10th and 11th Vaping Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Counter:

Anytime it happened, it would be "now". I'm assuming you mean the pending May deadline and also the new BT product releases. But remember it's all coincidental with a big spurt in "green stuff" in the states. Those things ARE all coincidental.

I mean, we can speculate that it's deliberate and nefarious, or it's just "fortuitous" for BT in a sadly tragic coincidental way.

I guess I'm more concerned about how the politicians and spin doctors leverage any coincidence. My tin foil hat is still on, but it's more about the politicians and the "rules" and the big-money grab and the "master plan" regardless of this epidemic of lung disease.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Counter:

Anytime it happened, it would be "now". I'm assuming you mean the pending May deadline and also the new BT product releases. But remember it's all coincidental with a big spurt in "green stuff" in the states. Those things ARE all coincidental.

I mean, we can speculate that it's deliberate and nefarious, or it's just "fortuitous" for BT in a sadly tragic coincidental way.

I guess I'm more concerned about how the politicians and spin doctors leverage any coincidence. My tin foil hat is still on, but it's more about the politicians and the "rules" and the big-money grab and the "master plan" regardless of this epidemic of lung disease.

Yes, I meant the impending May deadline.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The only way that would make sense is if:
1) they already know what the problem is in some cases and

They don't. I am married to a pulmonologist and have a kid in med school (3rd year--they just had a big lecture the other day about what's going on and what to look for in patients presenting with any kind of respiratory distress). They are talking about it, looking at x-rays, trying to find the common denominator--if there is one. There may be several. It's a very new phenomenon.

2) the patient cops to using the substance-in-question

Then they document it and report to CDC. That's protocol. And by now, they all know to ask about the substance-in-question. Doctors also know that patients lie--especially those who live in states where the substance in question in illegal. Doctors are not total idiots. ;)

zelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2009
Echo Beach
Can you say clueless?

Very clueless. That word "mystified" was used a lot.

My 19 year old nephew (who doesn't vape) and his friends mentioned on FB black market carts were causing the problems.

Guess I should check his FB posts for info instead of listening to the "experts".

SHEESH.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I suggest you read the article again before you start bashing China. Shenzhen manufactures empty plastic cartridges--our home grown crooks fill them up with lethal crap.
Not Shenzhen. Shanzhai - Wikipedia Different thing entirely. Different word. Shenzhen is a level two city in China specializing in electronics. The word Shanzhai means literally “mountain fortress” or bandit, sort of. Counterfeit illegally produced products.
Bathtub gin would be Shanzhai

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
But we're not talking about "eliquid" in the traditional sense. We're talking about thc extract. I don't think they contain pg or vg .
I get it, about the THC extract, but what about these latest rumors? I'm concerned about what my family members are purchasing.
I'll have to return tomorrow for this; I'm exhausted!

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
They don't. I am married to a pulmonologist and have a kid in med school (3rd year--they just had a big lecture the other day about what's going on and what to look for in patients presenting with any kind of respiratory distress). They are talking about it, looking at x-rays, trying to find the common denominator--if there is one. There may be several. It's a very new phenomenon.

Then they document it and report to CDC. That's protocol. And by now, they all know to ask about the substance-in-question. Doctors also know that patients lie--especially those who live in states where the substance in question in illegal. Doctors are not total idiots. ;)
I hope I'm not asking an inappropriate question, if so I'll delete it. What does your significant other think of vaping, as a medical professional? Curious because I haven't personally talked to anyone in the medical field.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I hope I'm not asking an inappropriate question, if so I'll delete it. What does your significant other think of vaping, as a medical professional? Curious because I haven't personally talked to anyone in the medical field.

He's always been supportive of my vaping. He used to smoke an occasional cigar himself, years ago, when he was young and unafraid, but after intensive training and subsequent board-certification in pulmonology, he stopped altogether, eventually. ;)

When I discovered vaping in 2009, we both looked at the ingredients in e-liquids and he said, Go for it--I'm sure it's much, much better than smoking. He's still on board.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I am married to a pulmonologist and
Oh, and a few days ago I get a card in the mail for a followup to my pulmonologist for a "re-check". Might end up being her PA. But anyway, I either have to walk in and get my own lecture, or stop vaping and use NRT. Then I'll be stuck with the lecture about "well, maybe stay on the NRT if you can".

Of course, maybe they'll figure this all out before my "re-check".

Which is pretty much going to go like "Let me listen...ok, any changes? No? Ok....see you in a year" if it wasn't for this crisis. Now we have to deal with that.

And if anything happens, I'm screwed because I don't follow CDC guidelines or doctor's advice, even though vaping saved my azz. The NRT's are hell on my digestive system, or just don't work for me.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Very clueless. That word "mystified" was used a lot.

My 19 year old nephew (who doesn't vape) and his friends mentioned on FB black market carts were causing the problems.

Guess I should check his FB posts for info instead of listening to the "experts".

SHEESH.
This is the way of timeas we age. Different experts perhaps.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I could be entirely wrong, but I thought VG/PG in some combination were always used in e-liquid?
If you want the least amount of vapor use mostly PG. If you want the most vapor use mostly VG.

From my earliest days of vaping the hostility of public health institutions has been obvious to me and I've assumed the always reliable "follow the money" as the most plausible explanation. The vape deniers are ALL in fields that depend on public money, taxes, etc. It sucks to be in public health, you're like the Maytag repairman and ignored most of the time to boot so when you're moment comes you may have a chip on your shoulder. I've been watching video of health officials press conferences and hearings, etc., Canada and the US. It creeps me out. Something is wrong with them, internal conflicts. They aren't just indifferent to adult smokers, they're hostile. And their interest in kids seems forced, theatrical, contrived.

The delay pinpointing causes is because they want to scare as many people as possible for as long as possible to discourage as many people as possible from vaping--why? It's not just the money.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Not Shenzhen. Shanzhai - Wikipedia Different thing entirely. Different word. Shenzhen is a level two city in China specializing in electronics. The word Shanzhai means literally “mountain fortress” or bandit, sort of. Counterfeit illegally produced products.
Bathtub gin would be Shanzhai
You're correcting someone who was correct, and that's not even relevant to the discussion anyway.

From the article:
upload_2019-9-26_23-8-56.png

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
If you want the least amount of vapor use mostly PG. If you want the most vapor use mostly VG.

From my earliest days of vaping the hostility of public health institutions has been obvious to me and I've assumed the always reliable "follow the money" as the most plausible explanation. The vape deniers are ALL in fields that depend on public money, taxes, etc. It sucks to be in public health, you're like the Maytag repairman and ignored most of the time to boot so when you're moment comes you may have a chip on your shoulder. I've been watching video of health officials press conferences and hearings, etc., Canada and the US. It creeps me out. Something is wrong with them, internal conflicts. They aren't just indifferent to adult smokers, they're hostile. And their interest in kids seems forced, theatrical, contrived.

The delay pinpointing causes is because they want to scare as many people as possible for as long as possible to discourage as many people as possible from vaping--why? It's not just the money.
I make my vapes about 50/50, and vapor production isn't my issue. My question is more about: is the VG or PG contaminated recently?

Reactions: Katya

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I get it, about the THC extract, but what about these latest rumors? I'm concerned about what my family members are purchasing.
I'll have to return tomorrow for this; I'm exhausted!
Don't worry...stock up on real vape supplies, like nic and atties. And don't vape weed based products, you & fam will be fine. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
make my vapes about 50/50, and vapor production isn't my issue. My question is more about: is the VG or PG contaminated recently?

No. Really. If you're a DIY-er and know what's in your vape, you're fine. Really.

Well, let me be more accurate--you're 95% safer that you'd be if you were still smoking combustible cigarettes.

Still worried--read this--this is the best I have to offer ATM:

In the meantime, I'm reading this (by Dr. Farsalinos):

The emotional and irrational hysteria in the US about the “vaping-related” (or cannabis-related?) lung disease that goes far beyond confirmation bias

"What does this tell us from an epidemiological perspective (again, without considering any information about cannabis/THC use)?
  1. That these cases are not related to long-term use of e-cigarettes. The authorities have clarified that these are acute cases. Despite various media presenting this as a mysterious lung disease, it is in fact poisoning of the lungs which is clinically manifested as serious respiratory failure (perhaps ARDS, perhaps some form of severe lung inflammation leading to respiratory failure).
  2. That these cases are not related to vaping products that have been available for years in the US and global market. It makes absolutely no sense that the same products that have been used for several years by millions and never caused any disease outbreak are only today causing acute disease.
  3. That these cases are not related to products that are generally used by the average vaper. The average age of adult vapers in the US is different from the average age of adults that have suffered from this acute condition. Also, the number of cases is very low considering the millions of vapers in the US and the many more millions globally.
  4. That these cases are related to the recent release of new products (that were not previously available in the market), or to a recent modification in the composition of products previously available in the market, or to a recent problem in the manufacturing process or raw materials of products that were previously available in the market. This explains the timing of the outbreak. These products could be nicotine-containing or nicotine-free products (remember, we assume there is no information on THC/cannabis)."
Yes, I'm biased, too. But seriously, I've been vaping for almost 10 years (in December will be my 10th vaping anniversary) and I've had no ill effects WHATSOEVER. Au contraire. That is not to say that I refuse to listen to reason and good science. I have modified my vaping style over the years thank to information from people like Kurt and Dr. Farsalinos, just to mention those two. I mostly vape defensively--unflavored or barely flavored eliquids (3% flavoring or less), no diktones, no other known lung irritants (cinnamaldehyde, cloves, strong menthols/mints, etc,). I'm an MTL vaper--low volume, higher nic, plenty of airflow in my atomizers, low temperature (>420°). I don't chain vape and I often don't inhale at all to give my lungs a rest. As always, YMMV. My style may not work for other people.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I make my vapes about 50/50, and vapor production isn't my issue. My question is more about: is the VG or PG contaminated recently?
It's neither. PG and VG are commodity products made in the millions of gallons around the world annually. The batches would be huge and every one tested for contamination or not marketed for use by humans. Make sure you buy from a reputable source. That's how you buy groceries too, right? The bad THC cartridges have novel compounds added recently for purposes related to THC, not nicotine, that turn out to be unsuitable to inhale. I think it's safe to say e liquid ingredients are always, only, the usual 4. The way to be more certain--DIY

• Agree
Reactions: iVapeDIY

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Hello, Zelda! They are correct. Black market carts are killing people--that's been established already. The question is which carts, exactly, and what substance, if one (there may be more than one), or a combination of substances, are responsible for causing those strange respiratory problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread