The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Who Are the ANTZ??

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by WillieB69, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. WillieB69

WillieB69 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Saint Joseph, MO
    ANTZ.....
    I've seen this term popping up quite a bit around here but have yet to see a definition for it.
    I know it refers to a particular group of people who don't like vaping but I figured it must be an acronym for something.

2. Spazmelda

Spazmelda Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I figured it was either ANti Tobacco Zealots, or Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealots.

That's just a guess though.

3. WillieB69

Aug 4, 2010
    Saint Joseph, MO
    Well that's better than any other definitions I've found!
    Which ave been none, obviously. :D

4. WomanOfHeart

WomanOfHeart Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Colorado
    If that wasn't the definition for it before, then it is now!

5. Spazmelda

Spazmelda Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The other choice for z was zombies, but I chose zealots. ;)

6. rustybikes

rustybikes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Concord, NC
    I'm not sure there's much of a difference in this context. Ha.

7. WillieB69

Aug 4, 2010
    Saint Joseph, MO
    But I actually like zombies.....

8. NorthOfAtlanta

NorthOfAtlanta Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    The second one is the one I saw, it's those people who cannot understand that nicotine is not that harmful and cannot separate smoking from vaping. They insist on throwing the two together in smoking bans and such. Idiots in other words.

9. kristin

kristin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    It is an acronym for "Anti Nicotine and Tobacco Zealot"

These are the people who hate nicotine and tobacco so much that they refuse to acknowledge the benefits of tobacco harm reduction. They are complete tobacco and nicotine prohibitionists, not just anti-smoking. They deny and lie that low-risk forms of smokeless tobacco, such as snus, and e-cigarettes aren't up to 99% less hazardous than smoking. They insist that you haven't really quit smoking unless you have quit all forms of nicotine. They'd rather see smokers keep smoking (quit-relapse-quit-relapse) until they get brow-beaten into (hopefully) quitting rather than see them continue to use a low-risk source of nicotine. They'd ban e-cigarettes just because they LOOK like smoking. They follow the "quit or die" mantra.

Essentially, they are so zealous in their hatred of tobacco and all forms of recreational nicotine that they actually put smokers at greater health risks by denying that there are safer forms of tobacco and nicotine.

The term is also used, in general, to mean any person or group who irrationally wants to ban or dissuade smokers from switching to reduced harm alternatives such as snus and e-cigarettes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. carpedebass

carpedebass Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2011
    The Alamo City
    You wouldn't if one came after you. I had one come after me once...wait...no...sorry. I was having a nightmare about one of my ex wives. :blink:

11. mgordon1100

mgordon1100 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2011
    A, A
    God, I hate people like that. Blinders, they are wearing. There's a good reason, that alcohol prohibition was repealed. It didn't work then, ........ prohibition doesn't work now, and smoking prohibition wont work in the future. When will people realize that freedom of choice is the basis for our society? But go ahead ANTZ, drink that top shelf poison to your heart's content.

12. FishmanTx

FishmanTx Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2011
    Beeville, Texas
    Turn it on them and go after caffein. That ought to shut them up....

13. six

six Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    under the blue sky
    It's actually a strange phenomena in North American and much of European culture right now... Generally speaking, conservatives are the people who tend to be prohibitionists, but tobacco and nicotine restriction legislation has been almost completely driven by liberals. -- I've been thinking about that quite a lot since that NY Times article a few weeks ago.

14. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    It certainly is something to think about.

15. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Then I guess it could stand for…

Attractive Non-Threatening Zombies

• Like Like x 1
  16. FishmanTx

Oct 24, 2011
    Beeville, Texas
    It's all about taxation and control. The FDA has no control and wants it bad. The "teetotaler" liberals, well, who knows. But remember that government is playing both sides of the game against the middle. They run down Big Tobacco because of the health issues, but want the taxes associated with tobacco sales. Remember, tobacco is controlled like alcohol and one can land in prison for trafficking in untaxed tobacco products. Why the heavy-handedness? Because government gains HUGE tax revenues from tobacco. E-cigarettes threaten that income and are not controlled or taxed by the feds. And they want it BAD. So now we have Big Brother trying their best to demonize e-cigs so that they can legislate against it and either get rid of them or tax the hell out them and the related products. But remember also that Big Tobacco is in Big Brother's back pocket and e-cigs are a threat to their existance. Government and Tobacco WILL protect their incomes.

Irrelevant of what you see on the surface, the tobacco iceberg runs very deep!

That's how I see it.
    JMHO

Fish

17. ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    ProVari Nirvana
    I've come to the conclusion that the only difference between (most) conservatives and (most) liberals is what they want to ban and where they think they have a right to control personal behavior and choices.

Personally I'm in favor of legalizing adulthood in the US. Adults get to make their own decisions.

18. FishmanTx

Oct 24, 2011
    Beeville, Texas
    As long as Big Brother thinks Little Brother is an idiot, we'll never be allowed to be adults.

19. ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    ProVari Nirvana
    Remember, they're only doing it for our own good....

20. mooreted

mooreted Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 10, 2011
    California
    I just don't understand why they give a damn what I do. And why do they keep bringing up children? Isn't it the parent's job to watch after their kids? When did I become responsible for them?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.