Upcoming Camping Trip - What vaping gear do YOU take when you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
I'm an experienced hiker, ultralight backpacker, and outdoorsman. Thanks for the tips though Mohamed and for the concern. I appreciate it.

This trip is inspired by the show "Naked and Afraid." We didn't want to go that hardcore, nor could we take that much time of our respective jobs. We are allowed the shoebox, the clothes on our back, AND our tool belt. There are very few items that we allow folks to wear, but steripens and multitools are allowed. The tool belt makes it much easier.

We plan on fishing, foraging, hunting and trapping for our food. My team mates are optimistic about the amount of meats we will be eating. I have a nagging suspicion that I'll finally get to try my recipes for clover and cattails. :(

I know it seems frivolous to take my vaporizer, but it's better than 6-12 packs of cigarettes in volume. I feel bad for my smoking friends because that trip will NOT be the time to bum a vape. I'll trade a hit of this sweet nicotine for a fish, chief! My shoebox is already packed and after I put my vape gear in I'll still have enough room for a nano and some headphones. It's crazy how much gear you can fit in a standard shoebox with enough prep time.

Last edited:
I have a weeklong hiking trip coming up in about a month and I'm in the process of packing my gear. We're very restricted on space and weight but I have plenty of room for my vaping equipment. I typically vape > 10 ml a day. I'm curious if you guys think I have enough vaping equipment for 6 days.

I'm afraid I'll run of battery by the end. Your thoughts, please? What gear do you take on your trips?

I do not trek with battery packs or anything, I got a solar charger and I use that. It weighs about as much as my cell phone, is about that size, and I strap it on top of my rucksack while I am hiking so it can fill up every day. it holds about 1800mah, which is enough to get me through a full day out. This way I do not have to hike the miles back to any car to recharge anything, and can be out for weeks without any access to electricity.

CAM02666[1].jpg

In this picture is my pv, my leatherman, a flattened roll of duct tape, my solar pack, and (edit-no, that's all that's there- I just emptied my pocket for the photo) any rate I always think of size and ability to access power; I go deep woods hiking for long stretches so any kind of "battery pack" wouldn't work for me. I don't remember where I got this but I am sure they're on amazon and such. Look for one that can completely charge a cell phone, then check the mah rating of the storage. I use mine for my onspot gps, phone, and pv out innawoods.

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
I do not trek with battery packs or anything, I got a solar charger and I use that. It weighs about as much as my cell phone, is about that size, and I strap it on top of my rucksack while I am hiking so it can fill up every day. it holds about 1800mah, which is enough to get me through a full day out. This way I do not have to hike the miles back to any car to recharge anything, and can be out for weeks without any access to electricity.

View attachment 252692

In this picture is my pv, my leatherman, a flattened roll of duct tape, my solar pack, and (edit-no, that's all that's there- I just emptied my pocket for the photo) any rate I always think of size and ability to access power; I go deep woods hiking for long stretches so any kind of "battery pack" wouldn't work for me. I don't remember where I got this but I am sure they're on amazon and such. Look for one that can completely charge a cell phone, then check the mah rating of the storage. I use mine for my onspot gps, phone, and pv out innawoods.

Thanks! I've always wondered about the solar packs. Does it actually fill up every day? That might be a much better alternative. Unless it rains the whole time like it has before. Of course, if it does that I'm going to be miserable!

Mohamed here's a pic of my gear. I still need to put the pita bread, fishing line, rope, and hooks in. But other than that it's about ready to go. 2013-09-17_20-16-24_990.jpg 2013-09-17_20-16-18_279.jpg

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Wow, are you going to be hunting/fishing/scrounging for food? I would be very hard pressed to make a survival kit that small if it needs to include food (not even sure i could make a week of food that small, lots of pemican i guess). At that point I wouldn't even be thinking about vaping. Good luck!

You might come close with MRE's but your better bet would be off with dehydrated food. Even the bags they come in have a bit of air that could vacuumed out if your willing to do without texture for your food. And you really only need 2 bags one for storage and one for adding boiling water as long you are close to stream and can clean the 2nd bag.

But I would want more survival gear and be more dependent on renewable food resources. You still need gear for fire, shelter making, 1st aid, etc. If my bug-out bag was only 1 shoe box I'd be focused on that gear or only have 1-2 days of food. Water will be of major concern. Those water filtration pumps might take up 1/10 or more of the box.

Last edited:
that looks like a good pack, if you really want to conserve space you could always put the peanut butter from the jars into a freezer bag instead, same with any other soft foods in rigid containers...saves space that way. I never carry packaging, always scoop my foods into bags that can be packed into nooks and crannies.

I do the kind of forage camping you're planning on a fairly regular basis. it's much more fun for me than...campground picnicking, you know? the less I have to carry the farther I can walk into the forest...

oh an yes they get a full charge in about six hours of daylight. I live oregon/northwest, on a grey rainy day they'll get a little more than half-filled.

bug-out-bags are for city kids. lol

mre's are for people without taste buds.

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
2013-09-17_20-43-18_578.jpg
10 packs of hot chocolate. 20 packs of coffee. Toilet paper. Coffee mug. 30 oz of pb/honey. Coconut oil. Ipod and headphones. Ecig charger. Spoon, Meds, soap, hand towel, large garbage bag, aluminum foil, space blanket. Add vaping equip, rope, fishing line, hooks, and done.

On the belt is magnesium, bug spray, multitool, 1 liter nalgene, saw, knife, steripen.

After you see all the tools I carry, it's not as hard of a trip, is it? ;)

every tool makes it easier! I don't carry a space blanket though, I have an oilcloth and wool blankets instead of a sleepy bag as well....I use oilcloth to knapsack things, tie em all in a balanced way to a frame pack. about the heaviest thing I carry is a camp hatchet...I just got one of those magic straw things, the water purifier straws. those are amazing as hell and small.

you've got nice gear man!

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Thanks! I've always wondered about the solar packs. Does it actually fill up every day? That might be a much better alternative. Unless it rains the whole time like it has before. Of course, if it does that I'm going to be miserable!

Mohamed here's a pic of my gear. I still need to put the pita bread, fishing line, rope, and hooks in. But other than that it's about ready to go. View attachment 252694 View attachment 252695

You mind listing out the contents of that box. Picture is a little small. I like the comment of I'll give you a vape of this sweet stuff for a fish ;) I've still never gone that hard core before. What area of the US you live in...geographic region is fine. Can't tell is that iodine in upper left for water purification? I've used that but prefer the water pump filtration system. Breakfast bars I would maybe do in exchange for dehydrated food or the condensed calorie squares if needed in a pinch. Forget the names of those by basically a 1x1 inch square that has your calorie intake for a meal. Taste bad and probably need vitamins if doing more than a month.

What's in tubes in the upper left. Those mylar bags on right...can't quite tell what they are.

Please keep me informed as to what you take and how your trip turns out. Shoebox is bit extreme for me. Also like that solar backpack but can you take those on your shoebox trip? If so I'd be set with survival gear.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
View attachment 252700
10 packs of hot chocolate. 20 packs of coffee. Toilet paper. Coffee mug. 30 oz of pb/honey. Coconut oil. Ipod and headphones. Ecig charger. Spoon, Meds, soap, hand towel, large garbage bag, aluminum foil, space blanket. Add vaping equip, rope, fishing line, hooks, and done.

On the belt is magnesium, bug spray, multitool, 1 liter nalgene, saw, knife, steripen.

After you see all the tools I carry, it's not as hard of a trip, is it? ;)

Yeah I was thinking all of that had to fit in your box as well. Still would like an axe although it looks like the saw could do you in a pinch.

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
every tool makes it easier! I don't carry a space blanket though, I have an oilcloth and wool blankets instead of a sleepy bag as well....I use oilcloth to knapsack things, tie em all in a balanced way to a frame pack. about the heaviest thing I carry is a camp hatchet...I just got one of those magic straw things, the water purifier straws. those are amazing as hell and small.

you've got nice gear man!

Thanks /blush
I have a few replacement items in the mail. I am jealous of the magic straw. I just upgraded to the steripen three years ago and the damn thing won't break so I can replace it! I think it will get all 1000 uses before it locks up. I'm not complaining, I'm just interested in using the straw.

I hate space blankets. They are too loud and they are terrible for blankets. I can make a decent shelter with one though.

I will definately put the pb in bags. Thanks for the tip.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
bug-out-bags are for city kids. lol
mre's are for people without taste buds.

Midwest and live in suburb due to job. I'll eventually get back to my out door ways. But so no reason that everyone shouldn't have a bug-out bag with at least 3 days of food, survival gear, 1st aid etc. Look at how much could have been prevented in Katrina if everyone had 3 days worth of food, water, and 1st aid. When .... hits the fan I'm not expecting the government to come bail me out. Know I don't horde amo, an AK47, or 1 year of food ;) but everyone should have 3 days worth.

And yes MRE's aren't tasty but shelf-life is amazing only 2nd to dehydrated vacuum sealed food...besides that isn't all that bad if you've ever tried it. Some can last up to 20 years.

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread