Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi!

I quit vaping in December 2015, and began again late November 2016. Was not talk of TC when I last vaped as I can remember, and curious of when the first mod came.

Golden Greek "Proteus" serial number reservation list was begun in Sept 2013.
However, the Evolv DNA 40 (40 W), was first to market; released 2014.

Cheers
I

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Thank you! Wonder how I manged not to hear about it. :)

Because at the time TC mods were expensive. DNA 40 devices were around (from what I remember) $200. Plus TC was sort of niche market, you had to use nickel and you only had 40 watts to work with. Now we have much better wire and 250 watts to work with.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Hi!

I quit vaping in December 2015, and began again late November 2016. Was not talk of TC when I last vaped as I can remember, and curious of when the first mod came.
You still haven't missed anything. It was a completely missable event.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
You still haven't missed anything. It was a completely missable event.

Still... it's not easy to have missed TC by late last year.

Hell, I started in with the D2 and Sig75 by what had to be mid Summer '15 at the latest. TC had come down to $50 and $70 by then... woot, bargain time. :D

SS TC as standard was still a ways off though. ;)

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Using good old kanthal in my Crown RBA now. Can't say I miss TC. :)

I didn't use temp control until I got my dna 200 and some stainless wire. NI200 and ti1 imo is just too :censored: hard to work with, ss is just as easy, if not easier, as kanthal to work with. Right now I've got dual coil 26 gauge ss316l coil in my griffin using tc and the vape is great, tc usually keeps it around 50-75 watts.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
I didn't use temp control until I got my dna 200 and some stainless wire. NI200 and ti1 imo is just too :censored: hard to work with, ss is just as easy, if not easier, as kanthal to work with. Right now I've got dual coil 26 gauge ss316l coil in my griffin using tc and the vape is great, tc usually keeps it around 50-75 watts.

SS wire is nice yes, but the resistance is too low I think. Juice is expensive. Vaping with a 1.3 Ohm coil at 13 watts now, and it's nice to see the juice last a bit. Could try 30G SS316 though, but TC coils need to be spaced I have read, so I'm afraid it wouldn't fit.

Last edited:

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
SS wire is nice yes, but the resistance is too low I think. Juice is expensive. Vaping with a 1.3 Ohm coil at 13 watts now, and it's nice to see the juice last a bit. Could try 30G SS316 though, but TC coils need to be spaced I have read, so I'm afraid it wouldn't fit.

SS greatly prefers to be spaced, even just lightly. No idea why, but it actually make simple coil life easier.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    The spaced or contact coil when it comes to TC usually boils down to the question of is the metal used in the coil able to create/generate a reliable electrically insulating oxide layer or not?

While many of the metals used in TC can be dry burned to create the required insulating oxide layer in some cases the layer will become compromised when the user is jolting the coil while wicking it and unknowingly leaving hot spots in the coil in the process.

With the added data point that spaced coils may "gunk up" slower than contact coils there are plenty of argument for using simple spaced coils in a TC application.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    With the added data point that spaced coils may "gunk up" slower than contact coils there are plenty of argument for using simple spaced coils in a TC application.

Mostly, I'm just lazy. :p

Roll, stretch, press... Bob's your uncle.

Naturally... I now own a variety of tweezers I don't particularly need, especially the ceramics. :rolleyes:

:D

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh

Resistance doesn't matter, especially in TC. I build a spaced coil and then stretch it out learned that from Pbusardo.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Resistance doesn't matter, especially in TC. I build a spaced coil and then stretch it out learned that from Pbusardo.

That may not be exactly true.

To high of a resistance and the mod may refuse to TC regulate the coil - automatically kicking the user into power mode. To low of a resistance and the TC regulation might be iffy at best.

Recall that to guesstimate the coil temperature the mod needs to read the COLD resistance of the coil and then use the TCR value of the wire used in the coil to calculate the resistance of the temperature set point.

Given the same TCR wire a coil with a 0.25ohm cold resistance will change 1/2 as much as a coil with 0.50ohm cold resistance. The higher resistance coil offers twice the granularity as the lower resistance coil.

So you see, base resistance in TC mode can matter. How much is dependent of the MOD and TCR of the wire used.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Single, spaced coils do work well for TC. Works fine with my SS Claptons too. In many ways it's an improvement over plain wattage, as the preheat can be adjusted to you don't have that few second delay in heating that much metal, and then maintaining the temp throughout the draw, so you don't get that too hot at the end of a long draw.

I think TC is whatever you want to make it be. If you prefer a smoother, stable vape throughout the draw it's a terrific solution. Other folks prefer power mode as well as building with Kanthal, and there's nothing wrong with that either. I did it for some time before moving over to all SS builds. And while you can get nice clouds, you're not going to win a cloud competition with TC, so there is that.

Reactions: nocigsnomore
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread