Status
Not open for further replies.

v1ks_

Has a pretty generic custom title
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
Latvia
I've been having a read about the uwell crown coils and it seems they are made of stainless steel.

When vaporizing stainless steel do you guys think it will reach temperatures where it may be able to form Chromium VI (hexavalent chromium) which is basically the stainless steel being oxidized? I tried to look up some information as to what temperatures vaporizers usually work at but have not found any relevant information so I am unsure as to whether or not this form of oxidized chromium is formed as a result of the heated coils.

I'm no chemist, far from it, to be honest... also, English is not my native language, so texts that are overly scientific are giving my brain digestion problems... :)
Wikipedia states that: Hexavalent chromium can be formed when performing "hot work" such as welding on stainless steel or melting chromium metal. In these situations the chromium is not originally hexavalent, but the high temperatures involved in the process result in oxidation that converts the chromium to a hexavalent state.

Sounds to me that it's rather safe to assume that it's not really an issue as far as vaping is concerned. I think that only way how you could come somewhat close to such temperatures, is by dry burning the coil.

Quite happy to be corrected if I'm wrong! :)

3rdEarth

Aug 12, 2015
I'm no chemist, far from it, to be honest... also, English is not my native language, so texts that are overly scientific are giving my brain digestion problems... :)
Wikipedia states that: Hexavalent chromium can be formed when performing "hot work" such as welding on stainless steel or melting chromium metal. In these situations the chromium is not originally hexavalent, but the high temperatures involved in the process result in oxidation that converts the chromium to a hexavalent state.

Sounds to me that it's rather safe to assume that it's not really an issue as far as vaping is concerned. I think that only way how you could come somewhat close to such temperatures, is by dry burning the coil.

Quite happy to be corrected if I'm wrong! :)

Yeah, I have also read this and researched a bit and it sounds like the formation of Hexavalent Chromium seems to be quite unlikely from the process of vaporizing. However, I wasn't able to find any definite information as to what temperatures the coils in vaporizers do reach and as a result am unsure about the production of this substance.

From what I understand, metals form an layer of oxide on the surface exposed to air, however what I am really unsure about is whether temperatures are high enough to produce hexavalent chromium when vaping at higher wattages that people often use with this tank.

3rdEarth

Aug 12, 2015
Well, the melting point of Chromium is 1890C (3434F), melting point of stainless steel is somewhat lower than that.
One number regarding coil temperatures I did manage to find, was from someone measuring the coil temp with a probe gun, without juice, of course. His result was 700C.

Was this upon turning the redish colour when dry burning?

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
Finally showed up today...
CAfgqAm.jpg

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
Clark - what temp are you running the Ni coil on your D2?
I am currently running it at 39 jouls and 465 degree F. It's a nice full warm vape. as the coil get older I keep bumpimg it up a little. startes lower but this is after about a week with this coil. If you have not heard there is a small break in peroid for the taste to be spot on with mine I find that at 3/4 to 1 tank and then its pure flavor and I start to raise up the temp to were I like it.

StrahmNoMore

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
Welp, I was down to the last coil that came with my tank which was the .15 nickel. The thought of being out of coils for my favorite tank was getting to me. But, I couldn't find the .25's anywhere for less than 20 bucks! So, I went back to Code-3 Vapor where I bought the tank and ordered a 4 pack of the .15's nickel coils for $11.99 shipped! Since, about an hour ago, after my .5 died, I put in the nickel coil so I'm having my first temp control vape on The Crown right now. Clark Kent, you are right about that break in period. My Smok TCT nickels are like that too. I'm about halfway thru the first tank, 40j at 435 f and I'm just starting to notice alittle bit of the flavor "drip" so to speak. I'll bump it up like you said on the first refill.

Reactions: Clark Kent

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
So, I went back to Code-3 Vapor where I bought the tank and ordered a 4 pack of the .15's nickel coils for $11.99 shipped!

WOW! That is a sweet deal. I just bought the .25 SS coils for the Crown from Longhorn Vapors for $16.23. I skipped past Code-3 Vapor because they only had the Nickel. And shocking that Code-3 is shipping free, but browsed their shipping policy page and it looks like ALL orders are free shipping if within the US.

I will be bookmarking these guys for future purchases.

Reactions: StrahmNoMore

StrahmNoMore

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
WOW! That is a sweet deal. I just bought the .25 SS coils for the Crown from Longhorn Vapors for $16.23. I skipped past Code-3 Vapor because they only had the Nickel. And shocking that Code-3 is shipping free, but browsed their shipping policy page and it looks like ALL orders are free shipping if within the US.

I will be bookmarking these guys for future purchases.
Yeah that's the best price I've seen on them. Unfortunately they do only have the .15's and the 1.2's (which I don't recommend) right now, but hopefully they get some .25's in stock soon. They're a good vendor too, got the tank for $22 from em' during a 3 day sale and had it within a few days.

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
Yeah, wasnt even thinking about the 1.2. I have tried both the .5 and .25 and have to say the .25 just rocks right now - noticeable difference vs the .5, but could just be personal preference.. Will be looking at the nickel next, but I just cant see why someone would want the 1.2 coil.

Reactions: StrahmNoMore

J_B_86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
QLD, Australia
I'm loving the 1.2 coils. I go through too much juice as it is so I try to limit myself to 30w. They give a nice warm flavourful vape at 30w. Unfortunately I ruined my first one as my vaporshark insists on reading them as nickel coils and keeps boosting to 40w trying to achieve a temp it will never reach. So I will have to keep the crown on my other mods but thats not a problem reaĺly.

Copernicus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Canton, GA
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but I'm having a terrible time with my coils not wicking. I'm finding that sometimes I'm getting a dry hit and I notice that if I unscrew the cap just a bit a ton of bubbles will rise. Inn thinking it's a vacuum issue but I'm not sure how to remedy it. Any ideas?

Reactions: Clark Kent

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I have the .25 coils. What wattage are these specified for? quite hard to find an information here, just seeing 10-120W but I guess this is for all coils combined?
Might want prime the coil with juice, Take a coulpe pulls without power till you see some bubbles come up. Start on the lower side 35-40 watts and move up slowly, it should be good to go up after a few drags, than move up to your liking.

Reactions: jmercury1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread