Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Has a FB page. Not a member, so can't get anything but the front page, which is inconclusive.

https: //www .facebook.com/noel.crowleybell

Link broken, take out the spaces. :) Don't care to spread propaganda :w00t:
Her page is private, & there are very few posts. She doesn't have many friends.
She's not showing on Twitter. Looks like the extent of her soicial network is that paperwhere, apparently, she's never been challenged before.
Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Looks like the extent of her soicial network is that paperwhere, apparently, she's never been challenged before.
She's about to be! He, he, he, he, he. :sneaky: :D
I couldn't resist. I had to at least "look" at her FB page , what I could see of it anyway. Thanks for digging a little deeper, Kenna. ;) :thumb:

Vapers Unite!
:cool: Von vape :cool:

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Article submitted. I did replace "body odor and bad breath" with "deep fried and flame grilled everything". ;)

In researching this issue, a couple of other issues reared their ugly heads.
First and foremost is the "Pay to Play" aspect of the issue. Ya, just like in national politics, it works the same here in the Mat-Su Valley! Last year's Alaska State Fair "Smoke Free Day" was made possible by a grant from The Mat-Su Health Foundation. This grant was $10,000 and came with the "suggestion" that the ASF have a smoke free day. In light of the national "Pay to PLay" issues, I decided to dig a little deeper. What I found wasn't a surprise but the amounts were fairly shocking. Going back to 2011 MSHF granted ASF $100,000 (Sewer upgrades) 2012 $65,000 (Plastinated Bodies Display [$238,000] cost offset. Display arranged through MSHF.) 2014 two $15,000 grants (One for a "hand washing demonstration" trailer for "the children" coming out of the petting zoo. The other for initial construction of a performance stage and dressing rooms) 2015 The $10,000 grant noted earlier on the contingency that the ASF have a smoke free day. A total of $205,000 in the last five years (four if you don't count a "dry" 2013) Is it really nutty of me to assume that there is financial coercion here??? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so. This is the type of thing everyone should be on the look out for locally because this is the way the world works now and has for quite some time. Organizations pump A LOT of money into a business and then say, "Hey, we've given you all this money, how about you do a little something for us?" LIS, it's nothing new and I'm sure most of you are aware of it. It can be very difficult to track down though so some effort is needed. I'm merely providing a reminder to stay vigilant on all fronts. Even the most innocuous things sometimes lead to a smoke and aerosol free State Fair. It just kills me that they chose to use the word "aerosol" rather than the word vapor. Vapor just wasn't scary enough I guess.... :facepalm:
The second thing I learned just last night is that the ASF is the FIRST in the entire country to go "smoke & vapor free" for it's entire duration. I strongly suspect (here I go with my conspiracy theories again) the local orgs are "testing the waters" and will undoubtedly be sharing the results with the lower 48. Regardless of the outcome, you and I both know it will be declared wildly successful. So heads up people!!! You heard it here first. YOUR State Fair could very well be next!!! :-x :-x :-x

As a result of this information, I wrote an additional article and called to ask if the paper would run both. I was advised that the next edition will not come out until well after the fair was over and by then it will be a non issue. The editor recommended I wait until the quarterly report for this years fair and grant money comes out and then run this article in the July edition next year, BEFORE the fair gets under way. It may indeed be more effective to do that. I will also be tracking this years gate receipts (The ASF is actually a Private Not For Profit not a State thing at all) Police interaction and crime rate/DUIs associated with the fair to see how they compare with previous years.
Stay vigilant on ALL fronts, EVERYONE!!!

Vapers Unite!
:cool: Von vape :cool:

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Update 9/8/16............

It won't be long and the next issue of The People's Paper will be in the racks. In the meantime I've been writing my State Representative and Senators with little if any success. Still, I'd like to share the "form letter" I created to repeatedly send to THEM.

I am writing to request your personal position in regard to vapor products and vaping. Please do not refer me to HR 2058 or the Cole Bishop amendment. I have a very clear understanding of both. Also, please do not subvert this request by stating that no such legislation has reached your jurisdiction. My direct and sincere concern is your personal position on this issue. Your response, or lack of, will directly affect my vote and my efforts to lobby for or against your election or re-election.

Respectfully,
*********** – Registered Voter - Vaper

I will continue to send them this once a week until I get a response. I don't know how the contact works in every state but here, there is a drop down box for "topic" and I have been choosing "Health" or "Health Care" because I personally believe this is very much a health care issue. "Small Business" is another of my choices and I will also try that approach. When I account for all of the people running for office this time around, I'll also be sending this letter to them. I sincerely hope all of you will join me in this effort by contacting your current and future representatives similarly. After all, this is an election year We ALL have a voice and it is the government's job to do the will of the people, not the people's responsibility to bend to the will of government. VOTE!!!

Vapers Unite!
:cool: Von Vape :cool:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Update 9/8/16............

It won't be long and the next issue of The People's Paper will be in the racks. In the meantime I've been writing my State Representative and Senators with little if any success. Still, I'd like to share the "form letter" I created to repeatedly send to THEM.

I am writing to request your personal position in regard to vapor products and vaping. Please do not refer me to HR 2058 or the Cole Bishop amendment. I have a very clear understanding of both. Also, please do not subvert this request by stating that no such legislation has reached your jurisdiction. My direct and sincere concern is your personal position on this issue. Your response, or lack of, will directly affect my vote and my efforts to lobby for or against your election or re-election.

Respectfully,
*********** – Registered Voter - Vaper

I will continue to send them this once a week until I get a response. I don't know how the contact works in every state but here, there is a drop down box for "topic" and I have been choosing "Health" or "Health Care" because I personally believe this is very much a health care issue. "Small Business" is another of my choices and I will also try that approach. When I account for all of the people running for office this time around, I'll also be sending this letter to them. I sincerely hope all of you will join me in this effort by contacting your current and future representatives similarly. After all, this is an election year We ALL have a voice and it is the government's job to do the will of the people, not the people's responsibility to bend to the will of government. VOTE!!!

Vapers Unite!
Great letter!

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Update 9-19-16
The mid August edition of the People's Paper is now available on line.
The People's Paper September 2016
My article, "Refuting the Irrefutable" appears on the bottom of page 6 (?) and is continued at the bottom of page 9. (I ran a little long :blush:) It seems that over the years, bureaucrats have learned that if they craft a document or regulation long enough, people will lose interest after only a few pages and say, "Meh, whatever. This doesn't affect or concern me anyway." As a result, the response ends up equally inconvenient and garners the same disinterest.

That being said, there has also been NO counter to any of my previous articles and the ANT orgs have shifted their interest back to anti tobacco - anti smoking ads. I'd like to think that I have been enough of a burr under their saddle that I have influenced this shift. That doesn't mean I will quit advocating positively FOR vaping.

In regard to my "Form Letters", Sen. Lisa Murkowski responded with the same "form letter" I specifically asked her NOT to refer me to and Congressman Don Young did nearly the same, with the additional comment, "I am a proud SUPPORTER of HB 2058." and the usual, "Thank you for your interest......." I will be thanking Congressman Young for his support and advising Sen. Murkowski that I have OTHER OPTIONS since she does not seem to comprehend simple, direct questions. Sadly, I have not received a response from her opponent and will be sending him a second request for his personal position on this issue.

I hope everyone will continue to fight the good fight. DON'T LET UP! I realize that there are bigger fish to fry at this moment in time, with the election, terrorism and homeland security on everybody's mind. I also don't believe that the deeming regulations coming out when they did is a coincidence. Don't let time, other issues and apathy sweep vaping under the rug. MAKE SOME NOISE - NEVER SURRENDER!!!

Vapers Unite!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
That being said, there has also been NO counter to any of my previous articles and the ANT orgs have shifted their interest back to anti tobacco - anti smoking ads. I'd like to think that I have been enough of a burr under their saddle that I have influenced this shift. That doesn't mean I will quit advocating positively FOR vaping.
that's wonderful!! I still can't seem to read it. I think it has to do with having a blocker of some adobe things. I get a gray puzzle piece, and have to right click it and say run this plug in. Usually that works, but on this it seems to go super tiny and then disappears. it gives me options to click on different issues, but then the same thing happens when I click on them. But so proud of you for continuing with this!! :wub:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Update 9-19-16
The mid August edition of the People's Paper is now available on line.
The People's Paper September 2016
My article, "Refuting the Irrefutable" appears on the bottom of page 6 (?) and is continued at the bottom of page 9. (I ran a little long :blush:) It seems that over the years, bureaucrats have learned that if they craft a document or regulation long enough, people will lose interest after only a few pages and say, "Meh, whatever. This doesn't affect or concern me anyway." As a result, the response ends up equally inconvenient and garners the same disinterest.

In regard to my "Form Letters", Sen. Lisa Murkowski responded with the same "form letter" I specifically asked her NOT to refer me to and Congressman Don Young did nearly the same, with the additional comment, "I am a proud SUPPORTER of HB 2058." and the usual, "Thank you for your interest......." I will be thanking Congressman Young for his support and advising Sen. Murkowski that I have OTHER OPTIONS since she does not seem to comprehend simple, direct questions. Sadly, I have not received a response from her opponent and will be sending him a second request for his personal position on this issue.

I hope everyone will continue to fight the good fight. DON'T LET UP! I realize that there are bigger fish to fry at this moment in time, with the election, terrorism and homeland security on everybody's mind. I also don't believe that the deeming regulations coming out when they did is a coincidence. Don't let time, other issues and apathy sweep vaping under the rug. MAKE SOME NOISE - NEVER SURRENDER!!!

Vapers Unite!
Another excellent article, VV! Very eloquent h professional, & all true!

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
9-26-16

I have a question for everyone. Should I be calling out - bringing attention to, the local vape shop calling themselves "The Valley's E-CIG super store" (past two issue ads)? As many of you know, I have an aversion to the term "e-cig" because part of "our problem" is perception. While it is unfortunate that this "handle" is the traditional and original nomenclature for what we all suck on, it does little if anything in regard to a more positive image for the vaping community and industry. My personal feeling is that "E-CIG Superstore" only furthers the opposition's animosity toward our ultimate goal of general acceptance. I feel that "Vapor Products", "Personal Vaporizer" or "Mod Superstore" would be more appropriate. The down side to pointing this out publicly would be the appearance of in fighting and divisiveness amongst our own. I also know that this may seem to some like a move on my part to be more "PC". That is NOT the case. I simply realize that the "sheeple" have moved away from being swayed by facts and figures because they are "too busy" to do the research, wrapped up in their own lives, and now base their acceptance or resistance to everything on perception and feelings.

I received a Change.Org notice from Lessifer (Les Leung) today that highlights the FDA's recognition of this fact and is the reason we haven't heard much about the deeming in the national media. The full article, run in Scientific American - Oct. 2016 issue, can be seen here;
How the FDA Manipulates the Media
It will be the basis for this month's submission along with my observation that "Silence Speaks Volumes". Have you noticed that the ANTZ (of ALL forms) spew all kinds of rhetoric meant to tug at heart strings, appeal to opinion, perception and feelings and then when they are confronted with truly irrefutable facts and statistics, they go silent? Why? Because they have adopted a "We don't like (X) period." approach. No "discussion", no "debate" just, "If you don't agree, this conversation is over!", leaving the opposition standing there talking to a wall. I have to admit, it is more difficult to initiate an attack on air than it is to respond to lies and propaganda but I WILL NOT go away. As a private citizen, I have every right to keep the benefits and positive results of vaping in the public eye, even if it is only once a month. The general public deserves to be educated and informed. It's the tens of thousands of lives that can be prolonged that matter most to me and the reason I will NOT surrender. I would hope the rest of you won't either. By continuing to make some noise, my hope is that it WILL flip the switch the other way and get even the people who don't think this issue affects them to star THINKING for themselves again.
MAKE SOME NOISE! FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!

Vapers Unite!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
9-26-16

I have a question for everyone. Should I be calling out - bringing attention to, the local vape shop calling themselves "The Valley's E-CIG super store" (past two issue ads)? As many of you know, I have an aversion to the term "e-cig" because part of "our problem" is perception. While it is unfortunate that this "handle" is the traditional and original nomenclature for what we all suck on, it does little if anything in regard to a more positive image for the vaping community and industry. My personal feeling is that "E-CIG Superstore" only furthers the opposition's animosity toward our ultimate goal of general acceptance. I feel that "Vapor Products", "Personal Vaporizer" or "Mod Superstore" would be more appropriate. The down side to pointing this out publicly would be the appearance of in fighting and divisiveness amongst our own. I also know that this may seem to some like a move on my part to be more "PC". That is NOT the case. I simply realize that the "sheeple" have moved away from being swayed by facts and figures because they are "too busy" to do the research, wrapped up in their own lives, and now base their acceptance or resistance to everything on perception and feelings.

I received a Change.Org notice from Lessifer (Les Leung) today that highlights the FDA's recognition of this fact and is the reason we haven't heard much about the deeming in the national media. The full article, run in Scientific American - Oct. 2016 issue, can be seen here;
How the FDA Manipulates the Media
It will be the basis for this month's submission along with my observation that "Silence Speaks Volumes". Have you noticed that the ANTZ (of ALL forms) spew all kinds of rhetoric meant to tug at heart strings, appeal to opinion, perception and feelings and then when they are confronted with truly irrefutable facts and statistics, they go silent? Why? Because they have adopted a "We don't like (X) period." approach. No "discussion", no "debate" just, "If you don't agree, this conversation is over!", leaving the opposition standing there talking to a wall. I have to admit, it is more difficult to initiate an attack on air than it is to respond to lies and propaganda but I WILL NOT go away. As a private citizen, I have every right to keep the benefits and positive results of vaping in the public eye, even if it is only once a month. The general public deserves to be educated and informed. It's the tens of thousands of lives that can be prolonged that matter most to me and the reason I will NOT surrender. I would hope the rest of you won't either. By continuing to make some noise, my hope is that it WILL flip the switch the other way and get even the people who don't think this issue affects them to star THINKING for themselves again.
MAKE SOME NOISE! FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!

Vapers Unite!
I don't think it matters as long as there is no reference to smoking. Everyone knows what an e-cig is, fewer recognize pv. So from a marketable standpoint you have to use a known reference. I think education in refuting the lies as they occur is the way to go. You do such a fantastic job of sounding professional, & well educated on your subject that it makes her sound like a hysterical, flappy handed hen. (I don't feel like I was as mean as I wanted to be right there.) Keep it up!

Last edited:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I totally agree with Kenna and David. When I talk to someone I say it's a vaporizer, and they look at me like.......what the hell is that. then I say......like an Ecig, and they know what I'm talking about. I then go on to tell them that I dislike the term ecig, because it's nothing like smoking health wise, it only resembles smoking. Well, drowning can sometimes resemble swimming, but one will kill ya, the other won't.

I would talk to the shop owner and feel them out about it. I did that with a vendor that was on ECF a long time ago........they actually talked on their website about produces a lot of "smoke" or things like that. Don't remember now exactly what their wording was, but there were a number of references to smoke or cigs. I told them how harmful to our cause I thought that was. They wrote back and said they hadn't thought about that but would now. But then they just disappeared. Can't even remember the name of the place now. Was a number of years ago.

I would also simply mention in your article at some point how the term Ecig, although a common and well known reference is definitely misleading, because it's not a cig at all.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
I would try talking to the store about a gradual shift in the advertising to remove the cig and smoke words from their marketing. Calling it a vaping superstore might be the end goal, but until vaping becomes a more common word in describing the product and activity, they may need to keep that e-cig word in their advertising so that the newbies can find them.

I'm trying to get myself to change the words I use, but it is so easy to slip up, and sometimes the old words are the only ones the person I'm speaking to knows. I use both words to help get the vaping words out there so they can be the mainstream words in the future.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
The word Vaping has become more mainstream. People, that I had know clue of even knowing about ecigs, actually use the word 'vapers'. I do think that Vaping instead of Ecigs would carry over well. :)
me too. Vaping is well known. Personal vaporizer not as much.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you ALL for your input. Best darned human beings on the planet right here, that's for sure! Honestly, thank you ALL!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Until I get a chance to talk with the store owner privately, I'll avoid poking that bear. ;) I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sees a big part of "our problem" as a perception issue. For quite awhile I thought I was just being hypersensitive. :blush: As DavidOck said, there's no putting that genie back in the bottle but I do feel subtle shifts in perception would help "our cause".

Speaking of perceptions, another black man was shot in San Diego County (El Cajon to be precise) by police today after pointing his PV at them like a gun. The media is simply saying "an object" but as soon as we saw the photo of his box mod laying on the ground and the photo of him pointing it at police like a pistol, we both said, "Oh my god! That's a box mod!" I can only imagine how the media is going to spin this. :shock:

Okay, back on topic. Here's the first draft of the upcoming article. Please chime in on ideas and suggestions. There is no room to add anything but there are some editing options. Overall I'm reasonably happy with it but feel there is always room for improvement in all things. ;) There are only a couple of days before the submission deadline so get your suggestions in ASAP. :) Thanks again, everyone!

Silence Speaks Volumes

I first started refuting the anti vaping ads and articles in this paper in the July issue. Since then I have exposed the lies, presented facts supporting the truth and refuted the irrefutable. Not surprisingly, there has been no response to my articles and the anti smoking organizations have reverted to anti smoking ads. Opinion and pseudo science are no match for the facts and the truth and I suppose I should consider this at least a small victory for pro vaping advocacy.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. This is another tactic that opinion based, pseudo science movements have started using over the past several years. It works like this: We’ll spread our opinions and lies until someone challenges them and once they are exposed, we’ll just go silent and end the discussion. With nothing to challenge, the opposition will tire and go away. The truth and the facts won’t get out and we’ll continue on our merry way, quietly and behind the scenes.

Well, I’m not going away. The FDA’s “Deeming Regulations” are marching forward unchecked and even many vapers don’t understand the full implications of these regulations. Most think that it just relates to child safety caps on the e-liquid bottles and device safety. Nothing could be further from the truth. This nearly 500 page document of regulations (another tactic – make it so long and involved that even the people it directly affects get frustrated with the minutia and give up) covers every constituent of vaping devices from cotton to wire to batteries to chip sets to the e-liquid, with or without nicotine, subjecting every device not available on or before 2007 to pre market testing at a cost of an estimated $100,000 per SKU. That’s every device and every flavor of e-liquid and it’s not just a onetime fee for a single flavor, it’s every nicotine level within that flavor. Say you make a single flavor of e-liquid and you provide that flavor in zero, 3 mg./ml., 6 mg./ml. and 9mg./ml. nicotine levels. The cost of the pre market testing for this single flavor would be $400,000 and it does not guarantee that your single flavor will be approved for sale. Furthermore, the retail stores are restricted by law not to teach battery safety, modify any device (which includes building or installing coils or wicks for their customers) or to provide free tastings. The industry as a whole is restricted by law from stating that vaping is at least 95% safer than smoking tobacco or that modern vapor product have any tobacco harm reduction value even though that is the fact on both counts. Since 2007, the vapor industry has self regulated and done very well at eliminating the very compounds in e-liquid that the FDA is forcing the industry to go back to because that is the most recent research they have based their regulations on. One has to ask themselves, whether they feel this issue affects them or not, if this is honestly in the public’s health interest.

Here’s why you don’t know what you don’t know. In this month’s (Oct.) issue of Scientific American, find the full article titled “How the FDA Manipulates the Media”. It explains that the FDA has a “tool” that they use to suppress information. It’s called a Close-Hold Embargo. A basic overview of how this embargo works is this; A scientific finding, in this case the FDA’s “Deeming Regulations”, is posted to select “trusted” reporters and media outlets with the stipulation that the information cannot be published before a stated time and date AND there can be NO outreach to other sources than those approved by the organization making the release. This essentially eliminates independent reporting. Full details can be seen here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-fda-manipulates-the-media/#

Last month I concluded my article with, “Your deep fried or flame broiled delicacy may be next.” To some that may have sounded like hyperbole but on 9/26/16 the news media released the story that the Oklahoma Cattle Farmers Association is under fire from the SPCA and the SPCA is trying to force Federal Regulations on that industry, making it almost impossible to raise cattle for your dinner plate.

I realize we all have very busy live. At the same time, if we all plod along as sheeple, special interests will rule us all. Your silence speaks volumes too and “they” are LOVING IT!

Vapers Unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread