Upcoming Camping Trip - What vaping gear do YOU take when you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they tell you you have a pretty mouth. It's a coin flip.

but you DO have a purdy mouth!

Midwest and live in suburb due to job. I'll eventually get back to my out door ways. But so no reason that everyone shouldn't have a bug-out bag with at least 3 days of food, survival gear, 1st aid etc. Look at how much could have been prevented in Katrina if everyone had 3 days worth of food, water, and 1st aid. When .... hits the fan I'm not expecting the government to come bail me out. Know I don't horde amo, an AK47, or 1 year of food ;) but everyone should have 3 days worth.

And yes MRE's aren't tasty but shelf-life is amazing only 2nd to dehydrated vacuum sealed food...besides that isn't all that bad if you've ever tried it. Some can last up to 20 years.

Yes I have eaten plenty mre's...ugh
yeah that's more a disaster-preparedness bag...when you say "bug out" I immediately imagine some city boy trying to invade my peaceful forest with his new 1911 and a bag of dried apples...lol

I have ammo and such set up, but I live in cougar and bear country so it's a necessity anyway, whether it's some kind of apocalypse or not

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
I'm a bit apprehensive to tell you the truth. Once a year, my team goes on "The Big Hike." The last few years it was on the Pinhoti trail. We've done parts of the Appalachian trail. I've lowered the weight of my gear every year and gotten better at backpacking. Now, we totally switch gears and have to practice skills we haven't used in a long time.

I forsee some hungry men.

Thanks /blush
I have a few replacement items in the mail. I am jealous of the magic straw. I just upgraded to the steripen three years ago and the damn thing won't break so I can replace it! I think it will get all 1000 uses before it locks up. I'm not complaining, I'm just interested in using the straw.

I hate space blankets. They are too loud and they are terrible for blankets. I can make a decent shelter with one though.

I will definately put the pb in bags. Thanks for the tip.

next time out, before you go look around fir a thin sheet of cotton oilcloth. it's nice and quiet, weighs a bit more than the space blanky but works for a lot of stuff beyond what the space blanket will do

I was getting along before with no water purification (I usually go up into the siuslaw forest here, where there are good clean water sources) but I think it's time I had one, hence the straw. they're cheap too which was part of the appeal...twenty bucks nd you get one, and another gets sent to a place that needs em.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I'm a bit apprehensive to tell you the truth. Once a year, my team goes on "The Big Hike." The last few years it was on the Pinhoti trail. We've done parts of the Appalachian trail. I've lowered the weight of my gear every year and gotten better at backpacking. Now, we totally switch gears and have to practice skills we haven't used in a long time.

I forsee some hungry men.

Grand adventures are always worthwhile (well, not always when in the midst of them) so this sounds great. I would just make sure someone has first aid. Are you all coordinating who is bringing what?

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
yeah that's more a disaster-preparedness bag...when you say "bug out" I immediately imagine some city boy trying to invade my peaceful forest with his new 1911 and a bag of dried apples...lol

I have ammo and such set up, but I live in cougar and bear country so it's a necessity anyway, whether it's some kind of apocalypse or not

Well may bug-out bag may be a bit more extreme than most...maybe what I was explaining was bug-in bag. But for me they are one in the same. I got several weeks of food on hand at all times and if that were ever to fail it would be bug-out before looters came. I hunt regularly and have trapped some. I fish but my foraging skills are next to none. I'd like to get that skill up if you got a good book to suggest about editable plants in the midwest area.

Only firearm I have is a shotgun for deer. Can't use a rifle by law unless you are in hilly counties. Like to get at least 1 handgun for bug-out bag but I'm not going to go walking around with an assault rifle. I'll try the stealthier hide and seek route before trying to lug that around...that would just slow me down to much. Glad to see two members on here enjoy the extreme outdoors although maybe a little more than myself. I'm getting on the older side so too much of an extreme might be too much. I still like having the occasional smores next to the fire :)

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
Well may bug-out bag may be a bit more extreme than most...maybe what I was explaining was bug-in bag. But for me they are one in the same. I got several weeks of food on hand at all times and if that were ever to fail it would be bug-out before looters came. I hunt regularly and have trapped some. I fish but my foraging skills are next to none. I'd like to get that skill up if you got a good book to suggest about editable plants in the midwest area.

Only firearm I have is a shotgun for deer. Can't use a rifle by law unless you are in hilly counties. Like to get at least 1 handgun for bug-out bag but I'm not going to go walking around with an assault rifle. I'll try the stealthier hide and seek route before trying to lug that around...that would just slow me down to much. Glad to see two members on here enjoy the extreme outdoors although maybe a little more than myself. I'm getting on the older side so too much of an extreme might be too much. I still like having the occasional smores next to the fire :)

Your best advice for edible plants in your area is going to come from old people. I'm talking Depression era old people. My grandmother told me of all the plants they ate back during that time. My skills come completely from their desperation.

well one big thing to consider is that if looters come and you bug out, wherever you bug out TO is going to consider you a looter! the stuff you may anticipate to use for survival is already being used- anything you forage or hunt or trp or fish, is food you're taking from people who already live there and rely on it...so choose where you 'run' to veryy carefully

you oughta get a revolver, simple, easy, no jams. small ones fit nice in the rucksack

I am a bit older too but not old yet! when I get way old and creaky I'm gonna just walk into the woods nd dry up and blow away haha

I have a book or three on edible plants, all but one are pacific northwest specific though- on amazon they have the one big edible plants of north america book, that might be a good start, and if you google for "foraging forum" there's two out there that are great, and have areas as topics. and one hunting/fishing forum, ifish or something like that, has a section on foraging that's pretty good too

I'm not so much extreme as I sound, I just like going deep, so I can't carry as much as some might. I also do mostly solo hikes, did teh appallachians years and years ago on my own, and got hooked into that ever since

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Your best advice for edible plants in your area is going to come from old people. I'm talking Depression era old people. My grandmother told me of all the plants they ate back during that time. My skills come completely from their desperation.

Unfortunately I didn't move here until 30 years ago. I have no elder family members that ever lived here. I've been lucky to have grown up in tolerant community and have invited me along on hunting/trapping groups etc since I have arrived. I've recently moved to suburbs for job related to my computer science degree. I'd have to check elders of neighbors and such. At this point I'm not sure they do much wilderness outings.

Yeah not sure a book would do but it would be a start. I'm out fishing in public hunting grounds that are quite deserted from most suburb traffic. Unfortunately most in our group don't know much about foreging. They are mostly hunters/trappers/fisherman. I'm afraid I'd pick the wrong berry and die.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
well one big thing to consider is that if looters come and you bug out, wherever you bug out TO is going to consider you a looter! the stuff you may anticipate to use for survival is already being used- anything you forage or hunt or trp or fish, is food you're taking from people who already live there and rely on it...so choose where you 'run' to veryy carefully

you oughta get a revolver, simple, easy, no jams. small ones fit nice in the rucksack

I am a bit older too but not old yet! when I get way old and creaky I'm gonna just walk into the woods nd dry up and blow away haha

I have a book or three on edible plants, all but one are pacific northwest specific though- on amazon they have the one big edible plants of north america book, that might be a good start, and if you google for "foraging forum" there's two out there that are great, and have areas as topics. and one hunting/fishing forum, ifish or something like that, has a section on foraging that's pretty good too

I'm not so much extreme as I sound, I just like going deep, so I can't carry as much as some might. I also do mostly solo hikes, did teh appallachians years and years ago on my own, and got hooked into that ever since

If I'm ever out more than a day by myself I always make sure to tell wife where I am so if she needs to come looking she has idea. Other than that it's mostly group weekends. I prefer groups and if bug-out situation came I'd get with them if possible. Being alone in the bug-out situation just sounds scary. You are right no matter what you take you are taking from someone else unless no one else is there to see it. Let's just hope it never comes to that. I'll be happy on my weekend trips and going back to computer programing during the week days :)

I'll do some searches on those forging books as I said I think all of us in my hunting/hiking/fishing group are lacking in that skill.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
If I'm ever out more than a day by myself I always make sure to tell wife where I am so if she needs to come looking she has idea. Other than that it's mostly group weekends. I prefer groups and if bug-out situation came I'd get with them if possible. Being alone in the bug-out situation just sounds scary. You are right no matter what you take you are taking from someone else unless no one else is there to see it. Let's just hope it never comes to that. I'll be happy on my weekend trips and going back to computer programing during the week days :)

I'll do some searches on those forging books as I said I think all of us in my hunting/hiking/fishing group are lacking in that skill.

You can also check on meetup.com for local foraging groups or google "foraging group your area", you might be surprised at what is nearby. Groups i belonged to had month outings and always welcomed newcomers.

I usually have someone back in civilization who knows my general area and a day when I will check in with them. I've never had to rely on outside help but it's always in the back of my mind.

Foraging here in OR is great, there are a lot of edibles- lots to hunt, lots to fish, just food all over the place really. It's the reward we get for putting up with nine months of grey skies at all times :)

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1379809
Hopefully that one works. Think the other one was to my order...I'll remove it.
Hard to tell, it says 2A output, but that could be just that each output gives you 1 for a total of 2. I've seen some with one output at 2.1A and one at 1A. This would definitely charge a batt, but I would make sure at least one of the outputs puts out 2 before you got it to hook an atty to

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Since this has kind of turned into a camping thread, I have a question for y'all. I came across an ad for camping hammocks a while ago and was wondering, what makes them different than normal cloth hammocks? I've used hammocks solo camping for years but never knew they made any specifically for camping.

They very old one I have is made out of ripstop nylon and has a number of grommet holes and lash points. You can use it as hammock, but also as a shelter, groundcloth, carryall, or whatever else a mind in need can come up with.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Since this has kind of turned into a camping thread, I have a question for y'all. I came across an ad for camping hammocks a while ago and was wondering, what makes them different than normal cloth hammocks? I've used hammocks solo camping for years but never knew they made any specifically for camping.

It depends on where you are camping. In many parts of the US it is safe to sleep on ground. In other parts of US...I'd say swampy areas you need a hammack. The material it is made out of say cloth for instance will hold a lot of humidity/moisture/water weight. If you go with a nylon (more modern one) they dry very quickly and thus are less wait to carry but don't hold in the heat at night. The mylar sleeping bags probably won't cary your weight in a tree but they hold in the moisture and body heat very well even in very cold climates. As others have stated they are a bit "noiser" probably to be used in a stranded car situation but I think I must in the midwest as it can get very damn cold in the winter. These could save your life if stranded in the winter.

You need to very your weight carying, volume of packing, and effectiveness. Your gear is only as good as much as you can carry efficiently. A cloth blanket will hold moisture for days and useless in snow. Wool will dry quicker. Mylar/space blankets pick up no moisture. You got trade offs. Cloth you would have to dry/smoke near fire to dry in rainy weather, wool will dry quicker but is still acceptable, mylar well is a shiny plastic taken on space missions and doesn't absorb water and is always very light. Probably not anywhere near as puncture resistant as wool or cotton but will keep you keep in good condition for a week or so. Wool is probably 2nd on my list but heavier and more volume. Cotton can just down right weigh you down until you have chance to dry it out.

If you fall below icy water with cotton or wool you are recommended to strip naked due to hypothermia concerns. Cold wet clothes will just keep your body cold. Your cotton won't dry for days but your wool has chance of drying in hours if near fire. Wool is itchier to the skin but in cold/wet environment I'd choose wool.

Cotten however breathes better. If you are in a dry arid climate area where sweating a lot. Cotton tends to breath and wick the sweat away and keep you cool...but you need constant intake of water.

Not sure how this applies to hammacks but that is my understanding of the difference between cotton, wool, and mylar. Living in midwest water is pretty plenty. It's the harsh winters that will do you in.

Nylon is lightweight but not going to keep you very warm. It will dry out very quickly. So maybe use that in hot dry climate. I have not done any camping in desert and you're extremes are going to very between day and night as much as summer and winter in the midwest. Extreme heat and extreme colds for desert every day. In midwest you are talking seasonal changes of summer and winter. In my mind summer is much more survivable with water supply but the winter cold is going to kill you without a shelter of some sorts.

Fire, water, shelter...the order isn't always clear until putt in that situation. In most cases you want to stay put and mylar bag will server as reflector in the heat and retainer of heat in the cold. Can even be used to gather water in desert. Again that's just surviving a few days until rescue. Surviving more than a week with no grocery store; most people aren't going to make it. At my age I probably wouldn't make it myself.

At any rate just get 3+ days of food and bug-out bag and go camping. I mean really camping not electrical plugin camping. Do that with your family and/or neighbors. Maybe someday it will save one of your family members lives or one of your neighbors.

My nephew hates it; but I know he'll thank me for it 10 years down the road.

Other camper comments welcome. I'm not as hard core as some of these guys just can give you advice on what I know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread