Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiesquared

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2015
Los Angeles
I've neen using this on my Cuboid Mini for a couple days. I was running the MyEvic Firmware before. I really like the extra level of control that the NFE Toolbox provides as well as the TFR Curves. I believe that this is the best TC experience I have had on a non dna device. I will be updating and testing all of my joyetech and Wismec devices in the next few days.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I downloaded NFE Toolbox and updated the firmware on an eLeaf Pico over the weekend and I've been playing around with TC builds this week. I really like Arctic Fox and the ability to customize the display. The smart profiles are really nice as I've been using different atomizers with Kanthal, Ni200, and 316L SS. The Device Monitor is interesting (I have never used eScribe). Overall, I'm very happy with NFE Toolbox and I will likely make a small donation to the developer.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've neen using this on my Cuboid Mini for a couple days. I was running the MyEvic Firmware before. I really like the extra level of control that the NFE Toolbox provides as well as the TFR Curves. I believe that this is the best TC experience I have had on a non DNA device. I will be updating and testing all of my Joyetech and Wismec devices in the next few days.
I'm using Arctic Fox on a Pico to watch peak watts and peak temp for each puff to learn more about how temp control works.

Reactions: 52anddone

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
The smart profiles are really nice as I've been using different atomizers with Kanthal, Ni200, and 316L SS.
As for me, don't like smart. By default it has 10% range for different ohm on atomizers. You could improve eange to 15%... But I can build different coils on TC, so just disabled it)

• Informative

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There's yet anothe toxic chemicals scare being discussed in the forum. Some Cali scientists claim that bad stuff is created if coil temps riise above 470 F and may be even low watt vapors are at risk. So I wanted to figure out if my younger brother is okay vaping his N mini at 11 watts. To look into that I compensated for the difference in heat flux and fired my temp control coil at 30 watts for 20 seconds. The AF firmware lets me see power and temperature changes real time. Here is a video of how the test turned out. I doubt my tootle puffer brother is vaping anywhere close to 470 F.

Mike89

Apr 25, 2015
Recently heard of this software. Tried it on my RX200S and RX300. Just love it. I'm not into temp control and could care less about logos, but was very interested in being able to change the display to something more to my liking. This did the trick nicely for both mods. Went to classic display in both and that was a big improvement for me. I had no need for profiles so just unchecked that box. Nice additions to be able to control brightness and screen time out and length of time of puff time and amp display. They both now resemble the stock display (not the ugly circle one) on the Cuboid which is still one of my favorite displays. I also have the RX200 but this didn't improve the display on that one cause the screen is so small. It didn't look as crisp as the stock display. All in all though, hell yeah, sure glad I found out about this. About the only thing I would say could be improved is to make the text a bit clearer and increase the time for puff and amp display time beyond the current limit of 5 seconds. Wish someone would make something like this for Smok mods.

Last edited:

Plettschner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
CT
Thought I just bricked my Pico. Uploading a new logo and got an error... blank screen after that and couldn't read configuration, turn on, fire, nothing. Poked around a bit and went back to the firmware loader and happened to notice that the boot mode had changed from APROM to LDROM. Changed it back and all is OK.

So what's APROM and LDROM boot modes anyway?

• Informative

Plettschner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
CT
BTW, the ArcticFox firmware and NFE Toolbox are outstanding! The added functionality it gave the Pico is amazing. From being able to add preheat to adjusting fire button click functions. It takes the device to a whole new level. Thank you to the people who made this possible!

Plettschner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
CT
This assumes you are already getting a good vape in TC.... what if you are getting a good vape in VW using a self created curve...... and you find that those settings don't translate to TC. At least as far as you have found.....

Wouldn't it be nice to see temp wise on the graph what you VW mode is generating? Could be I don't like the feel of the hit when the TC kicks in vs always on power of VW.

Truth is i still like a mechanical vape better than regulated...
Problem with the mech is that sweet spot is a small period of time per battery charge. VW I get close and the hit is more repeatable. With TC I find myself constantl th having to adjust up or down between hits. Just to maintain a consistent feel.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
If I understand it correctly, you can crank the temp setting up to max and set your wattage how you like... you're not using the TC curve or any TC at all at that point. Set T.Dom to off and Last Temp for line 2 on and now the screen and functionality of buttons is just like VW mode but you can see the last temp reached. Run it with the software and you should be able to watch the temp curve.

• Informative

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If I understand it correctly, you can crank the temp setting up to max and set your wattage how you like... you're not using the TC curve or any TC at all at that point. Set T.Dom to off and Last Temp for line 2 on and now the screen and functionality of buttons is just like VW mode but you can see the last temp reached. Run it with the software and you should be able to watch the temp curve.
As long as you are using a temp control wire and the firmware is looking for that wire. I believe temp dominant only effects what is displayed. There is no way to measure kanthal via resistance changes because the resistance of kanthal doesn't change as it heats up.

• Informative

Plettschner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
CT
As long as you are using a temp control wire and the firmware is looking for that wire. I believe temp dominant only effects what is displayed. There is no way to measure kanthal via resistance changes because the resistance of kanthal doesn't change as it heats up.
Yes. I guess I just assumed that was a given ;)

Though, I wouldn't suggest trying it with Ni wire.

• Informative

FLICK

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Australia
The added functionality it gave the Pico is amazing.

I agree 100%, I've been using it for 3 weeks on a pico without any issues... It's been interesting monitoring my puff numbers and duration, I'm surprised how consistent I am from day to day, week to week...

The only thing that didn't work out too well was the clock, the time resets every time the battery is changed, not a big deal...

I'm using the "boost 1s" Preheat-Curve in Power mode, even at low watts it makes a noticeable improvement...
AF_preheatt.jpg

In the first second it ramps the power up to 150% then back down to 100%, it's a nice little kickstart:
AF_boost.jpg

Arcticfox11.jpg

VERY cool software :)

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Kanthal does change resistance when heating and cooling...... but the change is so slight most TC devices are not sensitive enough to regulate it.

Some TC devices can detect the differences and are able to TC with both kanthal and nichrome.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I agree 100%, I've been using it for 3 weeks on a pico without any issues... It's been interesting monitoring my puff numbers and duration, I'm surprised how consistent I am from day to day, week to week...

The only thing that didn't work out too well was the clock, the time resets every time the battery is changed, not a big deal...

I'm using the "boost 1s" Preheat-Curve in Power mode, even at low watts it makes a noticeable improvement...
AF_preheatt.jpg

In the first second it ramps the power up to 150% then back down to 100%, it's a nice little kickstart:
AF_boost.jpg

Arcticfox11.jpg

I like that you can make your own heat curve......I don't call it preheat. As you don't use it to heat up the coil before the hit.

I did my own... fires at 150% and decending incrementally downward to 90% at 2.5 seconds.

Who needs TC when you can have a curved power profile.

• Informative

Plettschner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
CT
Kanthal does change resistance when heating and cooling...... but the change is so slight most TC devices are not sensitive enough to regulate it.

Some TC devices can detect the differences and are able to TC with both kanthal and nichrome.

I do not trust them. From what I read, it's not accurate.

Sent from Uranus using Tapatalk

• Disagree

Plettschner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
CT

Yes, the preheat is sweet. I have mine at 250% for .4 seconds using TC on Ni200. Smacks the temp right up to the set point when you hit the fire button.

Sent from Uranus using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread