What does "punching" a cartomizer mean?

Discussion in 'Cartomizers' started by bruzab, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bruzab

bruzab Full Member

So I got some 510 XXL BOGE Cartomizers in the mail at long last..

These things kinda deceived me. I popped it open and its a wee cotton-looking tube on the inside with a black hook in it.

Directions said to just put e-liquid straight on to it. I loaded up my syringe with my favorite "Dragon's Fire" e-lquid and filled her up til she was saturated.

Let it sit for about 3-4 minutes and then put it on my EGO-T battery.

Pressed the button. Very little smoke. Gross carbon burn-off taste. So I started reading around on the forums and it seems like people do something called 'punching'.

Now these BOGE cartomizers haven't groped my lady nor have they insulted my grandma so I'm not gonna ball up my fist and punch the li'l guys ;).. so the only thing I can guess is that it means to actually punch a hole in one.

Can someone give me some guidance?

2. Neofolis

Neofolis Full Member Verified Member

Punching is putting holes or slots in the side of the carto, so it can be fed juice from a carto tank. They can be purchased pre-punched, but most people either by a carto punch or similar to punch their carto or use something like a dremmel to cut slots into the side.

3. bacc.vap

bacc.vap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yes, it means to punch a hole, or more than one, in the steel body of the carto when using them in a tank. The juice can then flow into the carto from the tank.

4. NancyR

NancyR Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

as far as your lack of vapor (not smoke) what ohm carto did you get, and what was the pg/vg ratio of the juice? and have you been drinking enough water as that will also effect your vape

5. bruzab

bruzab Full Member

6. MoonLit_Water

MoonLit_Water We All Shine On Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    After filling which it sounds like You did correctly, You may want to wait a little longer just to let it all soak in a little better

7. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Punching only if you have a carto tank:
    View attachment 193502

The first fill of a carto is VERY important- has to be fully saturated from top to bottom. The Boge XXL holds 1.4 ml liquid. 20 drops= approx 1 ml juice so at least 27 drops must go in.

8. bruzab

bruzab Full Member

And why did this site automatically glom on to my real name? I'd really prefer to be known as my online alias... /sigh.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I really appreciate it! This community is fantastic.

9. Hiding

Hiding Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

10. Vapoor eyes er

11. bruzab

bruzab Full Member

12. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

13. tnt56

tnt56 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Whenever I fill a new carto I always use the thermometer shake method or the "tarin spin" (not sure of spelling). The thermometer shake is like shaking an old thermometer before you use it. Great workout for your arms, if you fill enough of em. And when done right a carto does give a wonderfull vape. IMHO.

14. randomname79

randomname79 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

was going to say the exact same thing, got some dual coil 1.6ohm mega cartomizers for my ego t and i hated them. i have to use around 2.2 to 2.4 on it for it to taste decent to me.

15. Tmax

Tmax Moved On Verified Member

Zac Hi

I posted a reply earlier to another thread:

Here are a couple of vids from PBusardo

This first one he explains some of the pitfalls with cartos and tanks - fast forward past the hole punching stuff - but look at the second half.
    A PBusardo Review & Tutorial - QT-1 (not really a) carto punch and Working with carto tanks - YouTube

This next one is a review of a couple of new locking ring type tanks - that stop the tanks slipping up, and the AGR with a top fill - both tanks inexpensive.
    A PBusardo Review - The UDCT & AGR Locking Carto Tanks And PIPE CONTEST WINNER - YouTube

I got both these tanks and with the advise from the first vid I'm having LESS trouble with my cartos.

Hope this helps

16. Vapoor eyes er

Congrats and well done. I don't but some also use the syringe fill:

17. Archmachine

Archmachine Full Member Verified Member

a drimmel works like magic!

18. DWontheGO

DWontheGO Registered Supplier

Can you tell me a little more about what you experienced between ohm's? I went straight to lower ohm's thinking, more heat, more hit, more more more..... As I get a little more educated, I'm wondering about that decision. What exactly did you "hate" about lower ohm's and did they really effect flavor????? and dual coil vs single coil....

As I vape more and get further from the real cigs (analogs), FLAVOR IS SO IMPORTANT!!

I'm using ego900 battery, V3 w/1.8ohm coil, VVV Premium 3ml tank w/Boge 510 carto (self-punched), Ego Tank System w/ dual coil carto (I think Smoketech) 1.5ohm and Ego Mega Dual Coil Carto....I think that's it, trying to find my way-trying Everything!:oops:

Thanks-deb

19. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I'll give you my experience, your results may vary, however, as with most things in vaping everyone has their own preferences.

I found dual coil cartomizers to often give a burnt taste or flavor. I theorize that regardless of how well you pre-fill a cartomizer in a cartotank, the act of vaping pulls the juice from the upper portions of the filler down to the lower part where the heating coil is generally located. Once you have been vaping a couple of minutes, if you look at the filler in the top of the cartomizer, it will look dry like you hadn't even filled it - this is normal and is the way a carto works. There is still liquid in the lower part of the carto.

In a dual coil cart, the second heating coil will be located in the middle portion of the cartomizer. It's very possible that after some time vaping, that upper coil may not have much e-liquid around it and cause the filler to burn. Once filler is burnt, you'll never get that taste out of it and you can consider it trashed.

I've made a cutaway diagram of a cartomizer to demonstrate this flow of liquid in a cartomizer below (click the image to enlarge it):

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

Since I've switched to single coil cartomizers I've not had any burnt taste in my cartotanks.
    _______

Some vapors prefer a warmer vape, some prefer a cooler vape. I happen to prefer a cooler vape with plenty of flavor. Too warm of a vape can cause some flavors to become burnt tasting, muted, or non-existant. Using the proper ohm cartomizer can help you find your "sweet spot" by changing the voltage or wattage you use with each flavor of e-liquid.

For instance, I use a 2.5 - 3.0 ohm single coil cartomizer in my cartotanks. This gives me the full range of voltage to use from 3.4 to 5.0 volts. For fruit flavors I like a voltage around 3.5 volts. For my coffee flavors I like 4.4 volts. For cinnamon I like 4.8 volts.

Guide to Safe Vaping - E-Cigarette Safety | Ecig Advanced Community Blog

20. randomname79

randomname79 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Exactly what batitude said lol. I will add that the heat and harshness made it so I couldn't even inhale them. I smoked super super light analogs though. I couldn't smoke regular strength analogs either. Even with the carto's full to the point of leakage I couldnt stand them. Being new at first I thought it was the ego batt as I got everything together but when i put one of my 808 cartomizers on it after I picked up an adapter the ego's were a pure joy. I just picked up my shiny new vamo and some vivi nova's today so we'll see how that goes.

: vamo, vapor pro
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.