17 Sep 2014: E-Cigarettes and Maintenance Therapy: A Smart Public Health Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
E-Cigarettes and Maintenance Therapy: A Smart Public Health Approach
E-Cigarettes and Maintenance Therapy: A Smart Public Health Approach | Drug Policy Alliance

- very nice posting in favor ecigs and THR.

The risks associated with e-cigarettes, which appear at this point to be modest,
must be weighed against the potential benefits. On the individual level, there
is good evidence to suggest that some people who use e-cigarettes reduce
or eliminate their use of traditional cigarettes, decreasing harm
to themselves and reducing exposure to secondhand smoke to those around them.
It’s too early to say, what the impact at the population level will be, but in
countries, like Sweden, where smokeless tobacco products, like snus, became popular,
smoking rates (along with lung cancer and myocardial infarction) dropped
dramatically. A substantial proportion (around 30%) of male ex-smokers in Sweden
used snus when quitting smoking, and researchers have attributed the drop in smoking nationwide in
part to the increasing use of this less harmful smokeless product.

Ok, the last sentence about the "drugs" .. uhm.. but hey, this text is by the New York deputy state director for the Drug Policy Alliance. (gotta mention the word "drug" somewhere, eh?)

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Whats really telling is that according to churnmag.com the smoking rates in New York have increased since the indoor ban was enacted. (of course you need to take the linked article with some critical thinking since it is from a vapers blog and correlation is not causation; although the ANTZ do it all the time.)

Smoking Rates Increase in New York After E-Cigs are Banned - ChurnMag

Last edited:

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
@Painter:
well that makes sense.
If you still get demonized and if you still have to stand out in the cold, then why bother switching to vaping? You might as well smoke.
Which is - usually - precisely the intention of anti-vaping legislation. Keep the tobacco gravy train rolling by removing incentives to switch to a safer alternative. Anything for taxes and MSA money.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
I just read this and was going to post, but you beat me to it! And to think this article was written by a non smoker!

:)
Oh yes - I love the pro-vaping articles / blogposts that are written by non smokers and non vapers. The people who do not smoke or vape but who totally get it.
Have you see this one? By the wife of a smoker who switched to vaping? It is excellent.

Reconsidering Electronic Cigarettes: A Story

The lady is now a very outspoken vaping advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread