Vaping is not working for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikethePipe

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Suffolk
I just can-not get the needed satisfaction to quit my old habit of smoking analogues. Bearing in mind i was on 40+ a day RYO's and a 10 hour a day pipe smoker at weekends.
I have been vaping for a month and can say, that i have at least cut out the pipe but just got to smoke a few analogues daily. Probably down to 10-15 RYO's at the moment.
The trouble is, i find vaping very frustrating and i need to keep at it continuously hour after hour searching for satisfaction. There is nothing wrong with the PV I'm using, it's a Tornado and can fill my lungs quite easily with huge amounts of vapor but it's like inhaling nothing. I'm using 38mg liquids, my favorite is Old Holborn then Golden Virgina. I don't like any of the fruity flavors, but the odd vape with coffee flavor is passable at times, but so far i can only find it in 24mg, that's far too weak.
I find 38mg is also weak but it's heading in right direction. I have searched for stronger but so far not found anything...Do they make it?
In the meantime i chew 24mg NRT gum while vaping and smoke a few analogues to top up my crave.
So, I'm looking for a 50mg or stronger pure tobacco liquid to try...Can anyone help?

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I'd be afraid to try anything above 36mg for vaping. There are places that sell it higher than that for mixing it to lower levels yourself, but they are very clear that you're supposed to dilute it. A lot of folks seem to like SNUS in addition to vaping to get additional nicotine and tobacco alkaloids. The other thing you may want to consider is going to a 5 or 6 volt mod. They give a much stronger hit, I love my 5 volt passthrough for that reason, but I find that 6 is a little too much for me most of the time, though a lot of folks like 6 volts a lot. The higher voltage gives a much warmer vapor as well that I think feels more like what smokers are used to.

Pat yourself on the back for cutting your smoking by 75%! Evey cigarette not smoked is a victory and benefits your health. Not everyone switches right away and even if you keep smoking a few analogs a day think of how many you're not smoking anymore. Try a high voltage mod and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how satisfying it is.

Oh yeah, if you like pipe's you might want to try the French Pipe flavor. It's very good.

whimzkool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
DFW
If you are having to go that strong (over 36mg), it may be that vaping alone is not enough for you. I would suggest you visit the other alternatives to smoking section for additional ideas Other Alternatives to Smoking - E-Cigarette Forum
Some people use snus, snuff, disolvables, or vaporize tobacco in an iolite to get the other alkaloids that are present in tobacco that just aren't there in pv's and other NRT therapies.
The point is, bypass the combustibles and reduce the harm that comes from the burning plant matter. I do everything but the snuff. Try everything if you really want to get away from the sticks. Many people still smoke a reduced amount, it is all about you, your health, and what your ultimate goal is (supplant/replace or quit altogether). Ask questions, folks are very generous with advice here. Believe me, I felt like a complete failure when I realized that PV's alone were not enough for me. Never imagined I'd be popping a snus under my lip, but I do, and it is great.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I don't know what device you're using but I found that the answer to the satisfaction issue was more about vapor production than nic level. Little e-cig batteries didn't put out enough vapor for me. I found that when I stepped up to big battery mods and started getting clouds instead of whisps I felt a lot more satisfied. 38mg is pretty high. I would suggest looking for a mod, maybe something in a 5 or 6 volt unless you have already tried that.

Greg558

Mar 27, 2010
North Carolina
I find 38mg is also weak but it's heading in right direction. I have searched for stronger but so far not found anything...Do they make it?
In the meantime i chew 24mg NRT gum while vaping and smoke a few analogues to top up my crave.
So, I'm looking for a 50mg or stronger pure tobacco liquid to try...Can anyone help?

it might be that the reason you have to have a few analogs a day is that maybe because your addicted to 1 or more of the 4000 chemicals thats included in a analog (1 of 4000 other than nicotine i mean), if you usually smoked 40 analogs a day, and alongside of vaping it allows you to cut down to 15-20 a day.. thats atleast cutting it in half.. try next month cutting in half again to try and wing yourself off them...

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I smoked 3 packs a day of marlboro red for 40 year. I use 36 mg. I have tried up to 48 mg but it made me nauseated. If 36 is not enough for you try the 48. I know people will say it is not safe but if it does not make you sick you should be ok. I would take caution when using a higher nic than 36. You are to be commended on you success so far.

PriestSLC

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
Spanish Fork, UT
It took me about a week of vaping, and dying for a analog until I was able to separate for them, I agree you are probably addicted to one of the over 4000+ chemicals in cigarette smoke.

I would say that a good 5v device and 36mg tobacco flavor juice from tasty vapor may be the ticket, I would go with a 10% to 15% VG for a better vapor production.

It will suck for about a week at least... you have come so far! that is something to be commended! quitting is hard and it completely SUCKS but you can do it, you just got to get the proper gear, commit to giving it a week to two, and you will make it.

Also for better vapor production you can look in to low resistance atomizers, I just got 2 from nhaler.com, I am waiting to get them, they simulate a 5v mod option.

I think they were about 12 bucks each, and you need to have at least a 450mah battery or a passthrough to use them, but they may be the ticket.

Congratulations on your current progress, and I hope you are able to find the right combination for you.

clownfish159

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2010
Ohio
So if I read that right, you are chewing 24mg nic gum and vaping 36mg nic juice and want to up your juice to 50MG nicotine?!?!?! That seems to be asking for trouble! 50mg ingested can be a lethal dose. You should be very very careful! Would not recommend this at ALL!!

Nicotine can be lethal in 40-60 or higher MG dosages. Probably even lower MG dosages if you are vaping entirely too heavy. Not to mention chewing 24mg gum on top of vaping such a high dose!

Why not just throw a 28mg patch on, chew some 24 mg gum, vape some 48mg and smoke a pipe while you write up your will. Better write fast tho! :p

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
You say it's not your PV but based on your statement that it is like inhaling nothing, then it definitely IS your PV. You are using quite high nic strength but a weaker battery PV. You should consider a 5 or 6 volt device for the throat hit you need. Here is a site that would help (ignore the 3.7v mods):

e-Cig Battery Tube Mods | eCigarette-Mods.com

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Hang in there.

Some of us have a tough time through the first year of vaping. I was another one that needed "something else" when just vaping didn't cut it. Snus was the perfect answer. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smokeless-tobacco/80061-beginners-guide-snus.html

Remember, we smoked hour after hour searching for satisfaction... so vaping isn't likely to be much different (especially right away). It has been only recently for me (after over 12 months) that I feel I can go in another room without my PV in my hand LOL!.

It is ok to smoke while you vape until you figure out what works for you. All cigarettes replaced by vaping is a victory!!

Nicotine level is one piece of the puzzle... your atomizer model, batteries, liquid flavors and routine all have to fit comfortably as well. The additional stress and anxiety of wonky fiddly gear and bad liquid (taste/nic level) can put you back on cigs faster than anything! WV is right about a mod, however there is even a difference when using 3.7v mods (vapes at 4.2v). Might want to try a 5v passthrough first, and if that works well, go for a mod that can do higher voltage. I love my passthroughs and use mods at 3.7v. Also adding a little PGA to your liquids for throat hit can help.

I've used the liquids you are using. Both are good. I'm another that tobacco flavor simulation is what I need to keep off cigarettes. Keep searching for what gives you that smoking "Ahhh" feeling and buy a good quantity of it when you do. I had a very smoky tobacco that was perfect, but it was discontinued... I had to scramble to buy up as much as I could! Stressful and it will all be gone some day, so I ration it. Since then, I found a few more liquids that do the trick for me (Halo Smooth 8) but again, not in stock lately... so I may have to search yet again!

We're all here for you! Good luck.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Your right... that's what I did. Vaped and smoked until my carton was gone. Gave me some time to prepare my head. I also walked into vaping with a "either it works or it doesn't" attitude. I wanted to quit, but didn't just give over all at once. By the time I was down to the last pack (a crappy dried out pack that was in my car for "emergency" and tasted like ....) I was really ready to be done with it! They were awful!!

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
I agree with what everyone else is saying..do NOT beat yourself up because you haven't completely quit analogs, look at it in how many cigarettes you're NOT smoking.

That being said, it is EXTREMELY dangerous to combine so much nicotine. I HAVE seen a nicotine overdose in a small child. (I used to be a paramedic). A three year old hit his father's snuff tin and ate a LOT of it. VERY ugly situation. Something you do NOT want to go through.

Your BODY, at THOSE nic levels, is NOT craving nicotine. There are a lot of other components/chemicals in analogs, but nothing that's as addictive in quality as the nic. It's most likely a 'mental' addiction. Nothing wrong with that, we've ALL been though that doorway too.

Even though you figure you ARE getting the same nic as you would from your analog, it's NOT an analog, so how can you be sure, right? Right. That's PROBABLY what's causing you to go overboard on your nicotine intake. Rest assured, you ARE receiving the same amount, in fact, you're in SERIOUS danger of an overdose!

Yes, your body NORMALLY tells you when you've had too much, (the nausea, sweats, irritated bowel, etc.), but sometimes it DOESN'T. Keep this in mind, drug addicts will sometimes overdose on the EXACT amount they normally use. Everyone's body is different and some of them are 'quieter' than others...until it's too late.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
What has helped me (a large degree, as of late) was using things like Cinnamon Oil flavoring. It gives a killer throat hit (with a moderate nic concentration), yet I have to stop adding PGA as it tends to (or seems to from my testing) deteriorate it rather quickly.

I have noticed that Clove Oil, and mint flavoring helps with the hit a bit.

Just curious: Are you getting dizzy, or have a mental fuzzyness when vaping that much nic?

Last edited:

MikethePipe

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Suffolk
What has helped me (a large degree, as of late) was using things like Cinnamon Oil flavoring. It gives a killer throat hit (with a moderate nic concentration), yet I have to stop adding PGA as it tends to (or seems to from my testing) deteriorate it rather quickly.

I have noticed that Clove Oil, and mint flavoring helps with the hit a bit.

Just curious: Are you getting dizzy, or have a mental fuzzyness when vaping that much nic?

Thanks for all the feedback...in answer to this one, NO i get no reactions at all. For years I use to smoke the strongest Pipe tobacco i could find. I always knew when i had enough, i got the Hic-cups.

MikethePipe

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Suffolk
Many thanks for all the feedback and a few ideas to try. I will set myself up with a high volt PV. Passthroughs are no good for me, I'm always on the move.
Also not worry about smoking analogues, i guess a few a day won't hurt. Will stick with the 38mg liquid and give it a chance to work.

My PV at the moment is a TORNADO, it does vape well, plenty of vapor, just no satisfaction to show that i have enjoyed a good smoke, very frustrating trying to get a good solid throat hit, like drinking watered down alcohol, you need a gallon of it instead of a pint.
I will order a couple of the low resistant atomizers and see if it changes things.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
It sounds like what you are missing is the Maoi's that occur naturally in tob. If this is the case increasing your nic intake will not help at all in fact it may make you sick. I had the same problem until I started using Swedish snus, which is kinda like nicorette, no spitting, easy to use, and Imo way better tasting and cheaper than nicorette.

Unlike nicorette, snus has the maoi's in it you are missing. It has made me a happy camper, I have given up smoking, I vape maybe .5 mls a day anyways snus can be gotten at www.getsnus.com good luck to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread