Married Batteries Questions/ Battery Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abezii

Jan 22, 2017
Hello I have 2 pairs of married batteries that I bought about a year and a half ago. I used them in the kangertech dripbox 160 which I no longer really use, having replaced it with the pulse 80W. Can I use them as single batteries in the pulse if I never intend to repair them? I also haven't really used these in months since I bought new batteries and re-wrapped them specifically for the pulse. I just feel it's a waste not to use them. Also how can you tell when it's time to replace batteries, toss em out and buy new ones? I didn't use them heavily, each pair has probably only gone through less than 100 charge cycles. Finally any recommendations for good 20700 batteries and a charger compatible with them, I only have 18650s but the mods I own can use 20700 and 21700s so I'm thinking of getting new ones when I replace my current batteries?

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Splitting up married set is fine. Just as you mentioned you are not going to do, it's not advised to rematch them for dual use.

If you are looking for good 21700s, the Samsung 30t and 40t batteries are the top of the line right now.

Quality 20700s are hard to come by. Ijoy has a good one, but you have to be careful when buying them. Ijoy has 3 different batteries that use the same wrap. There is a 3 leg 4 leg and 5 leg version. The one you want is the 5 leg version, the other two are not that great really. (When I say leg I am referencing the number of tabs that are connected to the positive post, see pic below). Other rewrapers have been swapping out cells under the wrap quite frequently lately, so if you go with any of them it is going to be hard to tell what the battery truly is and if it is good or not.

The one on the left is a 5 leg, the one on the right is 4 leg.
YvtJSjCvfU8z5LEXr8LCtgjIEzBTijPijHoawoAioJA.jpg

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Married batteries was important on duel unregulated mods. Regulated mods usually wont run duel batteries that are out of balance of each other. It's still good practice to continue marrying batteries. Separating is fine as long as they dont remarry. Vaping single 18650 at 50w or more will drain super quick. A 21700 is the way to go.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Splitting up married set is fine. Just as you mentioned you are not going to do, it's not advised to rematch them for dual use.

If you are looking for good 21700s, the Samsung 30t and 40t batteries are the top of the line right now.

Quality 20700s are hard to come by. Ijoy has a good one, but you have to be careful when buying them. Ijoy has 3 different batteries that use the same wrap. There is a 3 leg 4 leg and 5 leg version. The one you want is the 5 leg version, the other two are not that great really. (When I say leg I am referencing the number of tabs that are connected to the positive post, see pic below). Other rewrapers have been swapping out cells under the wrap quite frequently lately, so if you go with any of them it is going to be hard to tell what the battery truly is and if it is good or not.

The one on the left is a 5 leg, the one on the right is 4 leg.
View attachment 770519
Get the Enercig EC-27HC. It's the same as the 5-leg IJoy cell.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Also how can you tell when it's time to replace batteries, toss em out and buy new ones? I didn't use them heavily, each pair has probably only gone through less than 100 charge cycles.
Replace them when you feel they are no longer performing satisfactory for the application that they are being used.

Batteries have a 500 charge duty cycle before they will no longer be able to hold a reasonable charge. At around 250 - 300 charge cycles they will begin to lose their ability to hold a charge, and performance will be affected accordingly.

As a battery is used or as it ages, its capacity (mAh rating) and current (amp rating) will drop off. That means your 20 amp cdr battery may be only be a 10 amp cdr battery over time.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hello I have 2 pairs of married batteries that I bought about a year and a half ago. I used them in the kangertech dripbox 160 which I no longer really use, having replaced it with the pulse 80W. Can I use them as single batteries in the pulse if I never intend to repair them? I also haven't really used these in months since I bought new batteries and re-wrapped them specifically for the pulse. I just feel it's a waste not to use them. Also how can you tell when it's time to replace batteries, toss em out and buy new ones? I didn't use them heavily, each pair has probably only gone through less than 100 charge cycles. Finally any recommendations for good 20700 batteries and a charger compatible with them, I only have 18650s but the mods I own can use 20700 and 21700s so I'm thinking of getting new ones when I replace my current batteries?

At the risk of repeating what others have said ...

Cells that are to be paired should be new ones that stay in use as paired cells for their lifetime. You can switch those from mod to mod as long as they remain together. Internal resistance of both should be close, as well as the MAH readings you get from chargers that offer those features. If you begin to use them individually, that's OK as long as you don't revert back to using them in pairs again.

You can see the specs on cells if you have a charger that shows you internal resistance and MAH as the cells are charged. The Zanflare C4 that I own is one of those chargers but there are several that have those features. My newer cells show internal resistance below 50milliohms. 25mr seems to be typical for a high quality new cell. Cells that I've purchased together have typically shown the same voltage when I take them out of a mod and put them in the charger. They also maintain almost exact or very close voltages as they recharge. It's uncanny how well cells I bought together match each other closely during charge. If they don't, then I use them in single battery mods.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread