• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What Did You Do Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
What I got from the first season was your typical weekday drama, but this first episode gave me some hope for the second season.

It also made me re-think about packing "empty space" into my pack. I don't know if there was a specific scene, but something made me realize that I will need to leave room for "found objects" along the way.

Accidentally sent when I sat on my phone.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Nice selection! I've found myself with plenty of empty space packed. After getting seperated and thinning the pack down to what my son and I will need, I had to look for a smaller pack. I found an old external frame hiking pack for $5, and still have some extra room. The only thing that I don't like is it rides low and doesn't feel well on a bike ... not that we'll be bugging out on the bike though.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
My pack leaves me feeling fairly comfortable, but my son has been voicing his desire for a bag. As a matter of fact, the only thing he has asked for for Christmas is a "survival pack". We were at Goodwill a couple days ago. And saw an external frame Coleman backpak ... his eyes lit up like nothing I'd ever seen. It is an aweful pack, but it's his first love, so we picked it up at $6.99, and he made a list of things he would like to put in it. His list is more a gift to me due to how well he has thougt about what is needed! Now I have a Christmas list too! LOL

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I'm a little late in posting this, but my son got about 80% of what he needs in his bag for Christmas. He even got an Israeli gas mask (which he didn't take off for 3 days) with extra canisters and a painting respirator for any fallout from volcanoes that might go off near us. We are both still lacking tents, as I ordered tent footprints by mistake, and don't have money to get them at the moment, so our tarps will have to work for now.

We had some flooding at the end of last week, so he was diligently arranging his bag so that he knew where everything was, and made me proud. The wetlands about a mile from out house flooded, and the storm drains became clogged and just couldn't keep up with the 5 1/2 inches of rain that followed about 4 inches of snow over a 4 day period. There was about 2 feet of water within a block of where we live, so it was all rather exciting for a 12 year old boy.

Been a while since i posted. I am waiting for one more piece of furniture for the AK, then will refinish all the wood. Took all of the plastic "tacti-cool" junk off of it that was on it when I bought it. I also bought a new lower today...decided to build an AR. I went with a 'Zombie Defense" lower, and added the color option. I went with green coloring for zombie defense lettering, the white/red/green on the safety and orange bio-hazard symbol. Havent decided yet if I want to build a rifle or pistol with the lower, or what caliber. Lowers - Zombie Defense Firearm Sales and Manufacturing

Well did some thinking, and searching and decided to build a rifle instead of a pistol. I also decided to go with a 7.62x39mm build. I am working at my friends gun store (insert a Tim the tool man Taylor grunt here) so I will be getting the parts at cost which will keep the build pretty reasonable. Will post pics when the kit and receiver get here and post a write up of the build once I get started. The lower is 2 weeks out at minimum, due to the coloring and the kits are running about 2-3 weeks behind as well.

I finally received the upper hand guard for the AK yesterday and sanded everything down and stained it last night. I have to do a Tung Oil rub on it to finish it, but will post pics when complete. Never used the tung oil before, but read is was a very low/no sheen finish. I want it to look like ruff and tuff gun, not a "pretty" refinished gun. On a side note, if anyone has an AK and they have steel magazines they want to trade for poly mags, let me know. I have 10 polys (9-30rd and 1-20rd) which work and looked good with the plastic furniture, but look out of place on a wood furnitured AK.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Just my .02 but I had problems with the steel mags pitting (relative humidity) up pretty bad after a few years. The poly mags might not 'look right' but they sure do perform right! They AK is all about function over fashion any-who... I did check out the zombie defense site and I have to say they're pretty cool. Just wish I had the funds! I just made a major investment in fossil fuels courtesy of "Zales". :laugh: so my funds are back to zero again.

Finally arrived today!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Also been on a spree lately.

After the AK, my friend sold me a Norinco SKS. Wouldnt normally be interested in another SKS, but this one was 1 of 8 his dad bought years ago. Still UNFIRED. Perfect stock, blueing is 100%, not a scratch on it. I ended up with another SKS, MC-5D which takes the AK magazines and last night I bought a Draco-C AK pistol. The 7.62 kit for the AR has been temp put on hold. I also ended up with a virgin Spikes tactical Zombie lower. Thinking of an AR pistol and rifle, both in 7.62. And lastly, i bought 40 rounds of tracer 7.62x39 yesterday from a customer walk-in.

Been at the store a couple weeks now and have yet to make a penny, or break even for that matter. But it sure has been fun.

yeah...I started to think a rainbow colored AR lower might not be what i wanted after all. I did play around with the Spikes Tactical lower today. Not finished yet, but you get the idea. I decided to use desert tan, od green and red. I will probably use desert tan and od green furntiure on the gun.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Well, let's see ... recap of the last <gasp> half year since I've posted in here, LOL. Cabinets have been well stocked should I be able to bug-in. Scoped out the cell tower that is near my apartment has a natural gas back-up to supply three months electricity to the tower (and anybody who might need to tap it. ;) ). Another alternative back-up for electricity ... cheesy video, but it works: FREE Hidden Electricity! - YouTube . I've repacked my pack several times, replaced items with lighter or more multifunctional items. Studied more routes and locations in my area. And made sure to have a good amount of vaping supplies in a ready bag. I'm sure there's more, but yeah ... not going to be too wordy. :)

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Well... I've moved farther away from civilization. You know how everyone hates to pack up everything? It's because after you pack it up, you have to unpack it later! Everything's moved now even if I don't know where it is anymore. On an unrelated note:

A friend at work is now co-owner of Seattle Geeky Girls » Showing the World Seattle's Geeky Side which will be expanding to other cities with a geeky girl concentration. He's a good guy and he's looking for more models and contributors. Check 'em out and expect more content soon. He's also an event coordinator for more than a few sci-fi/horror/geekyness conventions in the PNW. I don't get paid for referrals or anything but I told him I'd at least mention his new site and that it would be moving to a better location soon. I'll update once he has it up and running.

p.s. Mowing grass that hasn't been cut in 2-3 weeks.... sucks :D

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Don't worry - there will be a lot of AR gear laying around the first few days into WROL. ;-)

-Magnus

Yep, all you need is a rock and a really good hiding place... maybe some patience too. :) after that you can work your way up to something with some distance. I learned that from the man with no name, he had a knife though a rock can be found anywhere.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Today I opened up my Season 2 of The Walking Dead flip top zombie head edition! As an unexpected bonus, the screwdriver isn't just a handle, it unlocks it! There's a little locking tab that unlocks when you shove the screwdriver, all-the-way-into the eye socket. Is it a sick and twisted pleasure to do so? Maybe. But I still smiled and giggled a little when I slid it in... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread