Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Spydro...if you're interested in selling a piece of the Taz big enough for a 26650... I'm screaming as loud as I can (at myself)...please let me know my friend......:)

You're not the first to ask here or elsewhere in the past (the others privately to not stir up admins of various sites). So I have thought about cutting up extra mod blocks of many of my woods when I pay to use that shop to cut the blanks for my VRmods. Instead of a day it could take a week or even a month's shop time depending on how much of it I cut up and the availability of a bandsaw. The wood is just sitting in storage and I have a lot of money tied up it. But it would be a lot of extra work digging wood out of storage, in planning and making cuts when a bandsaw is available, trying to get descent pictures of up to dozens of blocks, packing and shipping by a body that doesn't move in public very often or very well anymore. And short of SleazeBay there is no easy way to make it available since I doubt it can be sold via ECF classifieds, and sales are not suppose to take place via ECF's PM rules either. Something to ponder.

Reactions: Doffy

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hi spydro, will come back with your questions tonight, but for this wood the way past customs is to simply put a layer of epoxy over the outside, it will all be taken out in the making, and if the voids are filled on the outside customs will treat it as finished wood, with no issue. Lovely selection by the way!

Thanks for the info about customs V. Good to know for future reference. But as I told you via PM's previously, these steps would have to be done on this particular wood before you could make a mod out of it, and you don't have the equipment or supplies to do them either.

coaldriller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
West Virginia
You're not the first to ask here or elsewhere in the past (the others privately to not stir up admins of various sites). So I have thought about cutting up extra mod blocks of many of my woods when I pay to use that shop to cut the blanks for my VRmods. Instead of a day it could take a week or even a month's shop time depending on how much of it I cut up and the availability of a bandsaw. The wood is just sitting in storage and I have a lot of money tied up it. But it would be a lot of extra work digging wood out of storage, in planning and making cuts when a bandsaw is available, trying to get descent pictures of up to dozens of blocks, packing and shipping by a body that doesn't move in public very often or very well anymore. And short of SleazeBay there is no easy way to make it available since I doubt it can be sold via ECF classifieds, and sales are not suppose to take place via ECF's PM rules either. Something to ponder.
I don't see why wood for mods would not be allowed In the classies. Might be a question for an Admin

Sent from the land of squonking [emoji631]

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I don't see why wood for mods would not be allowed In the classies. Might be a question for an Admin

Worth a try maybe. But getting a definitive answer that all in power on ECF agrees with, or ECF moderators who all play by the same exact rules is not always easy. It also could be called a "business" by them even though it would be me just selling persoanl items I own that I would never use "again".

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
Couple of final pics for Doffy...
Doffy finished 002.JPG
Doffy finished 003.JPG
Doffy finished 004.JPG

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
Time split between Cadman and Houndb at the mo.
Houndb's 18 has the beauty of 2 options, with 2 sets of caps made together so that they both match perfectly. Will be a bit of a juggle to sand them though, swapping caps when swapping grits all the way. One set silver with a rosewood contrast band, and the other copper with a flashy aliminium band between the copper sheets, will be quite spectacular. I have done an adhesion test with CA on polished ali, will great results. Not yet sure if it can be soldered successfully, but this may turn out to be another option.
cadman houndb 001.JPG

Beautifull deep blue burl with some nice wavy grain through it too.

Cadman is not up for flashy but wants the wood to do the talking, so his birds-eye Maple block was a good choice. The contrasting band (will be quite dark finished, see the offcut next to it) is from a big totara (5 feet through the bole) that lay buried 6m deep in a West Coast swamp for 10,000-20,000 years as estimated by the experts, so predates known human history (just a fun fact I like to throw out there when I work this stuff).

Should be up for a 'pop' shot tomorrow.
cadman houndb 003.JPG
cadman houndb 006.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread