Vaping and dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When PG/VG is heated into a vapor, it causes the moisture in the surrounding air to condense into the visible vapor like your breath on a cold day. This means you are exhaling a bit more water than when breathing normally and this can cause your mouth and throat to go dry causing a bit of irritation if you don't replace it by drinking something.

As far as vaping caffeine, you can certainly dissolve caffeine into e-liquid, but you'd have to vape an entire 1ml cartridge with 20% caffeine just to get the 200mg in a single cup of coffee... :nah:

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
A little over a year ago, I finally started drinking more water and cut out the soda, etc. I would drink at least 96oz throughout the day, granted some days with work being busy, that could be less. But that is always my minimum goal.

I did notice that even at that level, I would still feel my mouth drying out, more so if I end up doing a chain vape session. So now I always make sure I have my water bottle next to me when vaping.

I'm surprised this topic isn't brought out into the open more. I had no idea in the beginning about dehydration from vaping, and initially thought my dry mouth may be another side affect from quitting analogs, until I happened across another post several weeks ago. In fact, after doing a search, this topic seems to come up quite often. Of all the info pages, and information available on the home page, and even within stickies in the New Members section, there is nothing that talks about dehydration from vaping. The only thing I could find close to it was in the Quick Answers section that talks about getting the PG dry throat after quitting analogs. Dehydration can be pretty serious, and this should be addressed more prominently in some fashion within the newcomer guides/info pages, and maybe as a sticky here in the new members forum.

On that note, does anyone know who would be the right person to talk to in order to recommend this?

'Vaping is dehydrating' is just a myth, a nonsense.

We exhale water vapor all the time. While VG and PG are indeed humectants, that couldn't possibly account for a need for more than an extra teaspoon of water a day. Though PG/VG might give a sensation of dry mouth, they are not losing extra water from the body.

While it does no harm to drink a little more fluids, it is purely palliative; there is no real need to do so.

Last edited:
I have to drink water when I vape or else my mouth and throat get sore. Although I drink less with vg I still have to drink more water than normal regardless of vg or pg mix.

The water flushes away the cause of the sensation of dryness. It is not that you are actually dehydrated. Hope that is clear.

I can imagine 99% of people will disagree; but that's the science.

It's not really appropriate to refer to it as "dehydration" which is the medical condition of having too little water in your system that can land you in the hospital with a saline drip--not really the same thing as what happens when you vape a lot without drinking a bit of water to re-moisten your mouth and prevent sore throats. Vaping doesn't really dehydrate you, but it can dry out your mouth. It's a small but important distinction.

It's not really appropriate to refer to it as "dehydration" which is the medical condition of having too little water in your system that can land you in the hospital with a saline drip--not really the same thing as what happens when you vape a lot without drinking a bit of water to re-moisten your mouth and prevent sore throats. Vaping doesn't really dehydrate you, but it can dry out your mouth. It's a small but important distinction.

Exactly.

Stating it as dehydration is to attach a misrepresentation with an underserved negative connotation to vaping.

Luckily, I don't get a dry mouth from vaping. But I do sometimes after drinking water - probably when the mineral content is high and after an acidic meal. So I might have a coffe or tea, say, to take away that dry taste. I wouldn't say that the water had dehydrated me!

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I think the best thing is to use common sense combined with what makes you comfortable.

If a person is dehydrated, his/her urine becomes more concentrated and darker......as long as the urine is copious, light and clear everything should be fine.

If your throat is dry and it makes you feel better, drink more fluids!

It's a good rough guide, though a few things can color an otherwise clear picture, so to speak.

///whether it does or it is just a perceived effect, I think you both do a disservice bringing this up here, now and at this time and accomplishes nothing but cloud the issue...but, that's just me and your mileage will certainly vary from mine............
madjack:2cool:

What ???

It makes the issue clear. It is not dehydration, so we shouldn't use that word. It is a sensation of dry mouth/throat. It is important because this myth could taint vaping as having some danger without precaution - not so.

I'm not saying drinking extra fluids is not helpful, only that the issue is not dehydration. I see this 100s times every day and it needed clarifying. Smoking gives a dry mouth moreso, that's one reason pubs would like to keep it ;)

Your statement is baffling, but in general I admire your helping others with good humor and enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread