Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
It is an acronym for "Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealot"

These are the people who hate nicotine and tobacco so much that they refuse to acknowledge the benefits of tobacco harm reduction. They are complete tobacco and nicotine prohibitionists, not just anti-smoking. They deny and lie that low-risk forms of smokeless tobacco, such as snus, and e-cigarettes aren't up to 99% less hazardous than smoking. They insist that you haven't really quit smoking unless you have quit all forms of nicotine. They'd rather see smokers keep smoking (quit-relapse-quit-relapse) until they get brow-beaten into (hopefully) quitting rather than see them continue to use a low-risk source of nicotine. They'd ban e-cigarettes just because they LOOK like smoking. They follow the "quit or die" mantra.

Essentially, they are so zealous in their hatred of tobacco and all forms of recreational nicotine that they actually put smokers at greater health risks by denying that there are safer forms of tobacco and nicotine.

The term is also used, in general, to mean any person or group who irrationally wants to ban or dissuade smokers from switching to reduced harm alternatives such as snus and e-cigarettes.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
God, I hate people like that. Blinders, they are wearing. There's a good reason, that alcohol prohibition was repealed. It didn't work then, ........ prohibition doesn't work now, and smoking prohibition wont work in the future. When will people realize that freedom of choice is the basis for our society? But go ahead ANTZ, drink that top shelf poison to your heart's content.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
It's actually a strange phenomena in North American and much of European culture right now... Generally speaking, conservatives are the people who tend to be prohibitionists, but tobacco and nicotine restriction legislation has been almost completely driven by liberals. -- I've been thinking about that quite a lot since that NY Times article a few weeks ago.

FishmanTx

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2011
Beeville, Texas
It's actually a strange phenomena in North American and much of European culture right now... Generally speaking, conservatives are the people who tend to be prohibitionists, but tobacco and nicotine restriction legislation has been almost completely driven by liberals. -- I've been thinking about that quite a lot since that NY Times article a few weeks ago.

It's all about taxation and control. The FDA has no control and wants it bad. The "teetotaler" liberals, well, who knows. But remember that government is playing both sides of the game against the middle. They run down Big Tobacco because of the health issues, but want the taxes associated with tobacco sales. Remember, tobacco is controlled like alcohol and one can land in prison for trafficking in untaxed tobacco products. Why the heavy-handedness? Because government gains HUGE tax revenues from tobacco. E-cigarettes threaten that income and are not controlled or taxed by the feds. And they want it BAD. So now we have Big Brother trying their best to demonize e-cigs so that they can legislate against it and either get rid of them or tax the hell out them and the related products. But remember also that Big Tobacco is in Big Brother's back pocket and e-cigs are a threat to their existance. Government and Tobacco WILL protect their incomes.

Irrelevant of what you see on the surface, the tobacco iceberg runs very deep!

That's how I see it.
JMHO

Fish

Last edited:

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Generally speaking, conservatives are the people who tend to be prohibitionists, but tobacco and nicotine restriction legislation has been almost completely driven by liberals.

I've come to the conclusion that the only difference between (most) conservatives and (most) liberals is what they want to ban and where they think they have a right to control personal behavior and choices.

Personally I'm in favor of legalizing adulthood in the US. Adults get to make their own decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread