.
I am ready to jump into Titanium wire and coil builds to take advantage of TC vaping.
I'm trying to figure out a starting point then go from there.
Currently and for quite awhile this has been my setup that I have been happy with on my mechanicals - 29G kanthal, parallel wrap, single 2.5OD coil , running at .75 ohms using ReadyXwick. I am an old school MTL tootle puffer. Vape like I used to smoke stinkies, long drags seeking flavor & warmth not lung busting, room filling clouds. I have no idea what the temperature comes out to be using that build but all I know is that it is a pleasant vape for me. Now that I am running with the regulated crowd I was wondering if anyone give me a recommended starting point using Titanium coil build and temperature setting starting point. Do I build the same and then just set a temp say around 425 degrees then just experiment with temp adjustment higher & lower? Any recommended wattage setting to go along with temp setting?
I know this is a long drawn out question but just wanted some simple starting point suggestions without getting too much technical overload. o_O
Thanks!:vapor:

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Hey Rudy,
For TC, don't use parallel coils, use a single wire 6/7 wrap 2.5 OD coil slightly spaced.
Wattage is less important in TC, as temperature control takes the lead,

just set it to 40 or 50 watts to allow fast initial ramp up, then TC takes over,
Turbo set on the mod.
Hold both up and down buttons till you see temp locked, then hit the up button twice, then scroll through the profiles till you get to the Ti profile, then hit the power button to select it.

Hold the up and down buttons again till temp unlocks.

Now, try your atty and adjust temp up/down to adjust to your liking

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah man sorry been so tied up but what bob says is perfectly on point, not much to add to it really but yeah once you are running in temp control then the wattage really isn't nearly as much of a factor, I mean for the first second it will give a little extra kick as pre heat to get the coil up to temp quickly but then the temp control will override the amperage if it's set too high, so it will limit the wattage even if it is set higher than you would normally need it to be, so it's normally common to set the wattage a bit above what you normally would and then the temperature limiting function will pull the wattage down as necessary.

few tips, Ti isn't a wire that you are going to want to dry burn or glow really to red hot, so I agree with bob that a slightly spaced coil is best. I would suggest cleaning the wire before wrapping because you are not going to be relying on a dry burn to clean it, some wire comes really clean but some can be kinda dirty or oily too depending on what you have, so an alcohol wipe can be necessary in some cases. set the wattage to maybe 10-15 watts higher than you would normally and then rely on the temperature limiting to regulate the actual wattage delivered to the coil.

don't worry so much about the actual resistance the coil comes in at because it has no real bearing on the power level you will be vaping at, but it is worth noting the resistance it does come in at and paying attention to it so you know what the normal base resistance of that build is , then if you ever see the vape is off you should confirm that it is still reading about what it should. the resistance being off at any certain point is one of the main causes people have problems with temp control. if you swap out a battery you should wait a bit and let the coil come back to room temp before firing it again, otherwise the vape will be off, again this is something that will be easy to monitor if you are aware of the normal base resistance you are expecting... same thing if you notice it's all of a sudden too hot or too cold, a loose connection can affect the vape big time and paying attention to the expected base resistance can be a good monitoring gauge for you... it's not uncommon to have to re tighten a new coil after using it a bit, paying attention to the base resistance is a good idea when starting to play with temp control.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Hey Rudy,
For TC, don't use parallel coils, use a single wire 6/7 wrap 2.5 OD coil slightly spaced.
Wattage is less important in TC, as temperature control takes the lead,

just set it to 40 or 50 watts to allow fast initial ramp up, then TC takes over,
Turbo set on the mod.
Hold both up and down buttons till you see temp locked, then hit the up button twice, then scroll through the profiles till you get to the Ti profile, then hit the power button to select it.

Hold the up and down buttons again till temp unlocks.

Now, try your atty and adjust temp up/down to adjust to your liking

Bob, do we have any idea how much surface area loss there's going to be with that change, efficiency and flow if he's using other than Nextel (which can take advantage of that power). I'd love to hear recommendations for a TC equivalent that approximates the vaporization rate profile Rudi's running and not just a temp set. Does just hitting a temp target duplicate it somehow magically? If not, what's the req temp likely to be, compared to what he's using?

So vaporization rate? Isn't that really what were trying to achieve in our vape? The effects of vapor density and texture are what we sense truly at any power level. What produces its variation, a temp set? It's not that important with TC?

Not just rhetorical questions. Really interested.

I feel like it's 2013 again tho — 6or7 winds of whatever, set the buttons and vape. The bridge that spans our water's been rebuilt a few times since then.

Just sayin' Bob, nothin' personal. I'm no TC expert.

Good luck. :)

p.s. Takin' this to the T.M.C. Next thread for anyone interested at takin' a stab at this topic of vape rate and TC.

Last edited:

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Thanks guys.
Appreciate the info. Sorry to derail this thread getting technical.
Been doing some research and gettin' edjicated so I understand the basics and I follow what you all are saying. :thumb:
This TC thing will give me a new world to explore. Tinker a bit with it until I dial in my sweet spot. Pretty much the same procedure as back in the day with my mechanical mods, "new" BF RBAs, nano coils, microcoils, subohm builds, different coil builds, wicking material, etc. Mac I know what you are saying but I really don't need to exactly duplicate what I'm running now so trial & error is not an issue. Who knows, I might like a certain combination of temp and airflow even better as I explore! :) Just wanted to get a basic starting point. I'm ready to order some wire, my last question, recommended gauge wire that's easy to work with? Been using 29 gauge kanthal and also using Nuppin atties.
In the mean time my lady and I are loving our new BAMs even running in wattage mode!:headbang:
Thanks all.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Personally I advise getting heavier wire than 29 gauge I really like using 26 again the end resistance is not going to dictate your power level and you also have preheat capability so the drawbacks that you would normally expect to have with the heavier wire are not necessarily going to be a factor here and they make the build much easier . Since you don't have the wire yet anyway I would highly recommend sweet spot ti if you can get it it's perfectly clean right off the spool and it is widely regarded as the best there is for our use

Mac I hear what you're saying but you should also realize that it's very possible that Rudy's vape is not perfectly dialed in as it is right now anyway so a little new experimentation is not necessarily a bad thing the target does not necessarily have to be to exactly match the Vape he is used to there's no reason why we couldn't actually make it even better than what he's used to

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Thanks John.
You are right about me not having to have my vape exactly the way I want. I have it dialed in the way I want within the limited parameters that I had to work with ie: mechanical mods & different coil/resistance builds. This regulated/TC world is a whole new ballgame so as you said I might find something better via tinkering. :vapor:
Thinking of trying stainless wire first before going Titanium route. Will go with heavier gauge as suggested.:thumb:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Personally I advise getting heavier wire than 29 gauge I really like using 26 again the end resistance is not going to dictate your power level and you also have preheat capability so the drawbacks that you would normally expect to have with the heavier wire are not necessarily going to be a factor here and they make the build much easier . Since you don't have the wire yet anyway I would highly recommend sweet spot ti if you can get it it's perfectly clean right off the spool and it is widely regarded as the best there is for our use

Mac I hear what you're saying but you should also realize that it's very possible that Rudy's vape is not perfectly dialed in as it is right now anyway so a little new experimentation is not necessarily a bad thing the target does not necessarily have to be to exactly match the Vape he is used to there's no reason why we couldn't actually make it even better than what he's used to

Know rudy's gig and parallel but don't think t.m.c. Just in gen output surface output in mw is perhaps the best parameter we have for determining what vape temp we actually sense. If you're strictly looking at watts, don't mean a thing. The thermal density result is what matters. Tom's build is vastly diff than rudy's. Would be nice if it could be one standard build and watts. And I understand that's not what Tom was saying. All's I'm saying…you still have to build for the device.

Good luck bro. Great devices and convo here. :)

Reactions: Gigdujour

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah I realized that that's what really does it for me with the Ultem....

In the very beginning I was never really much of a wood guy, didn't really think I liked it at all, I've been a mechanic all my life and in the beginning I really thought that metal was where it was at for me, but then again I started to really dislike aluminum because it scratched, dented, gouged and corroded so easily, so I tried stainless steel which I then thought hey, this stuff really should be the ultimate, but then I actually built a stainless steel squonker and right after it was built I realized that this thing is just too ridiculously heavy, I spent 2 weeks building a stainless mod that I never even used after because it was just rediculous....

I hesitantly picked up my first Woodvil because everyone ranted and raved about the feel and the lightness and after getting my first wood mod I was like wow, I instantly fell in love with wood, so much so that from that point on I was just done with metal mods.... I loved the lightness and the warmth of wood so much that it made me really start to hate metal mods... but as awesome as wood felt it did have one drawback and that was it's delicate nature. I mean in reality wood is really nothing more than a bunch of hollow delicate fibers held together by dried up tree sap. yes there is definitely a certain beauty to wood too and I do love the beauty and uniqueness of wood still, don't get me wrong, but I guess I didn't really love having to crazy glue it back together every time I dropped one and had them split or crack or otherwise just fall apart, as beautiful as wood mods are they just kinda feel like they are temporary in nature... a few steps up from cardboard yes, but longevity and durability while under the abuse that I put my mods through did still leave something to be desired, wood is awesome as long as you baby and nurture it, keep it moisturized but then again not too much moisture or it's gonna swell and warp, wood was awesome but also kinda delicate....

When I first picked up a piece of Ultem and made my first mod from it it was love at first sight all over again, I mean here was a material that had all of the awesome properties that made me fall in love with wood mods in the first place BUT with none of the drawbacks.... I mean it was warm and light weight and it just had that same awesome "feel" as wood, but then again it also had all of the benefits of a metal mod too, stronger than aluminum, more like stainless steel or even titanium really in many ways, but then it was still even lighter than even most woods but still had the warmth and awesome hand feel, it really is the best of both worlds...

Ultem is so appropriately named because to me at least, it really is the ultimate material to build the absolute best mod from. for those that don't know any better they may think it's just plastic, but trust me, this is like no plastic you have ever known. it can stand up to over 500*F without breaking a sweat and it's strong enough that you can run it over with your car or drop it from a rooftop and have it come out unscathed, it's the titanium of the plastics world and like no other plastic you have ever known... it really and truly is the ultimate mod material to me after having tried everything from aluminum to stainless and titanium to exotic woods, they each have there strengths and weaknesses but Ultem just really is the best of all worlds with virtually none of the drawbacks of all the others... there's just nothing like it, period. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread