18500 vs 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
It will depend on the type of 18500 you get. There are regular and high-drain available for pretty much all Li-ion batteries. The high drain will give a bit more oomph, but are generally lower mAh than the regular batts. Whether you notice this difference, or even like it, is a personal thing. Some really like high drains (labeled AW IMR), and some not so much. Also, not all 18500 are exactly the same size, like 14500s and 18650s. I personally don't use 18650s or 18500s yet, but I know that some of my 14500 PVs take the blue generic 14500s, but some do not. Some take the slightly shorter Trustfire 14500s, and some do not. It will depend on how soft the spring is, and if you can stretch it a bit, or use spacers.

In general, I have found that if a vendor is selling batteries along with the mod, or recommends a certain make, get those in the beginning, and then see about getting more of those as backups elsewhere (probably a bit cheaper than a mod vendor, but maybe not). PV mods are notorious for being able to take some of a particular size spec, but not others because they are too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread