Status
Not open for further replies.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
So I recently bought some Sony VTC5's instead of VTC4's, after assuming that the 5's are better in all respects, but then discovered from one of Mooch's tables that the VTC4's actually have a higher CDR and MCA than the 5's, which I guess makes sense, as they are 2100 mah rather than 2600 mah.

Does having a CDR over 20 amps and a MCA over 25 amps really matter when using regulated mods? If so, in what situations?

If better battery life is a top criterion, it appears that the MXJO (3 leg top cap) are the "best" at 3000 mah, 20 amp CDR, and 25 amp MCA. Are those more common and/or newer than the 4 leg top cap type?

I ask because I'm planning on getting a RX200 soonish and want to find the "best" set of batts for it. TIA for any advice/guidance.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
MOJO batteries are re-wraps just like many others. So no, they are not the best. Explanation below.

@Mooch battery bench tests:
There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sanyo.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. In order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

* (AW is Andrew Wan, a former Panasonic employee who branched out to create his own "brand" of batteries. He allegedly has agreements with the major cell manufacturers to purchase first tier batteries from them. Not all batteries are created equal, so AW tests these batteries for quality. The best get chosen to be AW brand, and are re-wrapped as AW.)
I ask because I'm planning on getting a RX200 soonish and want to find the "best" set of batts for it.
image-jpeg.542520

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
Aha, so assuming that having a MCA over 20 amps doesn't matter, and I want max battery life in an OEM batt, I should go with LG HG2's at 3000 mah?

Thanks much for your help, btw. :)
I occasionaly use LG HG2's. They are not a bad battery at all. I do have a fondness for Samsung 30q's though-no idea why, maybe it is the pink that draws me to them :)

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
MOJO batteries are re-wraps just like many others. So no, they are not the best. Explanation below.

There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sanyo.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. In order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

* (AW is Andrew Wan, a former Panasonic employee who branched out to create his own "brand" of batteries. He allegedly has agreements with the major cell manufacturers to purchase first tier batteries from them. Not all batteries are created equal, so AW tests these batteries for quality. The best get chosen to be AW brand, and are re-wrapped as AW.)

image-jpeg.542520

I don't trust AW rewraps.
They used to be a trusted name, however not so much anymore.
AW has inflated CDR ratings on at least one cell.

AW 20A 2200mAh Button-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 15A battery

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Reactions: f1vefour

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If I wanted more than 60ish watts from a 1 battery mod, or more than 120ish from a 2 battery mod, on a regular basis, I'd suggest Sony VTC4s. Short of those numbers, a 20A battery is fine, and there are plenty of good ones. I run 2 RX200s, and I have the LG HG2s in them.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana

image-jpeg.542520

I got a dumb question...if AW re-wraps their cells...what cell is the 18350 a re-wrap of? Just curious...I've always known AW were re-wraps, but now my slightly intoxicated brain is wondering who the original manufacturer is?

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
If I wanted more than 60ish watts from a 1 battery mod, or more than 120ish from a 2 battery mod, on a regular basis, I'd suggest Sony VTC4s. Short of those numbers, a 20A battery is fine, and there are plenty of good ones. I run 2 RX200s, and I have the LG HG2s in them.

I want more than 120W out of a 3 battery mod, (RX200), so I'm leaning toward the LG HG2's for their 3000 mah. Thanks for confirming that they work well in that device. :)

For 1 batt mods; why VTC4's instead of VTC5's? How and when would the extra 5 MCA really make a difference? I'm using VTC5's in my Kanger Topbox Mini, (run it in TC nearly all the time and it uses all ~75W for that).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jdurand

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
But I want more than 120W out of a 3 battery mod, on a regular basis, and I want to charge them as infrequently as possible. ;) Why VTC4's instead of VTC5's? How and when would the extra 5 MCA really make a difference? I'm using VTC5's in my Kanger Topbox Mini, (run it in TC nearly all the time and it uses all ~75W for that).

Three VTC5 are fine to run up to the full wattage of the RX200, which I highly doubt is 200 watts. You will just be running on the outer edge if running full throttle.

Keep in mind the VTC5 is the most cloned battery and the newer generation is not as good as the older (circa 2014) batteries.

Personally I like the 30Q, long life and pretty in pink. If I could get VTC5s like the two I have from late 2014 I wouldn't hesitate, but alas they are all gone.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
But I want more than 120W out of a 3 battery mod, on a regular basis, and I want to charge them as infrequently as possible. ;) Why VTC4's instead of VTC5's? How and when would the extra 5 MCA really make a difference? I'm using VTC5's in my Kanger Topbox Mini, (run it in TC nearly all the time and it uses all ~75W for that).
I would go with the LG HG2s or the Samsung 30Qs in a three battery mod in that case. They will tolerate running to 200 amps. I use the VTC4s, rather than the VTC5s, because the 4s will tolerate running to 30A without dangerous overheating, although operating them above 20A shortens their life. The 5s are a strict 20A battery and can not be safely run above the red line.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
...Keep in mind the VTC5 is the most cloned battery and the newer generation is not as good as the older (circa 2014) batteries.

Personally I like the 30Q, long life and pretty in pink. If I could get VTC5s like the two I have from late 2014 I wouldn't hesitate, but alas they are all gone.

I bought my VTC5's from RTDVapor, so I'm pretty sure they're legit. I don't know when they were made, though.

The 30Q's look good as well. I'll just pick up a set of either those or HG2's, whichever I can find a better deal on, (from reputable sources only, of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jdurand

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I got a dumb question...if AW re-wraps their cells...what cell is the 18350 a re-wrap of? Just curious...I've always known AW were re-wraps, but now my slightly intoxicated brain is wondering who the original manufacturer is?
They are supposed to be AESC cells, or so I have read. But I don't know that, or think anybody does.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I would go with the LG HG2s or the Samsung 30Qs in a three battery mod in that case. They will tolerate running to 200 amps. I use the VTC4s, rather than the VTC5s, because the 4s will tolerate running to 30A without dangerous overheating, although operating them above 20A shortens their life. The 5s are a strict 20A battery and can not be safely run above the red line.

I kind of wish I'd read all the specs before I chose between VTC4's and VTC5's. Still, the 5's last longer between charges, so I don't have too many regrets.

Thanks for your input. :)

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Three VTC5 are fine to run up to the full wattage of the RX200, which I highly doubt is 200 watts. You will just be running on the outer edge if running full throttle...

Yeah, I doubt it's a full 200W.. but what regulated mod really provides full advertised power? Anyway, I'll be running it well short of that, prolly max of 150W and usually lower.

Thanks for the help. :)

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Yeah, I doubt it's a full 200W.. but what regulated mod really provides full advertised power? Anyway, I'll be running it well short of that, prolly max of 150W and usually lower.

Thanks for the help. :)
I think the DNA200 comes close, but right most high powered devices don't come close to the advertised wattage.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It was generally accepted that AW re-wrapped other manufactured cells (probably Panasonic) a few years ago when all there was were protected ICR batteries. These ICR cells had "Assembled in China, Cell and IC made in Japan" on the shrink wrap label.

However, AW was the first to put IMR batteries on the market about four years ago. AW IMR batteries only said "Made in China". They are also the only brand to offer high quality 14500, 18350, and 18490/18500 IMR batteries. LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony don't make IMR/INR batteries in those sizes, so they are probably not re-wraps. I personally believe AW is making their own IMR batteries in China. I have no evidence to support this belief, just a paper trail.

AW's current top IMR battery, the 18650 3000mah 20 amp CDR, says "Made in Korea". Mooch said the performance profile of this cell matches those of the LG HG2, so it may be a re-wrap. AW 20A 3000mAh Flat-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...a good high-capacity 20A battery, could be an HG2

DSC_0358__68068.1438815284.1280.1280.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread