What's Wrong With This Ad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
About a week ago, I was "spreading the word" about A Billion Lives and it was suggested I write an article for the "free press", local news paper, so I picked up a copy of "The Peoples Paper" (The actual name of the paper!) And the first thing I saw was this ad, top right corner, FRONT PAGE!
Anti Vaping Propoganda.jpg

Following is the response I 'll be sending "The People's Paper". Before I do, (I have until the 10th. of next month to submit an article, limited to 700 words. This is 510. Hmmm, coincidence??? You know. "510 threads", oh well, whatever, anyway...) I was hoping to get some responses , suggestions and insight from the ECF membership. So, read on and LMK.

It is misleading and uses “scare tactics” to serve the poster’s agenda.

First, the “WARNING” label is only a “recommendation” by The Flavor Extract Manufacturer’s Association, an extension of the FDA, who recently declared war on vaping and vapor products to protect the donations & tax dollars from Big Pharmaceutical & Big Tobacco.

Second, the “WARNING” “recommendation” only applies to manufacturers, since the concentration of chemical compounds is hundreds to thousands of times higher in the production process. F.E.M.A. (yes, the same acronym as that “other” Government agency that also can’t seem to do anything right) is also the agency who “missed” the hazards of diacetyl until the microwave popcorn industry was sued for millions of dollars for using it in their butter flavoring. A chemical that vapers don’t want and have self regulated out of e-liquids.

The flavorings used in e-liquids ONLY come from the same FOOD & DRINK flavor manufacturers that provide ALL of the flavorings and extracts we ALL consume EVERY DAY.

Third, the “Haz-Mat” suit is a requirement in any sterile environment and is meant as much to protect the FOOD & BEVERAGE product from contamination as anything and I for one, am thankful for the consideration. It also brings into question what exactly is the technician mixing, since there is a “Radioactive Materials” placard conspicuously placed, just out of focus, in the background. It scares the hell out of me but I doubt that radioactive material is used in the production of FOOD & BEVERAGE Flavorings. (Subliminal messages are illegal in advertising, BTW)

Forth, it was a “darling” touch to label the e-liquid bottle with, “Bubble Gum” “E-Liquid” and give it a “pretty” pink and baby blue color. The obvious implication being that the vapor industry is geared toward “The Children”. As an adult male well over 55, I can tell you unequivocally that I still enjoy Bubble Gum, Gummy Bears, Pie, Ice Cream, Cotton Candy, Skittles and a host of other “Junk Food”. As a “vaper” I can also tell you that these flavorings have helped curb my junk food consumption, helping me to shed a few extra unwanted pounds. In addition, there are laws already in place to prevent “The Children” from purchasing vapor products, the same as tobacco, No One Under 21.

This isn’t about “Public Health” or “Protecting the Children”. It’s about MONEY and the BILLIONS of dollars “they” are “loosing” thanks to vaping. The only Smoking Cession product that actually works and has been proven by the Royal College of Physicians (Great Britain) to be AT LEAST 95% and likely as much as 99% SAFER than smoking.

All I’m asking is that you don’t let them scare you into believing things that are at the very least, “misrepresentations”. Hopefully it’s not too much to ask for you to have an open mind, do your own research and THINK FOR YOURSELF.

What’s at stake? #A Billion Lives! That’s how many lives are estimated to be lost to smoking related deaths this century.

Vaping is NOT smoking.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance for your insightful advice. Please keep in mind that any response must be respectful and FACTUAL with verifiable documentation to back it up, if necessary. Credibility and a reasonable amount of courtesy are the only way we are going to win each little battle. TRUTH is our weapon. ;)

Vape On!
:cool: Von Vape :cool:

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
@crxess I see your tag line "Grumpy Old Man" is well suited to you.

Yes, same topic and yes, same flippant response from you but NO, not "close" at all.
The point of this post is to refine my response to the ad.
If you're just going to troll something I'm trying to do for the cause, I'd prefer you refrain.

Respectfully,
:cool: Von Vape :cool:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
CDC - Flavorings-Related Lung Disease: Exposures to Flavoring Chemicals - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic
Exposures to Flavoring Chemicals

Diacetyl
2,3-Pentanedione

So, as we see from publication of a governmental agency it's all about diacetyl and its substitute. Nothing new.
Another gov. publication explains in details diacetyl and its substitutes, but also gives a table with a lot of "potentially hasardos" for inhalation flavoring substances, among which I have recognized only glycerin(!) I see this table as a superprecausion of OSHA.
Safety and Health Information Bulletins | Occupational Exposure to Flavoring Substances: Health Effects and Hazard Control

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you @Alien Traveler. Those are the types of documentation I'm looking for. I did research F.E.M.A. (still can't believe they use the same acronym!) and none of their documentation shows a requirement for warning placards. Perhaps a link to those articles would drive home the point that that the "Heated Flavorings Warnings" apply to the ENTIRE FOOD & BEVERAGE Flavoring industry, not to your morning Danish. ;) I always nuke mine, doesn't everybody? :D :D

Thanks Again!
V V

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Awesome! Thanks for catching the spelling "airors" ! :lol: Every detail is important. ;) Wouldn't want to come off like an unedjamacated hick. ;) :D

Retired1, CDC - Flavorings-Related Lung Disease: Exposures to Flavoring Chemicals - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic this article does indicate that personal protective gear is required in the manufacturing process of food & beverage flavorings. Commercial e-juice manufacturers also use P.P.G. as much to protect the product from contamination as they do themselves from the tremendously higher concentrations of volatile chemicals. I know it's different for us DIYers and the "Cottage Juice Shops" though. Your input is appreciated. :thumb: :thumb: Thank you.

V V

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Ya, us "small timers" don't come anywhere close to what "real" manufacturers are exposed to. The kicker is that they are FOOD & Beverage Flavor manufacturers and the anti vaping crowd, along with the "non profits" that posted the add ALL consume those SAME Food & Beverage Flavorings EVERY DAY, in both heated and unheated forms. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Good on ya for digging a little deeper too!!! :thumbs: Accurate, documented TRUTH is all we have going for us in this fight and the same ol' cliché responses will only punch holes in our life raft. ;) "They" have told the lies so many times that they are starting to sound credible, after all, they are the government and doctors, they should know "the facts", right? Well, again, digging a little deeper, you'll find that they could give a rat's :censored: less as long as their Mercedes is topped off with premium and the lake house is fully stocked with wine, steak & lobster. ;) Our only hope is to discredit EVERY ad, billboard & commercial we see, ANYWHERE with THE TRUE FACTS, intelligently & respectfully stated and maybe, just maybe, we can turn the flock around or at least cut some from the heard. :)

V V

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I do like them limiting the equipment photo to only cig-a-likes and a little eGo pen. At least they didn't throw up some big mod with a giant tank on it. They really are pulling at straws when the only health hazard they can push is flavoring. And that lab worker photo is certainly taken out of context. I mean, there's P.P.E., and then there's hazmat. Talk about drama.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I do like them limiting the equipment photo to only cig-a-likes and a little eGo pen. At least they didn't throw up some big mod with a giant tank on it. They really are pulling at straws when the only health hazard they can push is flavoring. And that lab worker photo is certainly taken out of context. I mean, there's P.P.E., and then there's hazmat. Talk about drama.

Whenever they do things like this though - eGo batteries, cigalikes and all that - it only proves to me that they truly do not comprehend anything about vaping. Credibility fail right there.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Whenever they do things like this though - eGo batteries, cigalikes and all that - it only proves to me that they truly do not comprehend anything about vaping. Credibility fail right there.

They don't need credibility. All they need to do is spread FUD from an official position and let the uneducated word of mouth do the rest.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Would you change ANYTHING in my rebuttal? Add anything?

I might add a bit about the important role e-cigs play in harm reduction in comparison to cigarettes. I would flat out question how groups committed to reducing the damage to public health from cigarette use would take such a absolutist stance on a harm reduction method with higher success rates than standard nicotine replacement therapy. Playing up the positives is always better than simply reacting to perceived negatives. IMO, calling them wrong and essentially offering a rebuttal is less effective at swaying opinion. Rather, hammering home the benefits will influence opinions over time. People like positive messages. Look at what 'Make America Great Again' achieved. Here it's more "Support ways for smokers to stop". Completely open to the interpretation by the individual, but pounding away on harm reduction changes the conversation. Cigarettes are evil. Vaping reduces cigarette use. Vaping saves lives.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
They don't need credibility. All they need to do is spread FUD from an official position and let the uneducated word of mouth do the rest.

agreed
My take on the whole thing.
Stressing over One print ad, now lining Bird Cages, while thousands of others are being pressed into Print, on Media Channels, Magazines and throughout Social media having lasting far reaching effect - Takes away from a much needed focus on the problem at hand. Reducing/eliminating Regulatory control.

Broad shoulders and all that............

Just how much do we think the community unwittingly assisted these groups - monitoring our very boards?
Huge Diketone Debates
Wicking materials panics
pages upon pages of Mechanical mod issues
Nickle wire
Titanium wire

Some times we are our own worst enemy - Myself included. :ohmy:

JimDrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2015
GA
Very Well Written Von:thumbs:, an excellent response to that garbage ad.

The only suggestion I have concerns what you said about the Hazmat suit, ie. You state that the suit is worn to protect the product. While I am not real sure on this, but I believe the purpose of a Hazmat suit is to protect the worker from hazardous materials (that may be in the workarea or that needs to be cleaned up). While there is most certainly some form protective garment and respiratory protection for food workers, these forms of protection are probably referred by another name/designation.

Otherwise, Great job :thumbs:, and I hope that helps. :)

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
I would say back off conspiracy stuff altogether, it turns off the casual reader, and to be honest smacks of bias to me (some one always yelps conspiracy when facts fail) and just state facts, in this case facts are more than enough. The msds for flavors are "this" at this concentration and this heat, "this" is what we vape at no d of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread