14500 Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
It depends on the charger because they're not all rated at the same output. It also depends on how much charge is still in the battery.

If you have 2 x 900 mah batt's charging on a dual bay charger @ 500 mah output it'll put 250 mah into each channel. So if you have a battery that needs 500 mah to be fully charged it'll supposedly take around 2 hours to get there. Put one cell on and it'll put the whole 500 mah into one channel and take 1 hour. That's the theory anyway but ymmv.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i see. thank you for the formula. the charger output is 600 mah. each batt is 900 mah, so that should be 3 hours for both batts. :toast:

but i notice that the input max is 150 mah. does that mean it will put 150 mah into each channel? hope not. i think that would double ...or *qradruple* my charge time if the 150 is split amongst the two channels...yikes

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
christ. good thing im not a heavy vaporer. ive been going strong since noon yesterday with the initial charge. are these batts shipped full or at the typical 40%?

The Lithiums I have purchased typically arrive with a voltage reading of 3.9 to 4.0 volts. That is 70% to 80% charged.

With Lithium batteries, you really do need a Digital Multimeter. You want to make sure the charger is not over charging the batteries. Ideally, they should come off the charger at 4.19 or 4.20 volts. Anything above 4.23 volts is getting into the danger zone.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
is it common for these chargers to overcharge the batteries?

The Lithiums I have purchased typically arrive with a voltage reading of 3.9 to 4.0 volts. That is 70% to 80% charged.

With Lithium batteries, you really do need a Digital Multimeter. You want to make sure the charger is not over charging the batteries. Ideally, they should come off the charger at 4.19 or 4.20 volts. Anything above 4.23 volts is getting into the danger zone.

cbrociuos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
N.E. Ohio
It depends on the charger because they're not all rated at the same output. It also depends on how much charge is still in the battery.

If you have 2 x 900 mah batt's charging on a dual bay charger @ 500 mah output it'll put 250 mah into each channel. So if you have a battery that needs 500 mah to be fully charged it'll supposedly take around 2 hours to get there. Put one cell on and it'll put the whole 500 mah into one channel and take 1 hour. That's the theory anyway but ymmv.

dont forget to add the time when the batteries get near capacity. the charger drops the mah output so as to not overcharge the battery. the amount of drop will vary from unit to unit. at least this is how good hobby chargers with digital displays work.

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
i see. thank you for the formula. the charger output is 600 mah. each batt is 900 mah, so that should be 3 hours for both batts. :toast:

but i notice that the input max is 150 mah. does that mean it will put 150 mah into each channel? hope not. i think that would double ...or *qradruple* my charge time if the 150 is split amongst the two channels...yikes

Charger input has nothing to do with it...that's what it's drawing from the wall.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Also we aren't charging these batteries from 0 mah, if it is it's a dead cell. They usually get put on the charger somewhere around 3ish or slightly higher volts so time should be somewhat less from the above calculations.

It's not common for chargers to over charge, depending on the model, some also may trickle charge. If it was sold by an ecig vendor it shouldn't. Get the model number off your specific charger and you should be able to google the designated specs. No matter if the specs say it has over charge protection and doesn't trickle charge it's good to verify it's operating correctly from time to time or every time would be the best scenario but likely won't happen. Get a multimeter if you don't already have one, it's an invaluable tool to any vapor with testing batteries and troubleshooting mod issues.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
ive been avoiding getting the multimeter but i think its about time i get one. they dont seem to be expensive.

whats weird to me about these batteries is ive been noticing different charge times. the first tiem i charged them they had been run dead. it took exactly 4 hours. another time i charged them they were not dead, but took almost 5 hours. no big deal, but it is strange. i did use two different outlets from two different buildings... :confused:

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
ive been avoiding getting the multimeter but i think its about time i get one. they dont seem to be expensive.

whats weird to me about these batteries is ive been noticing different charge times. the first tiem i charged them they had been run dead. it took exactly 4 hours. another time i charged them they were not dead, but took almost 5 hours. no big deal, but it is strange. i did use two different outlets from two different buildings... :confused:
Variations in US line voltage aren't enough to make much difference. I've been told that Li-ion batts sometimes have a little break in period where they capacity is usually a bit higher after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th cycle. I don't know where this comes from but I have 'heard' that.

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
Variations in US line voltage aren't enough to make much difference. I've been told that Li-ion batts sometimes have a little break in period where they capacity is usually a bit higher after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th cycle. I don't know where this comes from but I have 'heard' that.

I believe you probably picked it up from one of the flashlight forums. I believe they have a rule where it takes something like 3-4 charge cycles for a battery to reach is max capacity.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
case = cracked.

makes sense to me.

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
case = cracked.

makes sense to me.
you might look at one of these instead of a multimeter ... Assembled-Volt-Indicator. This is MadVapes but several sites have them. Probably slightly more than a cheap multimeter (walmart has these in automotive) but sometimes handier and certainly easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread