Why do dual 18650 mods keep advertising as 200 watt devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Because majority of your consumers are just blind "Sheeple". They don't bother researching their purchases or future purchases, taking the word of a manufacturer's advertising hype. And I suspect in the reverse, the manufacturers of said 200watt mod are taking the marketing hype of over-speced battery manufacturers like Efest, IMRen, AWT etc

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If you do not think energy can be stored and applied as needed:
Stay out of your microwave
Away from your AC unit

PWM has been an industry accepted method of power control for over 15yrs.(or longer)
Pulse Width Modulated Audio Amplifiers for Automobiles from Top manufacturers Date back well over a decade.

mods Are designed to shut off output after 10-15 seconds Max. Not run Continuously.

200w, yea I agree that is pushing available and stored power, however new improvements are being produced continually.

Microwave units now the size of a Bread box, once were as large as a refrigerator.:shock:

Also remember:
.2ohm, 200 watts is only 25 amps / 2 = 22.5amps per and according to Mooch LG HB6 is good for 32 amps
(Figures are approximate)

*Take this post with a grain of Salt - Real world always throws in surprises.
:cool:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Also remember:
.2ohm, 200 watts is only 25 amps / 2 = 22.5amps per and according to Mooch LG HB6 is good for 32 amps

Take a bit of voltage drop under load into account, plus regulator loss and you'll be drawing around 28A per cell at 200 watts. By the time the battery voltage is down to 3V under load it's up to 37A.

I wouldn't run a cell at 100 watts regularly, but that's just me :)

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Testosterone. :rolleyes:

In the Vape World... higher wattage is sexy.
And SEX(Y) sells.

-Sorry... I had some extra snark built up today and had to get rid of a bit. :p

More snark from crusty old guy here....the day I have to stick 100 watt device into one side pf my yap and then stick another 100 watt device into the other side of my yap to get a satisfying
(somewhere close to 200 watt) vape, is the day I'll seriously consider the idea that I may in fact have a problem.:glug:Cheers.

Reactions: DC2

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Take a bit of voltage drop under load into account, plus regulator loss and you'll be drawing around 28A per cell at 200 watts. By the time the battery voltage is down to 3V under load it's up to 37A.

I wouldn't run a cell at 100 watts regularly, but that's just me :)

Ignore me.........Even with High output mods, my vaping average is 25w-30w :D

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
A 6 horse electric motor requires 240v 30amp service with at least 10ga wire. The motor itself will need three men and a boy to move.

Yet Sears Craftsman has sold how many millions of shop vacs that have 6+ horsepower and weight a pound or two and run off household current??

Nothing new going on here far as I can see.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Because like many technical products, the vaping hardware market is driven by one-up-ism and the more is better mentality.
Now we're getting somewhere in this discussion.
Somebody is going to make this worse before it gets better.
That's possibly the most insightful post I've seen in quite some time.
I guess it is what it is, and it will be what it will be.

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
If you do not think energy can be stored and applied as needed:
Stay out of your microwave
Away from your AC unit

PWM has been an industry accepted method of power control for over 15yrs.(or longer)
Pulse Width Modulated Audio Amplifiers for Automobiles from Top manufacturers Date back well over a decade.

MODS Are designed to shut off output after 10-15 seconds Max. Not run Continuously.

200w, yea I agree that is pushing available and stored power, however new improvements are being produced continually.

Microwave units now the size of a Bread box, once were as large as a refrigerator.:shock:

Also remember:

Assuming that the battery does not drop below 3.7 volts under load it is 27 amps.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Because under a very narrow range of resistance they can actually output at 200W. Safety is debatable, but physically they can do it.

My no name China planer motor makes a true 3hp. Weights 100ish pounds and uses heavy wiring at 240v.

My Milwaukee handheld router has 3½hp and runs off a standard household plug. I'm sure Milwaukee has paperwork somewhere showing that at like 25000rpm with no load and for about a millionth of a second it could actually produce 3½hp before exploding.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
The HB6 initial voltage under 25 ampo load is 3.7 and rapidly drops below 3.5 with a 20 amp load. And as the output voltage drops the current goes up to provide 200 watts.
At 3.5 volts it will take 28.57 amps not counting the loss in the voltage converter circuitry in the mod.
At 3.2 volts it will take 31.2 amps and that is just halfway thru the batterys discharge cycle.

Watts is watts PWM or not.
PWM is merely a way to control the watts thru the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread