10th and 11th Vaping Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Vapers who vape normal e-juices (or salts) shouldn't worry about the vit E oil much.
Even if any of the e-juice ingredient is contaminated with the oil, you will be able to clearly see it as oil will be stock on top of the liquid.

Unless packaging/ stickers are opaque and/ or obscure the contents.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Vitamin E isnt cheap compared to a bottle of Crisco,,, I suspect they were cutting all of the juices with any thick cheap oil

Vitamin E was likely a gimmick at first
While I like me a good conspiracy theory bedtime story just as much as anyone else, I'm inclined to strongly agree with this statement, and that it's no conspiracy.

The equation is simple:
1. Take a safe but expensive, legal (in places) intoxicant.
2. Cut it with anything that will not reveal visually that it's been cut
3. Sell it for the same price, or more, as the real thing
4. Profit!

Any barrier to entry for makers is so low you couldn't crawl under it. They don't need special materials. They don't need a commercial lab. Just some seed money to buy the materials and start making stuff wherever there's a flat surface to pour liquids.

Your theory also rationalizes the slow information flow on this apparently fast moving topic. The reason they can't pin it down is: there's probably as many different contaminants, at all kinds of toxicity levels, as there are people making this crap in their kitchen.

Then there's the consumers. If they even know there's a problem, when did you ever hear of anyone interested in consuming any substance actually heed a health warning? They've been printing one on cigarette packages for decades. The THC angle just makes it worse.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Vit-A and apparently pesticides that make hydrogen cyanide. (see link above) in almost all bootleg stuff.
The pesticide issue would come from illegally grown plant product to be later used to make black market THC by "amateurs". Legal cannabis is grown by cannabis farmers regulated by the government and is tested for contaminants. State run dispensaries use quality control procedures in their labs to make THC liquid and edibles and test for THC strength.

The Vit A acetate that was used to cut the THC that caused the vaping illnesses could be either amateur produced for the black market, or possibly from legal cannabis dispensaries. I believe some bad product allegedly came from a dispensary in Oregon which resulted in one of the deaths. I haven't seen a followup on that case.

My perspective on the THC Vape health issues (cannabis lab director) : electronic_cigarette

I haven't seen any evidence that the illnesses were caused from using regulated e-liquid purchased from our usual sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttyPops

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I haven't seen any evidence that the illnesses were caused from using regulated e-liquid purchased from our usual sources.
I can also see this as a potential user issue. I'm not a user, and my state prohibits the product anyway. So kind of ignorant if this is even possible.

I could see it with a liquid product that would ordinarily be safe if poured on your corn flakes or stirred into a glass of milk. Then a genius user happens to notice that it looks real similar to their vape liquid and makes a fatal mistake.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

From the above Linked article...

"The final question that I want to tackle in this commentary is why the CDC is failing to recommend THC testing of every case patient. There is no legitimate public health justification for this failure. The only explanation is that the CDC does not actually want to tie all the cases together by detecting marijuana use in a large proportion of patients who reported using only nicotine-liquids because that would let legally sold, store-bought nicotine-containing e-cigarettes off the hook. The CDC's actions tell me that they actually desire to be able to tie these cases to traditional e-cigarette use. They are apparently going to hold out as long as possible before admitting clearly that THC carts are playing a major role in this epidemic.

The CDC's irresponsibility is perhaps best demonstrated by the testimony of a CDC deputy director at this week's Congressional hearing. She testified that one possible cause of the outbreak is something about the act of vaping itself. In other words, she testified that something about the process of vaping itself may be causing this outbreak, rather than the specific products that are being vaped.

Sorry - I hate to have to use this type of language but my conscience does not allow me to express it any other way:

This is complete bull....."

It's Funny. But for Years I have heard people say that the FDA is a Corrupt, Misguided, Biased Agency that is using It's Power to push an Agenda that it's Corporate Cronies Want.

Perhaps they are Not alone in the way they "Promote Public Health" ?

:facepalm:

Last edited:

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Vitamin E isnt cheap compared to a bottle of Crisco,,, I suspect they were cutting all of the juices with any thick cheap oil
In cheap pods you wouldn't notice. It is also very likely these were cut with crude glycerin to save on costs.

Crude-Glycerine-80-.jpg

Guaranteed to give you lipoid pnemonia.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttyPops

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
upload_2019-9-27_16-27-16.png

lol.
So you don't agree that they're saying that? :confused:

It's not that I disagree with the Dr's article, per se. But the CDC has just out and out said "don't vape THC right now, period". That covers it 100%, assuming it's isolated to that arena. Although we don't know that for sure, we know not to go near THC right now, as some may have come through legit stores too.

Now, if you're saying you don't buy into it...

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
#6 likely from his smoking years not vape

On second thought, 'popcorn lung' would manifest as emphysema or COPD rather than exogenous lipoid pneumonia (ELP).
Some people that gargle with or drink oils (sesame oil pulling, mineral oils, etc) for naturopathic purposes have been diagnosed with ELP.
Rubbing oil in your nostrils can also cause ELP.
So, while getting ELP from e-Juice tainted with essential oils has a high likelihood, getting ELP by other unsafe behaviors needs to be ruled out. Tainted pods with crude glycerin and essential oils for flavoring is my #1 suspect for majority of non-THC CDC cases.

• Agree
Reactions: Sloth Tonight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread