1 Year old battery. Battery life decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yppan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
Hello everyone about a year ago i purchased a good battery for my kangertech mod. The mod sat on the shelf gathering dust for awhile because I couldn't afford to buy a coil for it. I recently bought one and started to vape on it. I noticed that the battery life has significantly decreased, one full charge used to last me for 24hours or sometimes more. Now I am draining it twice a day! vaping at only 25 or 30 Watts! Has this battery degraded over time? Is it bad for my mod to continue using it? The only difference I notice is the battery life is significantly reduced. It is a year old battery. (I bought it a year ago)

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Degradation/aging seems most likely as long as you're using it the same way you did at first. In other words, if you've increased your wattage or vaping time from a year ago that would also explain it, but if not it's probably the battery. Batteries age both with use (recharge cycles) and over time, even without any use. That's especially true if the battery's just been left sitting for more than a month or two. It's best to store 18650s with a partial charge - about 3.6 V. They'll discharge over time, so if they're not used for a time you can take them out periodically to bump the charge back up to 3.6. If the charge drops too low they'll degrade faster, which may be what happened to you.

ETA: The other potential issue is the age of the battery. One year isn't terribly old, but you never know how long the supplier had it before you got it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
What kind of battery is this?

If stored properly (40-50% charge or around 3.6-3.7V and at a comfortable temperature) a battery should lose no more than 5-10% of its capacity after a year.

I still vape some batteries that are 3+ years old. Are they as good as when they were new? No. But they're still quite usable.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I have batteries over a year old that have lost a little bit, maybe 10-15% if I had to guess. They get used a lot too because I only have 4 batteries that I rotate in a dual battery mod. Your batteries shouldn't be that bad so I think something happened. Maybe you left it on last time you used it and the battery drained way too low. Because if it was just sitting and was off you shouldn't had such a decrease in performance. You could continue using, I don't think it's dangerous, just the annoyance of having to recharge more often.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
What kind of battery is this?

If stored properly (40-50% charge or around 3.6-3.7V and at a comfortable temperature) a battery should lose no more than 5-10% of its capacity after a year.

I still vape some batteries that are 3+ years old. Are they as good as when they were new? No. But they're still quite usable.
This.

I also have a couple of three year old batteries that are still working. I never put more than 5A on them now, but they still take and hold a charge.

It sounds like the battery in question is being put under a higher load than before. Maybe the wattage has changed?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
While going through some boxes of vape gear yesterday I found one of my first 18650s in a plastic battery box. It's probably been 2 or three years since I charged it, but when I stuck it in the charger the display read 4.2v and the charging indicator was cycling. It's an old button top that I used on my Provari. It's been sitting in the box for a while.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries @ Battery University

Of course, there are many battery chemistry variations with different levels of ageing and deterioration.
Stored at a maximum of 14/15th of max charge voltage (3.92/4.2V) in a cool and dry place batteries should last a lot of years with minimal detriment.

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread