1st Obligatory Message: Musings on my year as an e-cig user and the online racket it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin

I've been using e-cigarettes for over a year…I haven’t had a traditional cigarette in that time. It was fairly easy to quit smoking. (All prior attempts were spectacular failures.) I'd be remiss if I did not say that it was time consuming to learn how to operate and clean the e-cigs and the accoutrements. By becoming a member I will be an elitists that can ask questions instead of just reading the threads for reference material. I hope to find an e-cigarette mentor, procure a new device and merchant that is reliable.

I won’t employ the term "vaping."I liken it to hipster college kids that always have their water bottles nearby while dancing to bad techno when “Rolling.” I never wanted to be part of a subculture that required a new verb to describe their behavior. However, this forum is the only e-cigarette library; therefore I am beholden to it. I tried to post a more amusing version of this post, it wasn't profane, however, this site censored it; which only evidences a my closing remarks.

English is my second language, so apologies in advance for what I probably sound like :)

Re e-cigs and the term "vaping": Thanks to the Norman Conquest, English is a fascinating hybrid of French and Anglo-Saxon. It has a rich history of adopting, rather than rejecting, foreign words; unlike many other languages, it was never "ethnically cleansed" of such words. Possibly as a result of such non-.... behavior, the language encourages word play, word adoption, and endless redefinitions. My pet theory is that this is why it has produced an unusual number of great authors, but that's not something I can prove, obviously.

Vaping fits that history. It is a very useful term, in that it describes an action, and sets the action apart from smoking. We are, after all, inhaling vapor, not smoke. It is exactly the kind of thing English speakers, used to playing with their language, would come up with. btw, turning verbs into nouns has a rich history; for Shakespeare, a noun was usually a verb waiting to happen. He would have had a field day with our internet speak.

We are, after all, inhaling vapor, not smoke.

This is the misconception I have been challenging.

You and I…all of us are inhaling chemicals reduced to a vapor. Do you know what those chemicals are? All that contributed to this post are eager to argue the point that we are inhaling a benign vapor and I can’t challenge misology. Therefore I will continue to wait on scientists and doctors to reveal the properties of the chemicals.

Then, the daunting work of regulating manufacturers can begin. No respectable parent would give their child unregulated medicine cooked up by a self appointed Internet doctor. Yet we adults are taking spectacular leaps of faith by inhaling chemicals cooked up by faceless Internet e-juice chefs. I am shocked by my own behavior but addiction is a villain that robs me of sensibility.

Sure I am inclined to give a nod to e-cigarettes because I didn't have bronchitis this year but I also remember a lot of thin people lauding Fen-Phen.

*Rhean: you should never apologize for your writing. It was thought provoking, respectful and very well written. Thank you.

I missed that broardsided attempt at tongue in cheek too.

I wasn't being tongue and cheek. I adapted a bluestocking bravado to agitate the antagonizing critics I was met with. It was also amusing; but I didn’t deviate from my position: Vaping is entirely too innocuous a word for inhaling unregulated chemicals. When kids huff at least the ingredients are reliably printed on the can. (The latter was tongue and cheek.)

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. BTW: I think a lot of my humor gets lost in cyber-translation. My family and friends enjoyed belly laughs over the post where I responded to what holidays were like at my house ; )

Last edited:

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
We are, after all, inhaling vapor, not smoke.
This is the misconception I have been challenging.

You and I…all of us are inhaling chemicals reduced to a vapor.
Congratualtions. You just contradicted yourself.

Do you know what those chemicals are?
That has been studied, and many of us have read those studies, and it continues to be studied. If you choose not to read the studies, that's your choice.

According to the studies I've read on this forum and the research I've conducted elsewhere (that isn't designed to prop up this sites plight) the ingredients are reported by vendors until inspectors can access all shops. The e-cigarette business grew exponentially and is right now unmanageable by the FDA…but they will get a vice grip on it. (I probably won’t like the results.) The January 2014 Consumer Report had good news but I suspect the testing was not based on random Internet juices...that was the crux of my argument. Switching to Blues might be best for me.

You are so concerned with your cause/win you just attacked one poorly constructed sentence, where I phrased a cogent thought with the nonsensical term you prefer. That does not contradict or negate a well constructed argument. You are reaching...you will need to reach further.

WHAT WE "VAPE" ARE CHEMICALS GOVERNED BY THE UNGOVERENED. That is the truth.

But I am certain every e-juice label is accurate, every lab is sterile and everything is just as you say it is.

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
I'm not sure why "vaping" implies benign.

"Vapour" is a state of matter (perhaps in a loose sense, I'm not sure it's considered one of the fundamental ones). You could vape chlorine if you wanted to (if mixed into the right carrier)... (don't though, it'll kill you in a horrible way)

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Linguistic contortions are comparatively easy in our language as it is an efficient framework for development. No accents, no noun sexes make it superb and way out in front in the modern era, compared to the baggage others have to cope with. Try looking up the equivalents for 'vaping' in other languages and you'll be glad we've got what we've got - others seem to use variants of 'steaming'. Reminds me too much of old trains.

Interestingly, Shakespeare used around 15,000 distinct words in his plays (probably invented a fair few of them too...)

There's even a unit for it, 'the bard'.

A modern secondary school leaver has on average a 60,000 word vocabulary - a tetrabard :) A lot of this is neologisms, naming, describing or otherwise associated with technology.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
WHAT WE "VAPE" ARE CHEMICALS GOVERNED BY THE UNGOVERENED. That is the truth.

But I am certain every e-juice label is accurate, every lab is sterile and everything is just as you say it is.

If you're worried about it, do what I do and mix your own juices. You can even leave out what are probably the highest risk ingredients, the flavorings.

Vape safe :thumb:

My criteria for a supplier was that they covered a lot and they supported (videos) vaping. I use MADvapes. They seem competitive and I have learned.

Hope helps,
Jere

Agreed. MADvapes not only has great prices but also great customer service. I usually have no issues with my orders but one time I did purchase 2 identical SmokTech tanks that both arrived with broken wicks. I emailed customer service with a pic of the tanks and they sent 2 new ones right out! Another time when they had just come out with their in-house e-juice, they randomly sent me a free 10mg bottle of the Lion Head Mudslide flavor (yum!)

bulldog63h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Elizabethton Tennessee
No one in this thread has said that vaping is as safe as inhaling only purified air. It is however, a safer alternative to smoking. Everyone becomes part of a subculture whether they want to or not. If you prefer to use a mac over any other OS, you are part of that subculture. You don't necessarily have to actively participate in any group though. If you don't like the term vape, you aren't forced to use it. This community isn't here to force you to do anything you are uncomfortable with, word and phrase usage included. I hope you will come to realize that we are a laid back and welcoming community. We may not always agree on everything but are generally accepting of alternative thinking and opinions. We, in general, seek knowledge and are open to new discoveries, no matter the subject.

All that being said, vendors that I have had good relationships with are as follows
ECigExpress, that's where my wife and I buy our products for DIY E-liquid
MyVaporStore, I had a faulty Mod from them. They went against their own regulations and sent out a new unit before the other was returned, so I would not be without a variable voltage device.
Provape, I have had no issues with my Provari as of now, but I rest assured that, should an issue arise, it will be handled professionally and satisfactorily.

There are other vendors I have used but don't remember. Welcome to the forum. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
AD NAUSEUM.

I have an opinion; I evidentially supported it and defended it ad nauseam. I have adequately deliberated this subject and am done.

Most of you disagreed with my position: I lost no sleep.

Madsquatter, you can keep barking the same command when I just directed you to a new article.

The rest of you may debate the effects of bleach in a vaporizer without the benefit of my input as I am and going to enjoy life offline.

Cheers!

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada